Sign in with
Your question

Will Apple be using Core2Duo. At What cost? And By When!!?!?

Last response: in CPUs

Will Apple be using Core2Duo Instead of Core Duo?

Total: 29 votes

• Definitely By September
  • 38 %
  • Not just yet
  • 21 %
  • Yep But its gonna cost
  • 28 %
  • Not This Year
  • 14 %
July 17, 2006 10:58:13 AM

What do you think guys? I want to order an imac but my senses are telling me to what for old Stevie

More about : apple core2duo cost

July 17, 2006 11:19:18 AM

well if you really need a mac then i guess you should wait a bit. BU then again i wonder why you dont build a pc yourself with a core2dou
July 17, 2006 11:20:50 AM

Because i want a 20 inch white box sitting on my desk with a big apple and a door bell noise when i turn it on. And windows is really starting to get on my tits!!

Lol :D 
Related resources
July 17, 2006 11:49:30 AM

I don't think Apple will for a while yet. I heard a rumor (vague rumor) that apple was going to continue with yonah for iMac/Mini/MacBook lines, and use conroe for their workstation cpu. I've been an apple user all my life, but if they do that they loose a lot of points in my book. Apple hardware in my opinion is crap. They solder RAM, CPUs etc to their mobos. I prefer flexibility and expandability.
July 17, 2006 11:52:53 AM

From a mac rumors site

"The Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme could make their Mac debut in Apple's PowerMac computers which are rumored to be released on August 7th 2006 at the World Wide Developers Conference, however, recent rumors expect Apple to use "Woodcrest" for the new pro Macs."

Mac's got the core duo pretty early, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them get Core 2 soon.
July 17, 2006 12:07:55 PM

Sure they will. Core was the reason they switched to Intel. The iMac will use it, but it is unknown which version, Merom or Conroe. Conroe is cheaper but requires better cooling and a new motherboard. Merom is drop-in compatible with the current motherboard used on the Yonah iMac. Mac Pro will use Woodcrest (according to AppleInsider). MacBook Pro will use Merom. Many Mac enthusiasts are demanding a cheaper, upgradeable, mini-tower (or cube?) type Conroe Mac but nobody really knows if Apple will offer such a beast. The regular MacBook might use Merom, but they might stick to Yonah to set it apart from the MacBook Pro. The Mac mini will probably stick to Yonah as well.

I have been seriously considering switching to Mac but I won't spend $1800 for a 2 GHz Woodcrest MacPro. I could build a Core 2 Xtreme system for that much. If a cheaper Conroe based Mac is not offered, I'll stick with Windows for the desktop but still consider a MacBook laptop in the future.
July 17, 2006 12:17:25 PM

Quote:
I've been an apple user all my life, but if they do that they loose a lot of points in my book. Apple hardware in my opinion is crap. They solder RAM, CPUs etc to their mobos. I prefer flexibility and expandability.

The only soldered CPUs they use now are for the laptops. The iMac and Mac mini use socketed CPUs and are user upgradeable, although cracking open the case on either of these machines is no small task. And Macs can't be easily overclocked. I too prefer flexibility and expandability and until Apple offers that I won't switch.
July 17, 2006 1:00:18 PM

Of course Apple are going to get Core 2. The relationship they have with Intel is new and they'll be wanting to keep each other sweet.
July 17, 2006 5:42:58 PM

I agree but they have to keep us sweet too!! lol
July 17, 2006 6:59:16 PM

It might be a close call, but definitely we shall see something coming along some time this fall. Knowing Apple for their pursuit of a better computer experience for the end-user, I BELIEVE -expeculation- that it might be as soon as this August as someone already stated (with a link) on this thread. :p 
July 17, 2006 9:43:39 PM

Quote:
I've been an apple user all my life, but if they do that they loose a lot of points in my book. Apple hardware in my opinion is crap. They solder RAM, CPUs etc to their mobos. I prefer flexibility and expandability.

The only soldered CPUs they use now are for the laptops. The iMac and Mac mini use socketed CPUs and are user upgradeable, although cracking open the case on either of these machines is no small task. And Macs can't be easily overclocked. I too prefer flexibility and expandability and until Apple offers that I won't switch.

Oh, I read in an article that they were soddering the RAM and CPU's into the iMacs. (Just the factory slot in the iMac is what the article said) But yeah I know exactly what you mean when you say they can't be overclocked easy and the expandibility.
July 17, 2006 9:48:06 PM

Quote:
Oh, I read in an article that they were soddering the RAM and CPU's into the iMacs. (Just the factory slot in the iMac is what the article said) But yeah I know exactly what you mean when you say they can't be overclocked easy and the expandibility.

1) An Apple computer is not about overclocking

2) If you want to expand your computer withe extra/better cards, then you are either an enthusiast or a professional, in which case you buy a PowerMac rather than an iMac.

3) You can upgrade the memory of an iMac, same as you can a laptop. Which the new iMac practically is.
July 17, 2006 10:53:34 PM

Actually the powermac isn't as expandable as one might think. It is practically impossible to replace the graphics card in them from the factory. And while you can upgrade the RAM in iMac, which I didn't deny, you can only do it form the second slot.
July 18, 2006 8:17:20 AM

MESA is right Apples arent about overclocking. People they are flooring every PC on the Earth! Wait till Conro gets loose in those beasts!!

Do you think its worth waiting till August then??

You never know i might get a PowerMac but dont like the idea of two towers under my desk. Already got 3 printers!! lol
July 18, 2006 9:23:32 AM

Quote:
MESA is right Apples arent about overclocking. People they are flooring every PC on the Earth! Wait till Conro gets loose in those beasts!!

That's not true at all, and a really ignorant thing to say. You can't say that Macs are 'flooring every PC on the earth' when there are very few areas where that actually overlap technologically (Photoshop etc..., and there are more thanks to BootCamp) so you can't compare them with the usual linearity of 3Dmark et al.

I use Macs because of the software, and the stability, but let me point out to you that when I bought this Macintosh for over £1000 I could have bought myself a much higher specified PC.

Macs are moving more into PC territory, and are now 'more about the hardware' than ever. When we see a direct comparison between two desktop chips (Core 2) in a Macintosh and a PC, then we'll start talking properly.

@ Dan1317, the graphics card would probably be the last thing to be replaced by a Mac user. A G5 can take up to 16gb DDR2 RAM and 4 graphics cards, and there are literally hundreds of pro soundcards and interfaces for Macintosh. They are upgradeable!
July 18, 2006 9:52:45 AM

Well every review ive read has seen XP running at its fastest in boot camp.
July 18, 2006 6:36:14 PM

Quote:
I have been seriously considering switching to Mac but I won't spend $1800 for a 2 GHz Woodcrest MacPro. I could build a Core 2 Xtreme system for that much.

Neither would I - but my fellow 3D animators/artists/TDs are flush with cash and little sense except "ooooh Apple" and are wiling to shell out $4K on whatever Apple comes out with. Granted, I owned a pricey dual dual-core Opteron once - but my senses have returned.
July 18, 2006 8:37:05 PM

well what do you expect from the IMAC. from the wway it looks and how proable it is you should know it isn't that flexable when it comes to upgrading.
July 18, 2006 8:41:56 PM

Quote:
well what do you expect from the IMAC. from the wway it looks and how proable it is you should know it isn't that flexable when it comes to upgrading.

Like I said - it's a laptop in a desktop format.
!