repair question

I have used hammers to repair armor.
I have used tongs to repair armor.
Does having both in my inventory help my success rate?
Can I use them both at the same time? (as logic would dictate considering
the tongs are to hold the piece while the hammer bangs it back into shape)

It is not very clear in the manual or online.

I've seen alchemy equipment work together (all for images appear when you
choose one) but not the repair stuff.

Any thoughts?

"Andrew E. Wiggin" <noone@home.com> wrote:

>I have used hammers to repair armor.
>I have used tongs to repair armor.
>Does having both in my inventory help my success rate?
>Can I use them both at the same time? (as logic would dictate considering
>the tongs are to hold the piece while the hammer bangs it back into shape)

Nope on both.

But just like with lockpicks and potion making, there are better tools.

Repair Prongs - 0.5
Apprentice's Armorer's Hammer - 0.8
Journeyman's Armorer's Hammer - 1.0
Master's Armorer's Hammer - 1.30
GrandMaster's Armorer's Hammer - 1.70
Sirollus Saccus's (Secret Master)Hammer - 2.0

":phant" <phant@usagi.comix> wrote in message
> "Andrew E. Wiggin" <noone@home.com> wrote:
>
> >I have used hammers to repair armor.
> >I have used tongs to repair armor.
> >Does having both in my inventory help my success rate?
> >Can I use them both at the same time? (as logic would dictate considering
> >the tongs are to hold the piece while the hammer bangs it back into
shape)

> Nope on both.
>
> But just like with lockpicks and potion making, there are better tools.
>
> Repair Prongs - 0.5
> Apprentice's Armorer's Hammer - 0.8
> Journeyman's Armorer's Hammer - 1.0
> Master's Armorer's Hammer - 1.30
> GrandMaster's Armorer's Hammer - 1.70
> Sirollus Saccus's (Secret Master)Hammer - 2.0

thank you all for your responses.
I now understand how they are implimented.

I still have this humerous image of my character holding a piece of armor by
the tongs and whacking it against an anvil, or holding a weapon in his own
hand and hitting both his hand and the anvil with the hammer :)

:Arlocnul smashes his glass shield against the anvil over and
<smash>... repaired... <SHATTER>... oops..........

> I have used hammers to repair armor.
> I have used tongs to repair armor.
> Does having both in my inventory help my success rate?

Nope.

> Can I use them both at the same time? (as logic would dictate considering
> the tongs are to hold the piece while the hammer bangs it back into shape)

Nope.

> I've seen alchemy equipment work together (all for images appear when you
> choose one) but not the repair stuff.

Because each alchemy equipment gives different bonus to your potions/potion
making process. The repair tools do the same thing.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:43:39 GMT, "Andrew E. Wiggin" <noone@home.com>
wrote:

>I have used hammers to repair armor.
>I have used tongs to repair armor.
>Does having both in my inventory help my success rate?
>Can I use them both at the same time? (as logic would dictate considering
>the tongs are to hold the piece while the hammer bangs it back into shape)

No, they work separately.
If you want to repair the armour as efficiently as possible, always use
the best hammer you have.
If you want to increase your skill as quickly as possible, always use
the tongs.
--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

"Greg Johnson" <gsj@labyrinth.net.au> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:43:39 GMT, "Andrew E. Wiggin" <noone@home.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have used hammers to repair armor.
> >I have used tongs to repair armor.
> >Does having both in my inventory help my success rate?
> >Can I use them both at the same time? (as logic would dictate considering
> >the tongs are to hold the piece while the hammer bangs it back into
shape)

> No, they work separately.
> If you want to repair the armour as efficiently as possible, always use
> the best hammer you have.
> If you want to increase your skill as quickly as possible, always use
> the tongs.

Thanks Greg. That was helpful advice!

Mike D.

> I still have this humerous image of my character holding a piece of armor
by
> the tongs and whacking it against an anvil, or holding a weapon in his own
> hand and hitting both his hand and the anvil with the hammer :)
>
> :Arlocnul smashes his glass shield against the anvil over and
> <smash>... repaired... <SHATTER>... oops..........

Someone make a mod that improves unarmored and blunt weapon skills on a
failed repair attempt with hammer :)

icon

KC Wong wrote:

> Someone make a mod that improves unarmored and blunt weapon skills on a
> failed repair attempt with hammer :)

Has been done, it is called Failure Based Progress. I don't have a link
for you though, sorry.

MERLIN

"Greg Johnson" <gsj@labyrinth.net.au> skrev i en meddelelse
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:43:39 GMT, "Andrew E. Wiggin" <noone@home.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have used hammers to repair armor.
> >I have used tongs to repair armor.
> >Does having both in my inventory help my success rate?
> >Can I use them both at the same time? (as logic would dictate
considering
> >the tongs are to hold the piece while the hammer bangs it back into
shape)

> No, they work separately.
> If you want to repair the armour as efficiently as possible, always use
> the best hammer you have.
> If you want to increase your skill as quickly as possible, always use
> the tongs.
> --
> Greg Johnson
> Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

Prongs and apprentice hammers are great for
beginners armorer training due to the 25 uses
per tool. I prefer them for training

When you are skilled there hardly seems to
be any difference

merlin

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 06:08:04 +0200, "Merlin" <bech_dokNOSPAM@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Prongs and apprentice hammers are great for
> beginners armorer training due to the 25 uses
> per tool. I prefer them for training
>
> When you are skilled there hardly seems to
> be any difference

The prongs still repair less, so you get more practice out of a single
piece of armour - each success counts equally for improving your skill,
whether it repairs 1 point or 1000.
--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

> > Someone make a mod that improves unarmored and blunt weapon skills on a
> > failed repair attempt with hammer :)
>
> Has been done, it is called Failure Based Progress. I don't have a link
> for you though, sorry.

Yes, I know about the failure based progress scripts... but I was just
joking :)

You know, fail a repair attempt, so you hit your hand instead of your
equipment, thus your unarmored and blunt weapon skill improves :D

Unless you're telling me that someone really made the joke a mod...