Water Cooling

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I plan on building a new rig when Conroe comes out. I also paln to have it water cooled. This will be my first ever Water Colling project. Ive seen the premade packs on Newegg and alot of the reviews say they are poor quality and to just buy the parts(alot about dangerden). Well my question is this, what do I need exactly? I have about $150 to spend for this particualr setup. Can any1 please put a list of components together for me to look at that will support conroe? It would be much appreciated

All im looking to cool is the CPU and maybe if i have enuff the GPU. Is there anything else that SHOULD be in the loop as well?

RichPLS

Champion
For exellent cooling and quality, the BigWater 745 can not be beat for pricing... $145 US currency

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Liquid/DIY/cl-w0076/cl-w0076.asp

Review...

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/cooling/Tt_Bigwater_745/index.html

The BigWater 745, has a dual 120mm radiator and a single 120mm radiator. Also the locking fittings make leaks less likely...

1002.jpg

1003.jpg

1004.jpg

1006.jpg

1007.jpg

1008.jpg

1009.jpg

1011.jpg

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I read the Newegg reviews on that unit and a couple made mention of the tank cracking on a few, but overall the reviews were ok. Will this thing work on the new conroes?

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Is there a problem with the coolant? I read you have to replace it after a couple weeks due to it becoming conductive?

RichPLS

Champion
I heard with early coolant they had a batch that was recalled or something... but I have been using the BigWater SE and 745 for about 2 years now, and coolant seems fine to me...
Whether or not it looses non-conductivety status or not, (all coolant does I believe if contacts with soft metals like copper) but it does not leak so in my case does not matter! :lol: :lol:

Here is my PC...

img0820lx9.jpg

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
i agree, ive got one and i love it.

except mine is the BIg Water SE (just a single rad).

instead of conroe capable what your looking for is the 775 or socket T which the thermal take system has, so yes it will work with "conroe".

ive had mione for about 4 months, hasnt leaked a single drop, no probs with the install (although the booklet is miniscule), and the coolant that comes with it is pretty good.

if your going to cool the cpu and gpu, prob wanna add the North Bridge in (intel systems) other than that your good to go.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
If you only have $150 to spend then the Big Water 745 is probably the best for you. Most DYI will cost at least $200.

There are only two things I don't like about it (not big issues really)

1. Tubing size is 3/8" instead of 1/2", not a big deal but there it is.

2. Pump is 400L/min, the DD D5 is 1200L/min which will push more fluid especially if you add a gpu block and possibly a chipset, ram, hdd... etc.

RichPLS

Champion
Both points are valid and noted... but regardless of either fact, the most important fact is performance, and it performs as a top class water cooling system, so the tubing and pump must be about right...

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Both points are valid and noted... but regardless of either fact, the most important fact is performance, and it performs as a top class water cooling system, so the tubing and pump must be about right...

I'm not saying it doesn't perform well but I think it is a little limited in it's ability to expand. If you ever want to upgrade to including other water cooled components I have serious doubts as to how it would perform. On the other hand if you only plan on cpu and one gpu without changing the rad's then it's fine.

We all build computers, some like more customation than others, I wanted particular parts and DYI so that's the way I went. Both work.

TRENDING THREADS