Physix card problems.....

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Well i just recently popped in my physix card(want to play some GRAW and SoF) and i put my temperature sensor on it, and about 1 1/2 hours into gameplay, the card gets hot and the sensor display is reading 52 celsisus. Now my sensor is off most of the time, by 5-8 degrees, so about 60 degrees celsius. Now im packing 2 7900GTXs, and a x-fi xtrememusic sound card, with the physix card at the bottom. It doesnt get too much airflow, so im curious of what i could fit on the bottom of my case to keep it cooler in the future. I put a box fan on my desk to relieve some stress of it, and the 7900GTXs, and its working for now.

My main question is, "What can i use to cool that physix card when i decide to pop it back in permantely?" I only have about 2 inches from the bottom of the case, to the card(from the fan to the bottom is about a inch-inch and half) Would a 80mm or a 120 fit down there? Theres no screwholes to hold the fan down, i may use tie wraps and tie them to holes that i might have to drill in the case. Im really out of options except for the drilling option. All advice and requests are of course accepted and appreciated. Thanks.

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
You bought a physics card? I thought those things were a dud (at the moment)?

But.. as for cooling, I don't think there's really an option at the moment. Maybe you could somehow... mount a regular fan close to it?

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Have you thought about one of those... PCI slot fans? I think I saw one that blows air up (or down), so you could just put that in the PCI slot above (or below) the Physx card.

I'll see if I can find it, I can't remember where I saw it.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I do know what your talking about, and i did buy one, but do the unfortunate circumstances of the card being at the bottom of the PCI slots, theres no extra slot of where i can put one in. So i had to return it. So thats why i need a alternative of how to cool this thing down.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Watercooling is a interesting idea, but it would cost to much just to cool down 1 card, Im going to try sliding a 80mm fan or 2 next to it and see how it does. Any other advice is still welcome.

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Other than a temp sensor reading, you didn't say that it's actually overheating and crashing, etc. Is it? If not then what's the issue? You could put better case fans in. Or run the pc with the cover off, and alternately point a small table fan into the case for tons of air flow. How hot is the room the PC is in? You could possibly find a replacement fan for the PhysX card.

NeonDeon

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
"You bought a physics card? I thought those things were a dud" :lol:

Yeah they are duds, and since this will built into the next versions of Nvida and ATI graphics processing units you just blew money. It may not be that big of a deal to blow $240, but the friend suckered you! Those things don't work right yet!!! Never ever buy something that is completely new to the market!!! If you would just waited until the end of the year or early next year you would have not had to worry about the heat problems and air circulation.....

Oh well lesson learned. It's not always best to be the guy with the latest and greatest stuff. a coworker of mine just had to be the first person to have a Plasma TV, he got it about 3 years ago and paid $4000 and some change for a 40 inch!!!! 8O Hell you can buy two for that price now!!!

And there was an article form Tom's hardware about these things just a few weeks ago. Did you not read it???[/quote]

VillageIdiot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2005
See if you can return the card for your money back. Read that article they had on here a few weeks ago if you don't believe me (us).

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I do have the case off of it, i do have a box fan on my desk blowing in air, but its on the bottom PCI slot and its not getting much airflow still. The AC in the room isnt on all day(i wish it was) but when it is, during morning, and evening(8:00am to 12:30pm/5:00pm to next morning) I dont have the card in all the time, i have it in its packaging so i can use it later. But i just popped it in recently just to play some GRAW. Hope i can do something to make it cooler for the future.

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
If you have a box or table fan blowing air into an open PC, then it's getting as much airflow as it will ever get. Unless you need your cards to chill beer, they're doing fine.

And don't listen to those that put down the PhysX card. Everyone has their own little agendas and we're all guessing. I'll sum up the entire issue for you:
1 - 60 developers are working on over 100 games for the PhysX card. They have had the cards about 8 months now to play with and learn how to make use of it.
2 - GRAW was about completed and they quickly slapped in a little use of the card. And some driver issues had to be worked out.
3 - The big budget titles take years to finish.
4 - Better physics and AI in games is the new trend. HAVOC is a player as well in all this.
5 - ATI and nVidia only make video cards. They also want people to want to buy as many as possible for the most profit to shareholders.
6 - ATI and nVidia have announced solutions that, big surprise, require multiple GFX cards. Both solutions are still announcements from the lab and nothing you can purchase for quite a while yet.
7 - We don't have any idea when there will be games out that support one, both, or either of these vendors solutions (see #3).
8 - Crytek seems to be doing some amazing things without the use of PhysX, Crossfire, or SLI solutions.
9 - DX10 cards will be out around Christmas.
10 - The PhysX chip could even end up on motherboards.
11 - As all this unfolds over the next year, we'll see new GFX drivers fixing problems, and lots of game patches.

