User names blank after upgrade

I just upgraded an NT 4 server (sp6) to W2K3 Standard and installed AD.
The NT4 server was the PDC of an NT network, so the upgraded server
because the first domain of a child domain. Everything went fine (except
XP clients started randomly falling off the network), but the wierdest
part is the loss of user names.

The user accounts all moved over without a hitch, and users can log in.
However, if you look at their properties in the AD Users and Computers
snap-in, there is no information in their First Name and Last Name text
boxes.

Is this normal? Did I miss something in the upgrade process? Does anyone
have any suggestions about how to fix this (besides just typing the
names in for all 600 users)?

TIA,
hbchrist
1 answer Last reply
More about user names blank upgrade

    hbchrist wrote:

    > I just upgraded an NT 4 server (sp6) to W2K3 Standard and installed AD.
    > The NT4 server was the PDC of an NT network, so the upgraded server
    > because the first domain of a child domain. Everything went fine (except
    > XP clients started randomly falling off the network), but the wierdest
    > part is the loss of user names.
    >
    > The user accounts all moved over without a hitch, and users can log in.
    > However, if you look at their properties in the AD Users and Computers
    > snap-in, there is no information in their First Name and Last Name text
    > boxes.
    >
    > Is this normal? Did I miss something in the upgrade process? Does anyone
    > have any suggestions about how to fix this (besides just typing the
    > names in for all 600 users)?

    Hi,

    I don't remember NT having properties for user first and last name. The NT
    attribute "FullName" corresponds to the LDAP attribute "displayName". If
    your first and last names are in the "displayName" attribute, you may need
    to write a script to parse this for first and last names, then populate the
    "sn" and "givenName" attributes in AD. The code to parse would depend on how
    the names are constructed, as there are many possibilities.

    Best would be to export all user names to a text file. You would export
    distinguishedName (to identify each user, so you can bind to the user
    object) and displayName. I think you can do this with dsquery, or it can be
    done with a VBScript program. Then import into a spreadsheet where you can
    use formulas to construct first and last names for each user from the
    displayName. Then export to a text file and either write a script to update
    sn and givenName for all users from the text file, or use a command line
    utility like dsmod.

    --
    Richard
    Microsoft MVP Scripting and ADSI