Sign in with
Your question

How long would a 7900GT last me?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 17, 2006 12:02:07 AM

I am getting a new computer soon (Upgrading from a P4 2.4ghts, 1.5gb of ram, and a dying eVGA Geforce 6600GT AGP) and my next card will probably be a 7900gt.

The games I play now are

CS:S
Quake 4
BF2

And I wanna have a card that will be able to last me playing games for atleas a year on Highish settings at 1280x1024.

Will this card last me awile?

More about : long 7900gt

July 17, 2006 12:26:52 AM

For a little more cash you could get an open box X1900 XT; much faster than a 7900GT while also offering other nice features.

OpenEXR HDR and antialiasing support
High quality anisotropic filtering that is not angle dependant
AVIVO features

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
July 17, 2006 12:53:27 AM

I have a 7900gt, and it runs all of those games at maxxed settings(except Quake 4, which want a 512 MB video card to run on ultra settings). also runs oblivion at maxed settings, except for view distance. I only plan to use it until DX10 card come out.
Related resources
July 17, 2006 1:12:24 AM

I dont know if New topic = new post sinec I coudnt find it, but I saw that you posted saying the x1900 had these features.

AVIVO features

What is OpenEXR HDR (I know what HDR is though)? Why cant the 7900GT do both at the same time?

What do you mean AF that is not angle dependant? Like the whole way around an object (Such as the player?)

AVIVO....what is that?
July 17, 2006 1:12:47 AM

Quote:
I am getting a new computer soon (Upgrading from a P4 2.4ghts, 1.5gb of ram, and a dying eVGA Geforce 6600GT AGP) and my next card will probably be a 7900gt.

how is it dying..
July 17, 2006 1:15:21 AM

Low framerates in all my games, and even old games like Doom with the jdoom version will go into 30s sometimes....can barely 10-15 fps in HL2 on high settings....when my friend gets 70.
July 17, 2006 1:18:58 AM

Quote:
I dont know if New topic = new post sinec I coudnt find it, but I saw that you posted saying the x1900 had these features.

AVIVO features

What is OpenEXR HDR (I know what HDR is though)? Why cant the 7900GT do both at the same time?

What do you mean AF that is not angle dependant? Like the whole way around an object (Such as the player?)

AVIVO....what is that?
OpenEXR HDR/ FP16 is the most common form of HDR found in games and Nvidia hardware simply can't use antialiasing with it, unless a workaround is implemented which often hurts performance severely. High quality anisotropic filtering can sharpen textures better even at angles where normal anisotropic filtering can not, and AVIVO for GPU accelerated tasks such as encoding and watching videos.
July 17, 2006 1:25:24 AM

K, thanks.
July 17, 2006 1:48:23 AM

It should last you long enough until maybe the end of next year. That is with a decent performance by then. But remember DX10 will come out probably when Vista roll out as well but I don't think all games would be all DX10 format but it should be backward-compatible with todays current DX9.c software. So by the end of next year that 7900GT would become somewhat the 6600 of today in terms of performance but that is just my guesstimation as gaming requirements could exponentionally increase.
!