DNS lookup problem

I have recently created a new 2000 AD Domain based on an existing registered
domain name for example (Apex.com). My internal and external domain site
names are exactly the same. Everything is working fine except that now when I
try to access www.Apex.com it comes up with "page not found" error page.
Other internet searches are working fine. I have also created & enabled
Forwarders with DNS servers of my ISP to fix the problem but to no avail. Any
help to resolve this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Khurram.
(kaliforniakhurram@hotmail.com)

kaliforniakhurram wrote:
> I have recently created a new 2000 AD Domain based on an existing registered
> domain name for example (Apex.com). My internal and external domain site
> names are exactly the same. Everything is working fine except that now when I
> try to access www.Apex.com it comes up with "page not found" error page.
> Other internet searches are working fine. I have also created & enabled
> Forwarders with DNS servers of my ISP to fix the problem but to no avail. Any
> help to resolve this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Probably You will have to add entries for your external names like
www.apex.com with different IP addresses in Your internal DNS server.

--
Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
http://www.w2k.pl

>I have recently created a new 2000 AD Domain based on an existing
>registered domain name for example (Apex.com).

Just so you know this isn’t recommend by MS. MS recommends using the
local extension for Internal DNS domains to avoid conflicts and also
for security. I know it "can" be configured to run but it is a real
pain because you basically have two IP’s with the same name.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-DNS-lookup-problem-ftopict376756.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1227258

I'm not so sure this isn't a recommend practice. With DNS configurations
there's a number of way of doing it. A lot of MSFT people recommend a
different internal suffix true, but lots also recommend a delegated child of
the external namespace. All are supported. Personally, I've never found
split-brain DNS to be a problem and prefer it for aesthetic reasons to the
other options that MSFT recommend.

--
Paul Williams
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

>I’m not so sure this isn’t a recommend practice. With DNS
>configurations there’s a number of way of doing it.

Hi,

I cannot actually find the whitepapers refering to it now. However,
in the Microsoft DNS whitepapers and also in the Microsoft Technet
seminars on setting up Windows 2000 Domains it was recommended to use
the .local extension rather than an external DNS extension for any
internal DNS.

For myself I have troubleshooted many networks with DNS issues that
were a direct result of a user using an external DNS. Sometimes they
just picked one they liked whether they had registered it or not.

If you are experience with DNS, it is quite possible to setup a
working internal DNS with an external DNS name. However, it takes some
skill to define the zones and set it up correctly.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1705094