SMTP Replication between Sites

I am trying to get ready for the 219 tomorrow and I need some clarification
on an issue. From what I can tell this is the facts about SMTP replication.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

**You can replicate traffic between sites using RPC or SMTP. SMTP
replication is only good for Intersite replication and cannot be for the
same domain, because it cannot replicate Sysvol.

If this is the case then what would be replicated between two sites that
house two different domains? Would it be a copy of the schema and the
configuration portion of the AD?

Please help me to clear this up in my crammed head.

Thanks,
Preacher Man

The global catalog would be another thing that is replicated. Correct?

"Preacher Man" <nospam> wrote in message
>I am trying to get ready for the 219 tomorrow and I need some clarification
> on an issue. From what I can tell this is the facts about SMTP
> replication.
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> **You can replicate traffic between sites using RPC or SMTP. SMTP
> replication is only good for Intersite replication and cannot be for the
> same domain, because it cannot replicate Sysvol.
>
> If this is the case then what would be replicated between two sites that
> house two different domains? Would it be a copy of the schema and the
> configuration portion of the AD?
>
> Please help me to clear this up in my crammed head.
>
> Thanks,
> Preacher Man

Config., Schema, GC partial replicas and app. NCs are supported.

--
Dean Wells [MVP / Directory Services]
MSEtechnology

Preacher Man wrote:
> The global catalog would be another thing that is replicated. Correct?
>
> "Preacher Man" <nospam> wrote in message
>> I am trying to get ready for the 219 tomorrow and I need some
>> clarification on an issue. From what I can tell this is the facts
>> about SMTP replication.
>> Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>> **You can replicate traffic between sites using RPC or SMTP. SMTP
>> replication is only good for Intersite replication and cannot be for
>> the same domain, because it cannot replicate Sysvol.
>>
>> If this is the case then what would be replicated between two sites
>> that house two different domains? Would it be a copy of the schema
>> and the configuration portion of the AD?
>>
>> Please help me to clear this up in my crammed head.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Preacher Man

Yes, SMTP replication replicates the Global Catalog.

SMTP replication also replicates the Configuration and Schema naming
contexts (partitions).

SMTP replication doesn't replicate the domain naming context.

SMTP replication is only available Intersite.

Note. (An aside, that may be helpful). RPC and IP replication are one and
the same. They are both RPC over IP, but are displayed within the GUI
differently.

--
Paul Williams
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services