Upgrading to Conroe...

Crater24

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Seeing as its been all of half a year since I built my system, and some of the parts weren't really current back then, I figure its time for an upgrade...

CPU - Intel P4 640 Prescott OC'd @ 3.6GHz CPU Specs
Mobo - Soltek 915P LGA775 (POS board and I know it)
RAM - Corsair XMS 2GB (2x1GB) DDR400 RAM Specs
GPU - eVGA N517 GeForce 7800GT

The HDD, etc. are not going to be upgraded as they have worked fine as is. Also, the spec sheets on the Mobo and GPU are not available, due to product discontinuation.

Now, this is something like what I was thinking of going to by summer's end...

CPU - Core 2 Duo E6700 - ~$550 USD
Mobo - ASUS P5WD2-E 975X - $230 USD Mobo Specs
RAM - G. SKILL 2GB(2x1GB) DDR2-800 - $190 USD New RAM Specs

The GPU would follow after, in winter, most likely a Quad-SLI build based on the 7950GX2's, once nVidia releases those drivers.

All of the parts that I take out of the machine will be used in an older machine, so that one will be updated too.

Would this be a good build, or am I missing some key point (lack of compatibility, better parts for less $, etc.)?

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
The GPU would follow after, in winter, most likely a Quad-SLI build based on the 7950GX2's, once nVidia releases those drivers.

All of the parts that I take out of the machine will be used in an older machine, so that one will be updated too.

Would this be a good build, or am I missing some key point (lack of compatibility, better parts for less $, etc.)?

ok well your CPU and MOBO look good but i can't exactly recommend that G.Skill,, i personally would go with Corsiar XMS, after looking at the specs they could be fine...now to the big uh oh

even though the 7950GX2's were recently released it would be senseless to buy them come winter time for two reasons
1) they cost so much they offer the least performance per price of any 2 cards,
2) DX 10 cards should be coming out around that time, and the DX 10 cards should basically dominate all other DX 9 cards including the 7950GX2, these are the nvidia G80 Chip and the ATi R600 chip,

so the solution to this is either get a 7900GT or ATi X1800XT, which would provide the best bang for your buck(and a good performer too) until DX10 cards come out, i would recommend to not get a DX 10 card when there first out as games wont even have DX 10 right away,

you could also get a X1900XT which are going for around $320 bucks which is an absolute steal, would be an awesome card to hold you off, but if your going to buy a DX 10 card within 6 or so months then just think of the money your wasting

i see no reason to buy the 7950GX2s as they have had bad drivers issues and not all games are utilizing both gpus which results in performnace of just about a 7900GT or worse, also with dx 10 on the horizon these would be a big waste of money when soemthing cheaper and better comes out...so just get a 7900GT or X1800XT or X1900XT (depending on how much you want to spend) then that should hold you till DX 10 comes out

npilier

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I agree with IcY18's advise, though, I would add to that -if you can & want, since you don't want to upgrade the HDDs- to get at least a Raptor HDD as your primary OS HDD. Just my 2 cents; enjoy your upgrade endeavor.

dx10 cards will also cost 700 dollars to 1000 bucks... plus its new tech so it'll have some bugs to work out for a good 6 months.

have fun spending 700 bucks on a dx10 card and find out all the issues it'll have.

ok well your CPU and MOBO look good but i can't exactly recommend that G.Skill,, i personally would go with Corsiar XMS, after looking at the specs they could be fine...now to the big uh oh

even though the 7950GX2's were recently released it would be senseless to buy them come winter time for two reasons
2) DX 10 cards should be coming out around that time, and the DX 10 cards should basically dominate all other DX 9 cards including the 7950GX2, these are the nvidia G80 Chip and the ATi R600 chip,

so the solution to this is either get a 7900GT or ATi X1800XT, which would provide the best bang for your buck(and a good performer too) until DX10 cards come out, i would recommend to not get a DX 10 card when there first out as games wont even have DX 10 right away,

you could also get a X1900XT which are going for around $320 bucks which is an absolute steal, would be an awesome card to hold you off, but if your going to buy a DX 10 card within 6 or so months then just think of the money your wasting

i see no reason to buy the 7950GX2s as they have had bad drivers issues and not all games are utilizing both gpus which results in performnace of just about a 7900GT or worse, also with dx 10 on the horizon these would be a big waste of money when soemthing cheaper and better comes out...so just get a 7900GT or X1800XT or X1900XT (depending on how much you want to spend) then that should hold you till DX 10 comes out

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
dx10 cards will also cost 700 dollars to 1000 bucks... plus its new tech so it'll have some bugs to work out for a good 6 months.

have fun spending 700 bucks on a dx10 card and find out all the issues it'll have.

Wow, i have no clue what your talking about, but no graphics cards are going to cost that much, only the ultra high end will even approach the 700 dollar mark, yes it will be new tech, and the only bugs it will have will be delt with drivers which i'm sure will be worked out, i also said to wait and not get a DX10 card right when they came out, you must be smoking something cause gfx cards will not be 700, that would put off every customer...especially when you can get a good 7900GT or X1800XT for 250 right now...thats the biggest bs i've heard...