End of line for 939?

RichPLS

Champion
Along with cancelling all 2x1MB AMD chips... is AMD also closing out the entire 939 line? How long will AMD support this line in the market, since it was only a year ago they were indicating to choose socket 939 for a better upgrade path... but how if there are no chips? :(

RichPLS

Champion
Is this the kind of support they refer to by now claiming a better upgrade path with AM2, so next year users are sitting comfy and AMD will announce next platform, and discontinue all AM2 chips!!!
Is it just me, or does it seem rather short to cut off supplies of top end CPU's for their recently best performance desktop platform?
Seems they could at least continue releasing a few high end Cpus for 939 to show good faith efforts that they mean what they say.

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
A buddy of mine picked a 3800+ x2 in the last 4 months...and didn't know there was an am2 socket coming out. He was pissed heh.

Anyway, yea, alot of people have been wondering the same thing, you aren't alone in wondering about that. I imagine it'll be like all previous sockets...Dodo. =/

I don't think the am2 will last all that long either. (having not looked at the amd roadmap in a while...). You can probably bet that it'll outlast intel's socket though. ;)

RichPLS

Champion
Most AMD users do not care much about Intel, except to point out weaknesses and illustrate how better AMD does... but they are making it hard for AMD fans to root for them by doing crap like this...

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
I haven't seen too many amd fans that dislike the new intel stuff coming out.

I have half a mind to pick one up myself (intel machine). Not sure which one yet...and since i currently have 3 939s, i prob shouldn't until i sell a couple heh.

edit:
I haven't seen too many amd fans that dislike the new intel stuff coming out.
don't get me wrong, there have been tons of debate on whether or not the numbers we've seen so far are legit. But the most recent reviews have been pretty awe inspiring. =)

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Along with cancelling all 2x1MB AMD chips... is AMD also closing out the entire 939 line? How long will AMD support this line in the market, since it was only a year ago they were indicating to choose socket 939 for a better upgrade path... but how if there are no chips? :(

It's dead as of a few weeks ago. I believe the last ones will be made in Q4 or Q107. I don't remember tham saying that. They knew DDR2 was coming. 754 wil last longer because of low price high volume.

Anand recently did a story on this. 95 total chips have been cancelled.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Most AMD users do not care much about Intel, except to point out weaknesses and illustrate how better AMD does... but they are making it hard for AMD fans to root for them by doing crap like this...

I think your exaggerating. I don't think Intel is weak or anything. They have kicked lots of dirt on AMD but I will lead anyone to Intel that wants an Intel box. I try to give the pros and cons of both companies and let people decide for themslves.

Intel has removed all but one PATA from P965, which will screw users who have 3 DVD drives or older PATA drives as backups.

Change in this industry is common. Everyone knows that thinsg change very quickly. Most people with 939 won't have to upgrade for awhile. My next one should be around the itme both companies release Quad.

RichPLS

Champion
Unless Quad is very cheap, it seems very stupid for a gamer/home user to care about, whether Intel or AMD.
Dual core should have desktops covered imo for years to come, and be ideal for Vista, we just need DX10 video cards... but this is not the point of this thread.
We should still be remembered as loyal customers and imo a little more effort should go into supporting your recent product lines, especially considering the manufacturers 3 year warranties...
What kind of reserves do they have stored for replacements under warranty, should a significant number need to be replaced? Do they start a limited production run? It would be nice if they did this, and even under this limited run for sale, they could limit warranties to 90 days and even charge a premuim, existing 939 hardware fans would actually buy a 65nm X2-5200 under those terms... :wink: one can dream! 8)

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Intel has removed all but one PATA from P965, which will screw users who have 3 DVD drives or older PATA drives as backups.

Not so! Sure they removed it from the chipset, but mainboard manufacturers can incorporate a separate controller on board for additional slots in much the same way that many manufactures put a 3rd party raid controller (i.e. Promise) on their boards. Or if not, just buy one of these.

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
So for a premium, we can get something that should come with the board? Eh...

There are two sata cd/dvd players in production right now and they ARE running a serious premium. They should have kept it in the chipset for this revision. They're tryign to force the industries hand...and in this case its screwing us for now.

It comes down to, I shouldn't have to buy a $20-100 part that should have been included. It was a bad design move. Not everybody wants to go out and pick up a usb/firewire cd/dvd device, or add a pci/pci-e ide card, or pay the extra to get a premium board with extra features.

Is this the kind of support they refer to by now claiming a better upgrade path with AM2, so next year users are sitting comfy and AMD will announce next platform, and discontinue all AM2 chips!!!
Is it just me, or does it seem rather short to cut off supplies of top end CPU's for their recently best performance desktop platform?
Seems they could at least continue releasing a few high end Cpus for 939 to show good faith efforts that they mean what they say.

All production of the S939 Athlon 64 will stop at the end of this year with the exception of the X2 4800+. It's been sometime since I did any further research, but the X2 4800+ should remain in production until at least mid 2007 and no later than the end of 2008.

AMD planned this from the beginning because they need to kill of S939, otherwise it could cannibalize their AM2 sales. There is no significant performance difference between the two socket of the same CPU model. But AMD needs to ensure that socket AM2 will "infiltrate" into thier customer base so that when K8L comes out it will be an easier upgrade path. If the average DIY'er has a motherboard that is compatible with AMD's next CPU, then they will be more than likely to stick with AMD to keep costs down, rather than switch to Intel.

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I know this is sort of off topic but if someone kows this I sure wold like a confirmation or rejection of this news I got on the new vsta seeing how it is comming out soon and someone mentiond it.

