Backing Up In Windows XP

Hello, please excuse me if I'm posting to an incorrect
group. Can anyone tell me how to do an old fashioned
full backup of my system? I'm using Windows XP and
Microsoft 2000 (?). I have looked everywhere I can find
to look and don't find anywhere to do this. Obviously I
am a novice and am looking for answers to basic
questions. Any help or direction would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks Janet
15 answers Last reply
More about backing windows

    Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

    HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Janet" wrote:

    | Hello, please excuse me if I'm posting to an incorrect
    | group. Can anyone tell me how to do an old fashioned
    | full backup of my system? I'm using Windows XP and
    | Microsoft 2000 (?). I have looked everywhere I can find
    | to look and don't find anywhere to do this. Obviously I
    | am a novice and am looking for answers to basic
    | questions. Any help or direction would be greatly
    | appreciated. Thanks Janet

    Carey,

    Thank you so much I will try to follow these instructions.

    Janet

    us;308422&Product=winxp

    >--
    >Carey Frisch
    >Microsoft MVP
    >Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    >Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.
    aspx

    ------------------

    >"Janet" wrote:
    >
    >| Hello, please excuse me if I'm posting to an incorrect
    >| group. Can anyone tell me how to do an old fashioned
    >| full backup of my system? I'm using Windows XP and
    >| Microsoft 2000 (?). I have looked everywhere I can
    find
    >| to look and don't find anywhere to do this. Obviously
    >| am a novice and am looking for answers to basic
    >| questions. Any help or direction would be greatly
    >| appreciated. Thanks Janet
    >.

    While the NT Backup is found on your XP disc or recovery disk in the
    valueadd\msft\ntbackup folder you should know that backups made with NT
    Backup can only be copied to your existing hard drive and you cannot copy
    them with NT Backup to disk unless you make backups of 620MB or so. This is
    impossible for a beginner or even most advanced users as you need to ensure
    all components of a program are on the same disk. NT Backup does not have
    disk spanning.(end the copying process on one disk and start on the next).
    For a proper and complete backup of your entire system to discs for future
    reinstall you will need a 3rd party software program like Ghost.

    You need to use third party software for this. The Backup program that ships
    with XP is not a good option at all. There are several decent programs. I
    use Acronis TrueImage but have also used Norton Ghost, Drive Image and
    BootIt NG. Do a search on google.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Janet" <livingfreeforever@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, please excuse me if I'm posting to an incorrect
    > group. Can anyone tell me how to do an old fashioned
    > full backup of my system? I'm using Windows XP and
    > Microsoft 2000 (?). I have looked everywhere I can find
    > to look and don't find anywhere to do this. Obviously I
    > am a novice and am looking for answers to basic
    > questions. Any help or direction would be greatly
    > appreciated. Thanks Janet

    I suggest that you download a trial of BackUpMyPc,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314855&Product=winxp
    and see if this is what you want before you buy.

    The Unknown P wrote:
    > While the NT Backup is found on your XP disc or recovery disk in the
    > valueadd\msft\ntbackup folder you should know that backups made with NT
    > Backup can only be copied to your existing hard drive and you cannot copy
    > them with NT Backup to disk unless you make backups of 620MB or so. This is
    > impossible for a beginner or even most advanced users as you need to ensure
    > all components of a program are on the same disk. NT Backup does not have
    > disk spanning.(end the copying process on one disk and start on the next).
    > For a proper and complete backup of your entire system to discs for future
    > reinstall you will need a 3rd party software program like Ghost.

    Or just copy your hard drive to a (larger) Maxtor USB 2.0 drive.

    I am running windows XP Professional and trying to follow the directions by
    Ed Bott using the Wizard and backing up to the D drive as recommended. When I
    type in the name of the file, I get a message that says" Please ensure that
    it is a valid path and that you have access to it" - From what I trying to
    backup on the computer is not a good idea. I do not have a Zip drive and want
    to install Windows SP2. How important is it to backup the computer first?

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > I suggest that you download a trial of BackUpMyPc,
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314855&Product=winxp
    > and see if this is what you want before you buy.
    >
    > "Janet" <livingfreeforever@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello, please excuse me if I'm posting to an incorrect
    > > group. Can anyone tell me how to do an old fashioned
    > > full backup of my system? I'm using Windows XP and
    > > Microsoft 2000 (?). I have looked everywhere I can find
    > > to look and don't find anywhere to do this. Obviously I
    > > am a novice and am looking for answers to basic
    > > questions. Any help or direction would be greatly
    > > appreciated. Thanks Janet

    Is the D drive a CD or DVD writer? If yes, XP backup cannot backup directly
    to CD unless you have third party packet writing software such as the Drag
    to Disk component of Easy Media Creator, www.roxio.com or the InCD component
    of Nero, www.nero.com installed.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "NEED HELP" <doleary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running windows XP Professional and trying to follow the directions by
    > Ed Bott using the Wizard and backing up to the D drive as recommended.
    > When I
    > type in the name of the file, I get a message that says" Please ensure
    > that
    > it is a valid path and that you have access to it" - From what I trying to
    > backup on the computer is not a good idea. I do not have a Zip drive and
    > want
    > to install Windows SP2. How important is it to backup the computer first?
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> I suggest that you download a trial of BackUpMyPc,
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314855&Product=winxp
    >> and see if this is what you want before you buy.
    >>
    >> "Janet" <livingfreeforever@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello, please excuse me if I'm posting to an incorrect
    >> > group. Can anyone tell me how to do an old fashioned
    >> > full backup of my system? I'm using Windows XP and
    >> > Microsoft 2000 (?). I have looked everywhere I can find
    >> > to look and don't find anywhere to do this. Obviously I
    >> > am a novice and am looking for answers to basic
    >> > questions. Any help or direction would be greatly
    >> > appreciated. Thanks Janet

    Based on experiences reported by others, there is some risk in not backing
    up first. Download a trial version of one of the commercial backup programs
    and use that. Be sure to save the installer and put it on a cd so that you
    can reinstall the backup program in case you have major problems.

