How long does it take for thermal paste to preform its best?

Omid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
I have just applied some new thermal paste. How long will it take before it runs at its best. Currently idling at 58 at stock hoping to get down to 54 in a few days will this happen?

BushLin

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'll not enter a debate as to thermal paste improving over time but I will say that no thermal compound makes 4 degrees difference unless it wasn't applied properly beforehand, not even arctic silver.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
For Artic Silver 5 as it's says in the website it usually takes around 2 weeks of 8 hour daily operation to make the thermal compound set and performs at best. What's happening is through heating up and cooling down with normal use, the molecules or mixtures settles and somewhat arrange itself thus enabling to transfer heat in it's optimum performance. So always replace thermal compounds every time you break the connection or removing the cpu, gpu , n/b coolers and etc.

Omid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
Sounds good. But i think i need to get some arctic silver. Shall i get a zalman 9500 too? Anyone managed to get one in a compaq presario case?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Careful buying after market cpu cooler for a stock computer like Dell, HP, Gateway, etc for the socket type maybe the same but the motherboard mount for the cpu cooler might be different. So make sure to check the mounting holes and bracket to see if it's compatible with the after market cooler.

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
I have just applied some new thermal paste. How long will it take before it runs at its best. Currently idling at 58 at stock hoping to get down to 54 in a few days will this happen?

Arctic Silver says 200 hrs for maximum effectiveness.

TRENDING THREADS