VGA vs DVI explantion, AMD 64X2 price drop?

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Would someone please explain to me the difference between VGA and DVI and what I should know or be concerned about as far as these 2 standards?

I've just bought 2 AGM Neovo 19" wide screen monitors (and I may buy a 3rd ) that I will use for stock and financial trading with either a PNY Quadro NVS 285 or NVS 440 PCIE X16. I think they are WXGA what ever that means.

This is all mostly 2D charting stuff and I'm not a gamer.

I was just about to buy an AMD 64X2-3800 for a ASUS A8N5X mobo. Should I wait? How much do you think the price drop will be and how long before it's implemented and filters down to newegg?

Will the Intel Conroe CPU's be real expensive for a long time?

Thanks for you time and knowledge.

cleeve

Illustrious
VGA is high quality analog and DVI is digital. For 99% of people DVI or VGA won't make a difference, it doesn't really matter especially for financial trading. I guess if you'rte going to choose between the two I'd go DVI, in theory it'l be a mite clearer.

I'd wait for Conroe, the cheapest is the E6300 and it should be about the same price as the 3800+, but it's a better performer and overclocks to awesome effect. Check out xbitlabs.com, they did a good review of a 6300 recently.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Yeah, agree with Cleeve. Only major difference between the two is that you can tweak the monitor settings a lot more in VGA than you can with DVI. Price drops will make the $300 X2 3800+ more into $150 X2 3800+.

~Ibrahim~

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Thanks. How long before the price drop reaches newegg do you think.

"My name causes national security alerts. What does yours do? "

Makes my ex wives and girlfriends barf and run away.

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
When I switched from VGA to DVI on my LCD monitor, I noticed a substantial increase in image quality. Everything got a lot sharper and more clear and the color reproduction was better.

If you bought 19in widescreens, they're 1440x900. That's what WXGA means. No idea on the AMD price drop, I'm waiting for it myself. Intels will probably be decently expensive for the next month or so, its going to take a while to get all the early adopters orders filled and start filling the market out.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Thanks. How long before the price drop reaches newegg do you think.

"My name causes national security alerts. What does yours do? "

Makes my ex wives and girlfriends barf and run away.

Well, they will come around July 23rd or so, as that is the release of Core 2 Duo...That is a little less than a week.

lol, interesting effect.

~Ibrahim~

RichPLS

Champion
The Conroe E6300 is being sold now as pre-order, yet some have been shipping early... and pricing has been around $200, but even at that price it will still outperform the X2-3800 and compete with a X2-4800

good_man

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
What about the X2 4600+ ?!! :?:

How much do you think it going cost after the price drop :roll:

I want to get one instead of my 3700+ :)

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
It will be priced low, lower than it's Core 2 Duo counter part. So, if you have a 939-build, this is a great time to upgrade CPU's as there will be big price cuts on all X2's and the FX Dual-Cores.

If you are getting a new system, Core is for you. Just grab a 6300 and OC as far as it allows. It has amazing OC'ing potential, expect 3GHz+ with a great air cooler, 3.5+ with water. These are ball-park numbers, but all the Core chips have amazing OC'ing potential.

~Ibrahim~

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
As others have noted, DVI (Digital Visual Interface) is primarily designed as a digital interface. However, there are multiple types of DVI interfaces, including an analog DVI connector standard (I know, it doesn't make much sense). Here are the main types of connectors:

DVI-D Digital only connector; 24 pins [modified D style];
DVI-A Analog only; [modified D style], I don't think this was part of the initial standard but was a later hybrid for a specific application.
DVI-I Digital and Analog [RGB]; 29 pins [modified D style]
DFP Digital Flat Panel, Digital only connector.

Most of the DVI graphics cards sold in the PC market will have the 29 pin DVI-I connector enabling the use of VGA (with an adapter plug) and DVI monitors. For the best visual performance you should mate a DVI card with a DVI monitor.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
What's up with those newer GPU's having Dual-Link DVI or whatever? It lets you use higher resolutions, but is that a different amount of pins?

~Ibrahim~

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
What's up with those newer GPU's having Dual-Link DVI or whatever? It lets you use higher resolutions, but is that a different amount of pins?

~Ibrahim~

Yes.

Although both are considered DVI-I, the Dual-link is 29 pins and IIRC, Single-link is 22 pins