group policy does not show all available options

Hi,

I have a w2k domain controller running service pack4. I'm in the
process of creating a second group policy for a group of users.
Policy1 is in place and working great. However; the second newly
created group policy (policy2) is missing a lot of the options that the
1st group policy has. Example: Policy1 under User
Configuration:Administrative Templates:Start Menu and Taskbar:"Remove
My Documentsicon from Start Menu" is shown. Policy2 does not have this
option. It's not just this folder either. There are other folders
throughout this policy. New policies I've created on this same server
are identical. They are all missing options. I have never seen this
before. I don't recall any updates being put on or any system changes
made to the server. Has anyone come across this? I don't really even
know where to begin here.

Are you managing the GPO from a different workstation? You probably need to
import the necessary .ADM files to see all available GPO settings:

You need to import the XPSP2 .ADM files into Group Policy - I recommend that
you do this from an XP machine running the Group Policy Management Console:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=92759d4b-7112-4b6c-ad4a-bbf3802a5c9b&displaylang=en

--
Laura E. Hunter
Author: _Active Directory Consultant's Field Guide_
(http://tinyurl.com/7f8ll)

All information provided "AS-IS", no warranties expressed or implied.
Replies to newsgroup only.

"b33gopher" <b33gopher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a w2k domain controller running service pack4. I'm in the
> process of creating a second group policy for a group of users.
> Policy1 is in place and working great. However; the second newly
> created group policy (policy2) is missing a lot of the options that the
> 1st group policy has. Example: Policy1 under User
> Configuration:Administrative Templates:Start Menu and Taskbar:"Remove
> My Documentsicon from Start Menu" is shown. Policy2 does not have this
> option. It's not just this folder either. There are other folders
> throughout this policy. New policies I've created on this same server
> are identical. They are all missing options. I have never seen this
> before. I don't recall any updates being put on or any system changes
> made to the server. Has anyone come across this? I don't really even
> know where to begin here.

Laura,

No, I'm not managing the GPO from a different workstation. I'm using
RDP to connect to the server. Is it possible that if someone opened a
GPO from an xp machine that it could have modified or written the .ADM
files on the server?

I noticed when installing the windows xp .adm files. There was a
warning that these .adm files should not be used to overwrite the
actually .adm files currently installed on the windows xp machine.
They were for reference only. Is this the true in the case for the
windows 2000 server? I don't want to mess up this server

Definitely a possibility. I'd re-import your ADM files on the server (from
the link in my last message) just to make sure that everything is
consistent.

--
Laura E. Hunter
Author: _Active Directory Consultant's Field Guide_
(http://tinyurl.com/7f8ll)

> Laura,
>
> No, I'm not managing the GPO from a different workstation. I'm using
> RDP to connect to the server. Is it possible that if someone opened a
> GPO from an xp machine that it could have modified or written the .ADM
> files on the server?

look in "desktop" not "start menu and taskbar". these policie were included
with W2k SP1.

"b33gopher" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a w2k domain controller running service pack4. I'm in the
> process of creating a second group policy for a group of users.
> Policy1 is in place and working great. However; the second newly
> created group policy (policy2) is missing a lot of the options that the
> 1st group policy has. Example: Policy1 under User
> Configuration:Administrative Templates:Start Menu and Taskbar:"Remove
> My Documentsicon from Start Menu" is shown. Policy2 does not have this
> option. It's not just this folder either. There are other folders
> throughout this policy. New policies I've created on this same server
> are identical. They are all missing options. I have never seen this
> before. I don't recall any updates being put on or any system changes
> made to the server. Has anyone come across this? I don't really even
> know where to begin here.

TRENDING THREADS