Sign in with
Your question

computer not booting

Last response: in Components
July 17, 2006 6:55:25 AM

i dont know what to do

my computer wont boot past the windows screen..(where the bar goes across) it just keeps restarting over and over at the same part

More about : computer booting

July 17, 2006 7:24:28 AM

repair or reinstall the operating system.
July 17, 2006 4:35:44 PM

Quote:

yeah i'd try that.

wait do u mean like Windows XP green bar thingy?
Related resources
July 17, 2006 9:36:14 PM

Press F8 at boot and (insert correct combination of menus here - just look around) set it so that it doesn't reboot at error. Then you should bluescreen before it restarts and it'll tell you what's wrong.
July 18, 2006 10:01:47 PM

how is the repair suppose to work?
July 18, 2006 10:09:16 PM

Quote:
how is the repair suppose to work?

put the windows disc in and go thru setup but it'll ask if u wanna repair the version of windows u have
July 18, 2006 10:35:43 PM

Quote:

yeah i'd try that.

wait do u mean like Windows XP green bar thingy?

yes the xp green bar thing .
July 18, 2006 10:36:16 PM

i end up in dos mode somehow. where it says type in exit if u want to quit. then it reboots
July 18, 2006 10:39:39 PM

Ya it does start up in DOS, this is because it doesn't demand anything from your windows installation which seems to be screwed up.

From there you can run chkdsk and some other things to see what's wrong.
July 18, 2006 10:43:06 PM

so would my best bet just be to reinstall windwos. and if i do. would i still be able to rechieve all my files >?
July 18, 2006 10:43:40 PM

so would my best bet just be to reinstall windwos. and if i do. would i still be able to rechieve all my files >?
July 18, 2006 10:50:03 PM

If you don't know dos and aren't familiar with the structure of windows then yes you might be better off with a clean install.

IF you re-install then you will lose all your data... it would be better to take that drive to a friends computer and grab as much as you can off of it. Then format and reinstall. (your other option is to buy a second hard drive and install windows on it then add your existing drive, move all the files you want to keep to the new drive then format the old one and keep it for a data drive.
July 18, 2006 10:56:27 PM

well ill loook around to see if its any hardware problems first. im thinking about finding a power supply to swap it to see if thats the problem .if all else fails then might just reinstall .
July 18, 2006 11:00:51 PM

Quote:
well ill loook around to see if its any hardware problems first. im thinking about finding a power supply to swap it to see if thats the problem .if all else fails then might just reinstall .

its not the PSU
July 18, 2006 11:27:26 PM

Quote:
IF you re-install then you will lose all your data...

That's only true if you opt to re-format the hard drive, which doesn't have to be done - you can just re-install the OS and leave the rest of the disk intact. I know it can leave Windows in a bit of a mess, but he could then hive his data off to DVD and then do a re-format.

But as others have said, try a repair first. It often doesn't work in my experience, but it can do no harm to try.
July 19, 2006 12:19:17 AM

Quote:
IF you re-install then you will lose all your data...

That's only true if you opt to re-format the hard drive, which doesn't have to be done - you can just re-install the OS and leave the rest of the disk intact. I know it can leave Windows in a bit of a mess, but he could then hive his data off to DVD and then do a re-format.

But as others have said, try a repair first. It often doesn't work in my experience, but it can do no harm to try.

yeh, windows repair is lame.
!