Several Totally Newb Question Regarding Expansions

OK, I'm just starting Morrowind over the last few days. (I'm starting
to think my level 4 char is pretty tough now if that gives you a clue).

I'm coming from Neverwinter Nights and loving Morrowind just as much,
but as I'm sure you know they're apples and oranges, which leads me to
my question:

I got the Game of the Year edition and it came with Tribunal and
Bloodmoon.

The game was fully playable after just installing Morrowind. Now in
NWN, additional modules are COMPLETELY seperate entities than the
original, other than using the same engine. Am I getting it right that
when you install the expansions in Morrowind, they are not totally new
scenarios, but that they add additional items, NPC's, quests, etc into
the ORIGINAL Morrowind campaign? If that's not it, what exactly do you get?

If that is the case, is it possible to create totally seperate scenarios
with the construction kit?

Also, I had been playing Morrowind a few days before I decided to see
what I'd get if I installed Tribunal. Should I uninstall Tribunal and
just play through the original Morrowind, and then install Tribunal to
go through again from the start? Or should I install all 3 and start
from the beginning? What are the pros and cons?

John Baker <baker-j@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>OK, I'm just starting Morrowind over the last few days. (I'm starting
>to think my level 4 char is pretty tough now if that gives you a clue).

I'm a noob too.

>I'm coming from Neverwinter Nights and loving Morrowind just as much

I think you'll come to find that you like Morrowind even more. As I
recall from playing NWN, it wasn't as linear as, say, Dungeon Siege,
but it was still somewhat limited and linear. Morrowind is not - it's
wide open, letting you do anything you want, whenever you want. The
quests are fun, but I'm also having a blast just wandering around
looking at the scenery.

>The game was fully playable after just installing Morrowind. Now in
>NWN, additional modules are COMPLETELY seperate entities than the
>original, other than using the same engine. Am I getting it right that
>when you install the expansions in Morrowind, they are not totally new
>scenarios, but that they add additional items, NPC's, quests, etc into
>the ORIGINAL Morrowind campaign? If that's not it, what exactly do you get?

You are correct. The Morrowind expansions give you new places you can
go, and new plots and quests to follow, but you don't have to until
and unless you want to. The expansions are completely integrated into
the original game (much like expansions in Everquest, if you're
familiar with that). Of course, that's not to say that the expansions
won't make an effort to get your attention. As I understand it, the
assassin that tried to whack me early on had something to do with one
of the expansions, even though I hadn't yet left the south west
regions of the main island.

>If that is the case, is it possible to create totally seperate scenarios
>with the construction kit?

As I understand it, yes.

>Also, I had been playing Morrowind a few days before I decided to see
>what I'd get if I installed Tribunal. Should I uninstall Tribunal and
>just play through the original Morrowind, and then install Tribunal to
>go through again from the start? Or should I install all 3 and start
>from the beginning? What are the pros and cons?

Install all three right away. The only con I know of is the assassin
attack I mentioned (it's relatively easy to survive it, and it gets
you some spiffy armor). After that, you can pretty much ignore the
associated quest(s) until you're ready. The pros are that you'll have
the latest version of the game executable, a richer play space, and
more options available to you when you want them.

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net

John Baker wrote:

> OK, I'm just starting Morrowind over the last few days. (I'm starting
> to think my level 4 char is pretty tough now if that gives you a clue).
>
> I'm coming from Neverwinter Nights and loving Morrowind just as much,
> but as I'm sure you know they're apples and oranges, which leads me to
> my question:
>
> I got the Game of the Year edition and it came with Tribunal and Bloodmoon.
>
> The game was fully playable after just installing Morrowind. Now in
> NWN, additional modules are COMPLETELY seperate entities than the
> original, other than using the same engine. Am I getting it right that
> when you install the expansions in Morrowind, they are not totally new
> scenarios, but that they add additional items, NPC's, quests, etc into
> the ORIGINAL Morrowind campaign? If that's not it, what exactly do you
> get?
>
> If that is the case, is it possible to create totally seperate scenarios
> with the construction kit?
>
> Also, I had been playing Morrowind a few days before I decided to see
> what I'd get if I installed Tribunal. Should I uninstall Tribunal and
> just play through the original Morrowind, and then install Tribunal to
> go through again from the start? Or should I install all 3 and start
> from the beginning? What are the pros and cons?

Just install everything. It won't kill you too much. Save before you sleep.

Most of Tribunal takes place in Mournhold (off the main map), and
Bloodmoon happens on that island up there. For most of the main map, you
will have no idea that either addition has been added. You will get an
occasional assassin coming after you, but that's not a big deal if you
survive.

CH

John Baker wrote:

> The game was fully playable after just installing Morrowind. Now in
> NWN, additional modules are COMPLETELY seperate entities than the
> original, other than using the same engine. Am I getting it right that
> when you install the expansions in Morrowind, they are not totally new
> scenarios, but that they add additional items, NPC's, quests, etc into
> the ORIGINAL Morrowind campaign? If that's not it, what exactly do you
> get?

Morrowind expansions add and integrate content to the game world. They
are not seperated from the original content. There are also tons of
unofficial mods and some offical mods which add just more content,
areas, quests or factions to the world. Unlike NWN, almost all Morrowind
mods integrate things smoothly into the existing world.

