Sign in with
Your question

is my old card compatible?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 17, 2006 5:06:26 AM

I'm using an nVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX 400. I want to buy a new monitor, a ViewSonic VX2025WM. It's a 20.1" widescreen, and it has a native resolution of 1680 x 1050.

Will this card work with this monitor? Currently, when I go to 'display properties', 'settings', the highest I can set the resolution is 1280 x 1024. Does that mean that this is the highest resolution this vid card can put out? Or does that have to do with my ancient monitor I'm using? How can I find out what the max resolution of my vid card is?

I'm planning to build a new pc soon, so if this card is not compatible, I want to replace is with something super cheap. If you have any advice or links where I can get more info, please post this. Thanks

More about : card compatible

July 17, 2006 5:37:18 AM

It should work, it'll just look like shit. LCD's will scale lower resolutions to fit their native resolution, but it will be fuzzy and ugly. Good luck.

EDIT: I have a better idea, just wait to get the new monitor until you build your new computer.
July 17, 2006 3:31:21 PM

Try a newer driver. Also, I believe there's a way to add custom resolutions.

If you're not gaming, you should be OK.
July 19, 2006 2:49:50 AM

Quote:
I'm using an nVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX 400. I want to buy a new monitor, a ViewSonic VX2025WM. It's a 20.1" widescreen, and it has a native resolution of 1680 x 1050.

Will this card work with this monitor? Currently, when I go to 'display properties', 'settings', the highest I can set the resolution is 1280 x 1024. Does that mean that this is the highest resolution this vid card can put out? Or does that have to do with my ancient monitor I'm using? How can I find out what the max resolution of my vid card is?

I'm planning to build a new pc soon, so if this card is not compatible, I want to replace is with something super cheap. If you have any advice or links where I can get more info, please post this. Thanks

The GeForce 2 should be able to support a resolution of 1680 x 1050, provided that you're using up-to-date drivers.

when the settings provide what resolutions are availible to you, it limits them based upon what the montior can do; presuming you have a standard-ish 17" monitor, you won't get any availible beyond 1280x1024.

The new monitor should work fine, provided that it either has a VGA input, or your video card has a DVI output.
!