Workstation management questions with AD

TOMI

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

We are about to start reviewing AD -

thinking about if we should move from NDS NW 5.1 to AD

I have some questions -

Thanks!!!

Workstation Management

Ø Altiris requires a server per site.? witn an AD network?

Universal Workstation Administrator account - How many different was can it
be administered with AD?

Ø How many different ways can we migrate workstations within AD? From
NDS? We are also going to be moving to Altiris for our App and Patch,
Workstation deployment also - how well does AD work with Altiris?

We use W2K Pro on the desktop - how hard would it be to also upgrade our OS
to XP?

what would we need to do with out profiles?

cedric

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004

For migration NW5.1 to AD you can see the product called "NDS Migrator" from
Quest.

For Altiris, I am not sure but it seems exist an extension schema for AD.

Cédric.

"Tomi" a écrit :

> We are about to start reviewing AD -
>
> thinking about if we should move from NDS NW 5.1 to AD
>

> I have some questions -
>

> Thanks!!!
>

> Workstation Management
>
> Ø Altiris requires a server per site.? witn an AD network?
>

> Universal Workstation Administrator account - How many different was can it
> be administered with AD?
>

> Ø How many different ways can we migrate workstations within AD? From
> NDS? We are also going to be moving to Altiris for our App and Patch,
> Workstation deployment also - how well does AD work with Altiris?
>

> We use W2K Pro on the desktop - how hard would it be to also upgrade our OS
> to XP?
>
> what would we need to do with out profiles?

Hi Tomi,

I am not sure about Altiris, but yes, you need server on your site,
otherwise you will have big trouble.

Best Practices for Active Directory Design and Deployment
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/profwin/pw0302.mspx

NetWare to Windows 2000 Server Migration Planning Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/incremental/netmigrate.asp

The guides should be good for you to start with. Regarding the upgrade to
XP, it should be easy and not much trouble. The most important thing is you
have to be sure about your software compatibility.

br,
Denis