    "NEED HELP" <doleary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running windows XP Professional and trying to follow the directions by
    > Ed Bott using the Wizard and backing up to the D drive as recommended.
    > When I
    > type in the name of the file, I get a message that says" Please ensure
    > that
    > it is a valid path and that you have access to it" - From what I trying to
    > backup on the computer is not a good idea. I do not have a Zip drive and
    > want
    > to install Windows SP2. How important is it to backup the computer first?
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> I suggest that you download a trial of BackUpMyPc,
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314855&Product=winxp
    >> and see if this is what you want before you buy.
    >>
    >> "Janet" <livingfreeforever@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello, please excuse me if I'm posting to an incorrect
    >> > group. Can anyone tell me how to do an old fashioned
    >> > full backup of my system? I'm using Windows XP and
    >> > Microsoft 2000 (?). I have looked everywhere I can find
    >> > to look and don't find anywhere to do this. Obviously I
    >> > am a novice and am looking for answers to basic
    >> > questions. Any help or direction would be greatly
    >> > appreciated. Thanks Janet

    Making a backup of your important files is always a prudent idea when
    installing a major update like a Service Pack. Personally I haven't had any
    problems and have installed it many times to a variety of different setups.
    If you want to be safe download BootIt NG
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html which is a 30 day fully
    functional trialware program. With the download create a bootable CD or
    floppy. Boot with the disc. Do not choose the option to install when asked
    just cancel that and you will have access to a number of Disk Tools. One of
    these will create an image of your current setup and you can either opt to
    burn to CD/DVD or you can save the image to a second drive. This image will
    be good for 30 days but will time out but that gives you plenty of time to
    install SP2 and see if there are problems with it.

    In my experience downloading the full SP2 is a better option that using the
    Windows Update Site. You should do a decent disk cleanup. Make sure you
    remove spyware. Defrag. Turn off AV program and install SP2.

    You can download the full SP2 from
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

    If you decide to use BootIt NG you will see that it is an excellent program
    and decide you want to purchase it. --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "NEED HELP" <doleary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running windows XP Professional and trying to follow the directions by
    > Ed Bott using the Wizard and backing up to the D drive as recommended.
    > When I
    > type in the name of the file, I get a message that says" Please ensure
    > that
    > it is a valid path and that you have access to it" - From what I trying to
    > backup on the computer is not a good idea. I do not have a Zip drive and
    > want
    > to install Windows SP2. How important is it to backup the computer first?
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> I suggest that you download a trial of BackUpMyPc,
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314855&Product=winxp
    >> and see if this is what you want before you buy.
    >>
    >> "Janet" <livingfreeforever@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello, please excuse me if I'm posting to an incorrect
    >> > group. Can anyone tell me how to do an old fashioned
    >> > full backup of my system? I'm using Windows XP and
    >> > Microsoft 2000 (?). I have looked everywhere I can find
    >> > to look and don't find anywhere to do this. Obviously I
    >> > am a novice and am looking for answers to basic
    >> > questions. Any help or direction would be greatly
    >> > appreciated. Thanks Janet

    Wouldn't an easy way to backup your whole hard drive to be to use one of
    those flash drives that plug into any USB port? Just curious

    A flash drive that large would be pretty pricey.

    "RB" <rbig@bellsouth.nosopam.net> wrote in message
    > Wouldn't an easy way to backup your whole hard drive to be to use one of
    > those flash drives that plug into any USB port? Just curious

    One important question not answered was "how important to back up before
    installing SP2"
    The professional recommendation from Microsoft is ALWAYS back up before
    installing updates.

    Must admit that, for most (automatic) XP updates, I don't - BUT for SP2
    (it's MASSIVE, takes about 2 hours to install after download) I most
    certainly certainly did back up, to my D:/ which is hdd partition. (You
    didn't specify what your D:\ drive is - if partition of hdd, that's fine, if
    not, you've had replies from the experts.)

    REASON - I've never had problem with MS updates installing BUT with a 2 hour
    job, there's always the chance of a power failure in middle of intensive
    disk activity, which would almost inevitably cause a catastrophic crash.
    Better safe than sorry - I once had it happen during a defrag session in W98
    (similar intensive disk activity).

    Hope this helps Len.

    In news:O4tBoyS$EHA.1084@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    RB <rbig@bellsouth.nosopam.net> typed:

    > Wouldn't an easy way to backup your whole hard drive to be to
    > use one
    > of those flash drives that plug into any USB port? Just
    > curious

    You can back up lots of data that way, but not the whole hard
    drive. Even the biggest of these is much smaller than any hard
    drive made today.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > You can back up lots of data that way, but not the whole hard
    > drive. Even the biggest of these is much smaller than any hard
    > drive made today.

    But, for about $250, you can pick up a 100 GB shirt-pocket-sized Seagate
    portable hard drive that doesn't even require a separate power cable. It
    can draw power from the USB 2.0 cable. I use it to ghost my my entire
    drive and carry it offsite with me.

    - Walter

Microsoft Windows XP Product