AD and GPO Software Installation

I have many software packages that I would like to install via GPO's. But
the question is can I save these Installation packages in the AD Policies
directory without causing problems with AD. Does anyone else do it like
that? Or what is the best solution?

James Robertson

It is NOT recommended that you put these in SYSVOL. You should place the
installation files on a file server and share the source folder. Excessive
files and replication over NtFrs is not recommended. Too much replication
will probably cause a NTFS USN Journal wrap which, although easy to fix,
will result in you not being able to replicate everything.

If you want to replicate these folders to multiple servers you can use NtFrs
but do it via a separate DFS root and not the SYSVOL replica. Otherwise
look at scripting robocopy or a third party app. The data is static, so
replicating it isn't an issue. It's the size and volume of data to
initially copy that is the problem.

--
Paul Williams
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

mack

The problem with storing the packages in the Sysvol\....\policies folder is
that this folder gets replicated to every DC in your domain. Some packages
may be quite large and if you have a WAN in you network this could be a
serious problem of eating up your bandwidth.

"James Robetson" wrote:

> I have many software packages that I would like to install via GPO's. But
> the question is can I save these Installation packages in the AD Policies
> directory without causing problems with AD. Does anyone else do it like
> that? Or what is the best solution?
>
> James Robertson

TRENDING THREADS