is my old card compatible?

I'm using an nVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX 400. I want to buy a new monitor, a ViewSonic VX2025WM. It's a 20.1" widescreen, and it has a native resolution of 1680 x 1050.

Will this card work with this monitor? Currently, when I go to 'display properties', 'settings', the highest I can set the resolution is 1280 x 1024. Does that mean that this is the highest resolution this vid card can put out? Or does that have to do with my ancient monitor I'm using? How can I find out what the max resolution of my vid card is?

I'm planning to build a new pc soon, so if this card is not compatible, I want to replace is with something super cheap. If you have any advice or links where I can get more info, please post this. Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about card compatible
  1. It should work, it'll just look like shit. LCD's will scale lower resolutions to fit their native resolution, but it will be fuzzy and ugly. Good luck.

EDIT: I have a better idea, just wait to get the new monitor until you build your new computer.
  2. Try a newer driver. Also, I believe there's a way to add custom resolutions.

If you're not gaming, you should be OK.
  3. Quote:
    I'm using an nVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX 400. I want to buy a new monitor, a ViewSonic VX2025WM. It's a 20.1" widescreen, and it has a native resolution of 1680 x 1050.

Will this card work with this monitor? Currently, when I go to 'display properties', 'settings', the highest I can set the resolution is 1280 x 1024. Does that mean that this is the highest resolution this vid card can put out? Or does that have to do with my ancient monitor I'm using? How can I find out what the max resolution of my vid card is?

I'm planning to build a new pc soon, so if this card is not compatible, I want to replace is with something super cheap. If you have any advice or links where I can get more info, please post this. Thanks

The GeForce 2 should be able to support a resolution of 1680 x 1050, provided that you're using up-to-date drivers.

when the settings provide what resolutions are availible to you, it limits them based upon what the montior can do; presuming you have a standard-ish 17" monitor, you won't get any availible beyond 1280x1024.

The new monitor should work fine, provided that it either has a VGA input, or your video card has a DVI output.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Resolution Monitors Compatibility Graphics