maxboost916

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
i dont know what to do

my computer wont boot past the windows screen..(where the bar goes across) it just keeps restarting over and over at the same part

Turbo_VE_Max

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
i dont know what to do

my computer wont boot past the windows screen..(where the bar goes across) it just keeps restarting over and over at the same part

NEED MORE INFO. Post your system specs and OS Version (98/XP/Linux)

However, assuming you have XP and a normal system setup then it sounds like you are getting past the bios. Good. Now if you are over clocked, go back to normal settings. Next try safe mode (tap away at F8 after the bios screen goes away) and see if that boots.

I would guess this is a windows install/hard drive issue just from working with computers for as long as i have.

maxboost916

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
ecs rc410L mobo

intel pentium d 805

ddr667 corsair 5400c4

ultra 500w

evga 7600gt

xp media center 2005

default settings loaded

anything else?

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
This would most likely be an overclocking issue, but I guess it isnt if you're running stock.

Make sure that your motherboard has got the correct memory speed/timings set up for you - if they are set too fast then this can and will cause the symptoms you're having (had it myself).

I'd suggest checking for heat/power issues and making sure everything is seated correctly; make sure that your heatsink/fan is seated correctly in particular.

Also, have you had this system overclocked? After all its the only real reason for buying a Pentium D 805. You may have caused damage to your CPU and/or other components.

Unfortunately though, if everything is configured correctly and you've tried reinstalling windows, then the only remaining possibility I can think of is faulty component(s).

Try just one RAM module (if you're using two) and see if removing one fixes it.

Other than that I'd suggest trying other components if you have them.

maxboost916

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
yes it has been. i tried switching out ram but that didnt work either. and if it is a power problem does that mean replacing the power suppply will help?

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Make sure that your motherboard has got the correct memory speed/timings set up for you - if they are set too fast then this can and will cause the symptoms you're having (had it myself).

agree. sounds like the system is crashing under stress to me. maybe V droop. run the system at stock and see if the problem goes away.

what speeds are you running things...?

here a few ideas off the cuff

what happens in safe mode (tap f8 during bootup)

if windows starts in safe mode then shut down system and then re-start in normal mode, problem might go away

if not I'd try running chkdisk on your boot drive, I've had this fix many such problems - this problem is often due to a corruption of hard drive data, among other possibilities of course

if all else fails, a re-install of windows may be needed but don't give up too easily

maxboost916

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
ok heres how it goes

in safe mode it shuts down before loading up windows (while still in dos )

in normal mode it reboots during the part where the bar goes across int eh windows screen

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
If you've tried reinstalling windows, then yes it could be a power issue - the startup phase is the most stressful on the system (except under heavy load) and dodgy PSU's can cause all kinds of strange problems - lockups, rebooting etc.

By all means try another PSU so at least you can rule it out.

Beyond this, your motherboard could have irreperable damage somewhere.

Turbo_VE_Max

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
If you've tried reinstalling windows, then yes it could be a power issue - the startup phase is the most stressful on the system (except under heavy load) and dodgy PSU's can cause all kinds of strange problems - lockups, rebooting etc.

By all means try another PSU so at least you can rule it out.

Beyond this, your motherboard could have irreparable damage somewhere.

+1 Agreed. Power supplies can and do go bad after excessive stress from everything from dust to overclocking. Startup is prolly when the system is drawing the most power when no power saving software based features are initialized yet. Please try a different PSU.

If that doesn’t help and safemode still fails then really you are left with a couple options. If you feel like you are good with recovery console then by all means use that and do a chkdsk (IIRC) or use other tools.
If not, then either repair windows or reformat and reinstall windows.
Also if you have a lot of stuff to recover just slave your drive with a friend and get that stuff saved to another HD or disk. Then format/repair

Turbo_VE_Max

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Just thinking aloud really. What's the chances of a virus? do you monitor it and update it reasonably often?

Chances are pretty high. Among other things like "cleaning out" the windows folder (NO JOKE, has been told to me before) maybe even a rootkit that went bad. It's hard to say. Let us know how it all goes. I like to know what eventually fixes the problem.