Recreating server with same Server Name and Domain Name

I have to rebuild a Windows 2k server from scratch because my client did not
perform any backups. Anyway my concern is the AD. If I recreate the server
with the same name and the same domain name will the workstations be able to
login with the same user profiles?

Or will new user profiles be created once they rejoin the domain? (which is
what I what to avoid).

bernardl wrote:
> I have to rebuild a Windows 2k server from scratch because my client did not
> perform any backups. Anyway my concern is the AD. If I recreate the server
> with the same name and the same domain name will the workstations be able to
> login with the same user profiles?
>
> Or will new user profiles be created once they rejoin the domain? (which is
> what I what to avoid).

Even though the new domain may be named the same as the old one the
workstations will not be able to join this domain. You would have to
join them to a workgroup and then rejoin them to the new domain. netdom
can be used to automate this if you have a large number of machines to
do it on.
As for users, you will have similar problems as the old accounts will no
longer be valid. This means new accounts and therefore new profiles.