> If that is the case, is it possible to create totally seperate scenarios
> with the construction kit?

Possible and done. There are some "Total conversions" which are - like
NWN mods - completely new worlds, but those are quite rare. Most mods
follow the "add & integrate" concept.

> Also, I had been playing Morrowind a few days before I decided to see
> what I'd get if I installed Tribunal. Should I uninstall Tribunal and
> just play through the original Morrowind, and then install Tribunal to
> go through again from the start? Or should I install all 3 and start
> from the beginning? What are the pros and cons?

Install the expansions. Especially one feature which comes with Tribunal
enhances the Journal functionality. Even if you don't visit the Tribunal
area for a long time, you don't want to miss the improved Journal.
Otherwise the only difference to a vanilla Morrowind is, you will get
attacked occasionally by some special enemies, but that's nothing to
worry about (the attackers strength depends on your level, so your level
4 char won't get slaughtered), rather offers some good money source at
the beginning.

Generally you can transit between vanilla Morrowind areas and the
expansion areas smoothly. And if you don't want to visit the expansion
areas for some time, then just don't go there.

Peter

Lokari wrote:
> John Baker <baker-j@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> OK, I'm just starting Morrowind over the last few days. (I'm
>> starting
>> to think my level 4 char is pretty tough now if that gives you a
>> clue).
>
> I'm a noob too.
>
>> I'm coming from Neverwinter Nights and loving Morrowind just as much
>
> I think you'll come to find that you like Morrowind even more. As I
> recall from playing NWN, it wasn't as linear as, say, Dungeon Siege,
> but it was still somewhat limited and linear. Morrowind is not - it's
> wide open, letting you do anything you want, whenever you want. The
> quests are fun, but I'm also having a blast just wandering around
> looking at the scenery.
>
>> The game was fully playable after just installing Morrowind. Now in
>> NWN, additional modules are COMPLETELY seperate entities than the
>> original, other than using the same engine. Am I getting it right
>> that when you install the expansions in Morrowind, they are not
>> totally new scenarios, but that they add additional items, NPC's,
>> quests, etc into
>> the ORIGINAL Morrowind campaign? If that's not it, what exactly do
>> you get?
>
> You are correct. The Morrowind expansions give you new places you can
> go, and new plots and quests to follow, but you don't have to until
> and unless you want to. The expansions are completely integrated into
> the original game (much like expansions in Everquest, if you're
> familiar with that). Of course, that's not to say that the expansions
> won't make an effort to get your attention. As I understand it, the
> assassin that tried to whack me early on had something to do with one
> of the expansions, even though I hadn't yet left the south west
> regions of the main island.
>

>> If that is the case, is it possible to create totally seperate
>> scenarios with the construction kit?
>
> As I understand it, yes.
>

>> Also, I had been playing Morrowind a few days before I decided to see
>> what I'd get if I installed Tribunal. Should I uninstall Tribunal
>> and
>> just play through the original Morrowind, and then install Tribunal
>> go through again from the start? Or should I install all 3 and start
>> from the beginning? What are the pros and cons?
>
> Install all three right away. The only con I know of is the assassin
> attack I mentioned (it's relatively easy to survive it, and it gets
> you some spiffy armor). After that, you can pretty much ignore the
> associated quest(s) until you're ready. The pros are that you'll have
> the latest version of the game executable, a richer play space, and
> more options available to you when you want them.

*AND* it will patch the journaling mechanism. Installing Tribunal will
fix the journal bug. Tribunal is also where the Dark Brotherhood
assassins are after you every time you sleep. There is a way to dispel
these attacks without making the journey yet. Just talk to any guard,
mention the Dark Brotherhood and you get some further instructions,
follow those, go where and talk with the person named. The attacks
stop.
Bloodmoon actually installs a new island off the NW coast of Morrowind
itself. I know someone who simply swam over :) But there is a boat
that will take you also. Tribunal is an "offmap" space, a bubble, if
you will. Only one way to get there. Flying magic no workee there too
:)
McG.

> --
> Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
> www.lokari.net

icon

John Baker wrote:

> If that is the case, is it possible to create totally seperate scenarios
> with the construction kit?

Yes, you can, but over and above that, you can add in to the existing
game, which you could not do with NWN.
More quests, more items, more creatures.
http://www.thelys.org is a great resource for mods, all are tested and
of high quality. (make sure you get Better Heads from there, makes all
the NPCs much better)

Check out the mods forum at the official forums at www.elderscrolls.com

Also, check out some of the packs which vastly improve the graphics of
the game.

Check out Better Heads from http://facesofvvardenfell.com which makes a
big difference to the way the NPCs look. (also available from TheLys
which I listed above)

Also check out http://home.tiscali.co.za/~31003603/ for some more
graphics replacers as well as some screenshots.
The last one is my page BTW.

Icon wrote:
> John Baker wrote:
>> If that is the case, is it possible to create totally seperate
>> scenarios with the construction kit?

> Yes, you can, but over and above that, you can add in to the existing
> game, which you could not do with NWN.

Actually you can (don't know if it would be legal to distribute though).
(If it's something anyone wants to know about, email me - I'm intimate
with the NWN toolset & scripting).

But anyway, both great games.

Thanks to all in this thread for pointing me in the right direction with
Morrowind. I decided to go ahead and install the Tribunal and Bloodmoon
expansions and restart my game.