I saw something (not sure where) that said Microsoft is going to push this Trusted Company thing hard. and with vista no hardware that is not in this "tursted company" list will work on a vista pc. Also if you try to download or use any file that microsoft doesnt like, the pc will refuse to run it or accept it.

It sounds like some bs to me but then again it is microsoft. and if by some chance this is true no way in hell am I gonna get vista, dx10 or not.

RichPLS

Champion
That sounds like security, and as such you should be able to disable that setting so that it either runs it (it might crash tho) or prompts you if you want to run it...

kcpackrat

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
I'm a newbie to all this, and am in the process of researching to build a system that will last 2-3 times as long as you gamers seem to plan for, my first build. This thread is the first indication I've come across that AMD plans to discontinue 939 platforms. I am aware that with the Intel release that they are expected to sharply drop prices soon, and I hope to take advantage of that, buying as powerful a 64-939 cpu as I can afford after the drop. (I plan to "pull the trigger" on buying my components in August.)
Any reason I shouldn't go with what I'm planning below?
Let me be clear: I AM NOT A GAMER. The only graphics I intend to do is in the area of video capture and tranferring my mountain of VHS tapes to a shoebox of DVDs. My goal is to build a machine that will stay viable for several years. (My current machine is a 450Mhz Compac Presario with a 12Gb 'Bigfoot' with 256Mb of ram and a Promise card that enabled me to add a 160 Gb HDD a year ago or so. Whatever else you might say about it, the 'Bigfoot' has never failed, but it was a refurbished machine when I bought it 7 years ago...time to enter the new millenium..)
My current plans are for this:
A8N32-SLI Deluxe Mobo,
3700+ San Diego core at a minimum, up to whatever the windfall allows in x2,
Probably 2 Gb of dual channel Ram, and probably Corsair,
Antec 550 modular psu and probably a matching Antec case,
Whatever HDD $50-60 will get me for a C: drive, and then something in the range of a 250 Gb SATA for storage to start.
DVD burners, etc....whatever...I consider them consumables.
I haven't even decided on what to use for a graphics card, but don't intend to double the cost of my system with it.
I'd appreciate any help/advice, and feel free to direct me to another thread if this is the wrong place to be. I'd even be glad to get info at my kcpackrat@hotmail.com email address.
While I'm at it, I want to mention that while I'm not a gamer, I think that those of you who are do a tremendous service to those of us happy to "ride the bow-wave" of technology rather than being on the "bleeding edge" of it (if you don't mind my mixed metaphor.)

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Were did you read this?
People are still buying Socket "A" cpus aswell as older P4's so the thought of <never> making any more 939's sounds crazy.

Both main companys (Intel and AMD) have slowed or even halted production lately due to a overall drop in demand....people waiting for new products and the riseing engery costs effecting both production and consumer buying habits.
At the same time both companys are building better more cost effecent factorys.

What about no more 1 MB L2?
AMD will be useing a new type of cpu cashe ram called ZRAM that is many times smaller (to build),faster,less power hungry and runs alot cooler.
This can aid to adding more cashe to all the L's (1,2,3 ect) on the same die or make more room for extra cores,so owning the rights to this patent gives alot of flexability.

This new cashe ram will probibly be first seen in the new AMD quad-core cpus that are due for market in early 2007.It will use the same power consuption as X2's do today. Thats a 50% power saveings.

Wish I owned that patent.....and the zipper,screw on bottle caps and safety matchs.

Some KFC/PizzaHut stock is nice also.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002

There are two sata cd/dvd players in production right now and they ARE running a serious premium. They should have kept it in the chipset for this revision. They're tryign to force the industries hand...and in this case its screwing us for now.

It comes down to, I shouldn't have to buy a $20-100 part that should have been included. It was a bad design move. Not everybody wants to go out and pick up a usb/firewire cd/dvd device, or add a pci/pci-e ide card, or pay the extra to get a premium board with extra features.

Yeah, talk about a major premium, top of the line 975 mobos sold in local brick&mortar stores run close to 350 loonies (about $310 USD) including the Provincial and Federal taxes.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Intel and AMD really have done a role reversal. Intel always seemed to change platforms compared to AMD(last 5 years) but now AMD is doing this. AMD is grasping for more MHz, like Intel did with Netburst. AMD will be using more power, and have less computing power(as Intel did with Prescott). It's amusing actually, that all the things AMD fans knocked Intel for are being done by AMD now. Who's having the last laugh now? :wink:

npilier

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I know this is sort of off topic but if someone kows this I sure wold like a confirmation or rejection of this news I got on the new vsta seeing how it is comming out soon and someone mentiond it.

I saw something (not sure where) that said Microsoft is going to push this Trusted Company thing hard. and with vista no hardware that is not in this "tursted company" list will work on a vista pc. Also if you try to download or use any file that microsoft doesnt like, the pc will refuse to run it or accept it.

It sounds like some bs to me but then again it is microsoft. and if by some chance this is true no way in hell am I gonna get vista, dx10 or not.

Ummm...this is really interesting. I will google it, but I most definitely it is pure speculation and a rumor but as you pointed out, it is Micro$oft.

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002

You are talking like they removed it completely! They left support for 1 channel which will run 2 ide devices. This should be enough for most folks. Especially those on a budget anyway.

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
Good call...I was talking as if we weren't getting any at all. I didn't think there was any integrated in to the chipset (edit: but what i said above was 'board; my apologies). The only thing i could find on it was the little article on anandtech's page, and the abit board. It has a single ide on it, but it's not built in, it's an add-on(JMicron) by the manufacturer.

But i honestly don't remember why i was thinking there weren't any. After looking at the spec plan on the previous page of the one i linked, i dont' see any built-in ide controller for the chipset however. There looks to be an optional controller that you can turn on/purchase on the chipset, but it is probably a sata raid controller.