Authoritative Restore vs non Authoritative Restore

Hello!!

I have been recently reading about restores, however I have hade some
questions when should I use
Authoritative Restore and a non Authoritative Restore

for the following senarios

If I have only one domain controller what is the difference beteween an
Authoritative Restore and a non Authoritative Restore the data of that
restore will be the newest

================

if I have a domain one.two.com

and then I loose domain controller one and restore authorittive will it
affect two.com ?? how??

==========

A system state will have everything I need?? imagine that I have a box
dedicated to domain controller only and then I have to format it, the
systemstate will do?

or a fullbackup is needed??

I apreciate your answers =)

thanks

> If I have only one domain controller what is the difference beteween an
> Authoritative Restore and a non Authoritative Restore the data of that
> restore will be the newest

In this case there is no difference as there are no replication partners.

> if I have a domain one.two.com and then I loose domain controller one and
> restore authorittive will it affect two.com ?? how??

Generally no. If there were changes to the configuration partition (or
application partitions) then these will overwrite the current data in
two.com.

Otherwise it will not affect it.

> A system state will have everything I need?? imagine that I have a box
> dedicated to domain controller only and then I have to format it, the
> systemstate will do? or a fullbackup is needed??

In this case yes, SystemState will suffice. However, you should generally
take a full backup as otherwise there'll be lots of errors as the registry
will be pointing to files that no longer exist.

Basically, authorative will overwrite the existing attributes of the other
DCs. Non-authorative will not, the DC will simply 'pull' from the other
DCs. You would only use authorative to get something back that has been
deleted, etc.

A ggod example would be you delete a group and need it again. You need to
mark that group as authorative after the restore otherwise the DC will
replicate the fact that the group has been deleted.

--
Paul Williams
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services