So don't worry, your card will get used as the games get released. But as someone pointed out, the early adopters of new tech pay a premium price for early gratification.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Hey scifiman, that whole thing you stated right there really changed my perspective on my physix card, and to think, i was ready to go on ebay and make a account to sell the thing. Lol. Yea, i think ill keep it for now, go ahead, doubt me......But i got a bargain, so ill be fine for now. Anyways thanks guys, specially scifiman. :D

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
To be fair we have only seen 1 game really use the PhysX card so it's hard to get a proper evaluation of how it will work later on. Mind you, I wouldn't buy one and it's always risky buying into a technology that has no real use at the time.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I do see what your saying......He is a little Too convincing. Should i sell this PPU on ebay or try to sell it off someone for that matter? Or hold on to it, and hope for better drivers and results?

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
HA! You dumb fools. Some stranger on an Internet forum says something, and everyone goes that direction. Then another stranger says the opposite, and y'all run that way. Then there is another counter statement, and all the chicken littles get all confused.

Except for whatever is in my mutual fund, I own no stocks and couldn't care less if they survive. But I sure hope they do because we need much better physic in games. Look, I'm convincing because, A) I'm an educated writer that's been in IT for 26 years, B) I'm old enough to have seen the very first discrete graphics card and remember the long time it took for everyone to figure out that was a good idea, and C) I just made reasonable common sense descriptions of this current issue. I actually had to go back and edit my posting because I spelled them Aegis at first. Never pointed anyone to a home page. Never said it was good or bad, just stating the facts. But I can show you a lot of postings where others here have a very strong bias against PhysX (even though none of us have enough data to decide yet), and some very strong slant towards ATI or nvidia.

For Gods Sakes people, do some research beyond strangers postings on a forum, apply some common sense, and think for yourselves. I would like to see someone comment on my posting line by line and show the world which part of it isn't plain common sense.

BTW, I don't have a PhysX yet because I'm waiting for more info on it and a must have game. I also don't have Crossfire or SLI for that matter. I think a single midrange video card is good enough, coupled with a midrange CPU and having a co-processor like a PhysX would be better and much cheaper than buying 2 or 3 GFX cards. The only products I advocate are AMD, Subaru, Mazda, and Mountain Dew. I own both a X1600Pro 512 and GeForce 6800GS. Both work very well for what I use them for.

And don't listen to those that put down the PhysX card. Everyone has their own little agendas

No agenda, here, I was positive about them, now I'm positive that they won't succeed. No agenda just sober look at the industry like I always do. You trying to build them up by tearing others down shows you have little else to contribute to the discussion other than smoke.

5 - ATI and nVidia only make video cards.

No they don't and the fact that you don't know that shows you don't know jack about the tech industry!

They also want people to want to buy as many as possible for the most profit to shareholders.

So that's different from every other company how? These aren't non-profit altruistic entities we're talking about. And they don't care how many people buy unless it profits the company/shareholders, if selling more meant more profits (which can be the case when you can get a higher price/unit).

6 - ATI and nVidia have announced solutions that, big surprise, require multiple GFX cards. Both solutions are still announcements from the lab and nothing you can purchase for quite a while yet.

Actually you can purchase all the compents right now, and they have been selling for a while. The implementation however relies on yet to be launched software, which is similar to Ageia's situation.

7 - We don't have any idea when there will be games out that support one, both, or either of these vendors solutions (see #3).

Actually we have an idea that UT2K7 will be showcasing PPU, Crysis will be showcasing VPU-physics. Both are seen as the seminal titles for these solutions.

8 - Crytek seems to be doing some amazing things without the use of PhysX, Crossfire, or SLI solutions.

VPU phsyics doesn't need Xfire or SLi, and Crytek already said they are using VPU phsyics as their phsyics co-processor.

9 - DX10 cards will be out around Christmas.

Somewhat of a non-sequitir, since they will still be there before the titles (which is already Ageia's problem from a physics perspective).

10 - The PhysX chip could even end up on motherboards.

VPUs are already on motherboards, and will be there in the future too. So possible versus current reality.

11 - As all this unfolds over the next year, we'll see new GFX drivers fixing problems, and lots of game patches.

Once again a non-sequitir, driver fixes were release for the PPU too. Difference is that the biggest PC gaming platform M$ Windows , will be going the VPU route with DirectPhysics, therefore if anything were to offer better integration and the possibility of less problems, it would be a VPU based solution. Agei will probably do their best to ensure the least number of issues possible, but if you're talking driver support, I'd go with the M$-style solution when considering stability.

So don't worry, your card will get used as the games get released. But as someone pointed out, the early adopters of new tech pay a premium price for early gratification.

However there's little early gratification except for hard core GRAW players.

The Ageia was launched either before it's time (before the apps) or after it's time (early they would've been the only game in town).

Early adopters are likely just going to be dissapointed (on so many levels). If the PPU does succeed the best bet is buying just before the killer app for it arrives, and for Ageia that's probably UT2K7.