Policies and Scripts Folders do not get backed up

We have 2 Windows-2000 Active Directory Domain Controllers (with SP3) for our
Windows 2000-based Domain.

We do a NORMAL or Full-Backup for each of them by using the default/built-in
Windows Backup utility (located at Start-Programs-Accessories-System
Tools-Backup).
We do a NORMAL or Full-Backup by placing check-marks on each Volume/Drive
and System State options.

After the Normal backup is completed however, nothing under
\SYSVOL\sysvol\DomainName\ directory gets backed-up. In other words,
Policies and Scripts subdirectories do NOT get backed-up (even though the
Policies and Scripts subfolders had the check-marks when the backup was
setup). Hence, when we attempt to restore the Domain Controller, the Group
Policies and Domain Scripts are not available.

Also, the \SYSVOL\staging areas\DomainName directory does NOT get backed-up
either, and it had the check-mark when the backup was setup.

In the Backup Utility's Tools menu and "Exclude Files" tab, the only file
that is excluded from backup is \Pagefile.sys

Could someone please tell us:
(1) Why the Policies, Scripts and Staging Areas subfolders in Active
Directory Domain Controller are not backed-up by the built-in Windows Backup
Utility?

(2) how to backup Policies, Scripts and Staging Areas subfolders in Active
Directory Domain Controller using the built-in Windows Backup Utility?

Thank you,
IK

SysVol is backed up as part of the system state. There is a checkbox in
NTbackup for system state.

"ik" wrote:

> We have 2 Windows-2000 Active Directory Domain Controllers (with SP3) for our
> Windows 2000-based Domain.
>
> We do a NORMAL or Full-Backup for each of them by using the default/built-in
> Windows Backup utility (located at Start-Programs-Accessories-System
> Tools-Backup).
> We do a NORMAL or Full-Backup by placing check-marks on each Volume/Drive
> and System State options.
>
> After the Normal backup is completed however, nothing under
> \SYSVOL\sysvol\DomainName\ directory gets backed-up. In other words,
> Policies and Scripts subdirectories do NOT get backed-up (even though the
> Policies and Scripts subfolders had the check-marks when the backup was
> setup). Hence, when we attempt to restore the Domain Controller, the Group
> Policies and Domain Scripts are not available.
>
> Also, the \SYSVOL\staging areas\DomainName directory does NOT get backed-up
> either, and it had the check-mark when the backup was setup.
>
> In the Backup Utility's Tools menu and "Exclude Files" tab, the only file
> that is excluded from backup is \Pagefile.sys
>
> Could someone please tell us:
> (1) Why the Policies, Scripts and Staging Areas subfolders in Active
> Directory Domain Controller are not backed-up by the built-in Windows Backup
> Utility?
>
> (2) how to backup Policies, Scripts and Staging Areas subfolders in Active
> Directory Domain Controller using the built-in Windows Backup Utility?
>
> Thank you,
> IK

To be a little more specific, you have to restore the system state not the
specific sysvol folders.

"ik" wrote:

> We have 2 Windows-2000 Active Directory Domain Controllers (with SP3) for our
> Windows 2000-based Domain.
>
> We do a NORMAL or Full-Backup for each of them by using the default/built-in
> Windows Backup utility (located at Start-Programs-Accessories-System
> Tools-Backup).
> We do a NORMAL or Full-Backup by placing check-marks on each Volume/Drive
> and System State options.
>
> After the Normal backup is completed however, nothing under
> \SYSVOL\sysvol\DomainName\ directory gets backed-up. In other words,
> Policies and Scripts subdirectories do NOT get backed-up (even though the
> Policies and Scripts subfolders had the check-marks when the backup was
> setup). Hence, when we attempt to restore the Domain Controller, the Group
> Policies and Domain Scripts are not available.
>
> Also, the \SYSVOL\staging areas\DomainName directory does NOT get backed-up
> either, and it had the check-mark when the backup was setup.
>
> In the Backup Utility's Tools menu and "Exclude Files" tab, the only file
> that is excluded from backup is \Pagefile.sys
>
> Could someone please tell us:
> (1) Why the Policies, Scripts and Staging Areas subfolders in Active
> Directory Domain Controller are not backed-up by the built-in Windows Backup
> Utility?
>
> (2) how to backup Policies, Scripts and Staging Areas subfolders in Active
> Directory Domain Controller using the built-in Windows Backup Utility?
>
> Thank you,
> IK

Hi Ele7eN,

Does it mean that after I do a restore of our AD Domain Controller from the
Normal backup file (which included the System State backup), I need to
specifically do a System State Restore using the same .bkf file?

Thank you.