Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD's price cuts 24 July

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 17, 2006 8:33:54 PM

Well, it seems that AMD's price cuts in response to Conroe are in line with what i had speculated in other threads, and are now competitive with Intel's offerings. (Source: Daily Tech)
$282 for an X2 5000+ coupled with cheaper mainboards, make it definitely a viable alternative to an E6600.
The 3800+ is now 150$, and very interesting are also the energy efficient versions.
FX-62 is now at 799$, though it does not seem (to me) to have a real market, unless 4x4 delivers sensible perfomance on common applications AND they manage to lock the platform on FX only CPUs; otherwise, i can see a pair of 5000+ getting in the case of many enthusiasts..
The price war is heating up, and it has never been a better moment to upgrade your CPU.

More about : amd price cuts july

July 17, 2006 8:46:05 PM

Good for AMD ... they claimed they would offer price/performance parity with Intel and they have, more or less. Not the FX62 of course :lol: 

E6600 is equivalent to a FX62 and it is $350.

Not enough to keep me from Conroe though! But at least the rabid AMD fanbois get cheaper swag now.

PS: AMDs 4x4 is worthless if its locked to FX chips ... it seems certain to be, X2s dont have enough cHT links for dual socket computing. Dual Woodcrests will cost the same and be twice as fast as any 4x4 AMD system.

PPS: X2s use much more power than Conroes
a c 472 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
July 17, 2006 9:02:36 PM

The prices do seems pretty competitive, with the exception of the FX-62. Then again, that's not very surprising. This is definitely good for anyone who wants to stick with AMD. At these prices I think the best option really is the X2 5000+ because it is the fastest non Athlon FX CPU. Going for a slower AM2 CPU is kinda pointless to me because the S939 version will basically perform the same as the AM2 version of the same model.

However, if people are looking for performance this is better than the X2 5000+ and costs less than the FX-62, then they will have to look at the Conroe E6600 and E6700. The X2 5000+ street price will be less than the E6600, but the E6600 can beat the FX-62 in most benchmarks (if not all).

Regardless of which brand people are buying, the consumers are the ultimate winners. The only real losers will be the stockholders since pricewars ususally means less revenues and less net profits after taxes. That means lower stock prices.
Related resources
July 17, 2006 9:07:45 PM

I can hear BM crowing at your post...

I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!!
July 17, 2006 9:10:20 PM

Good find - this is very interesting.

The cuts are more dramatic than people had initially thought. Even though recent quotes from AMD suggested that they might go this far, the fanboys refused to believe that AMD would have to cut so much. BM was spouting about the 5000+ being at $400 and everyone else was saying that nobody would buy at that price. I guess AMD thought the same.

What is very interesting is that AMD have basically stuck 2 fingers up at anyone running a socket 939 system. No quoted prices for hardly any of the 939 line, only the bottom end chips, and this line was supposed to continue until the end of 2006.

If any of these users (like me) want to upgrade, what sort of message is that sending? Basically, stick your 939 and choose between AM2 or whatever Intel is offering. Oh, and you'll have to buy a new motherboard and some new RAM as well.

Nobody is going to buy those FX60s and X2 4800+s at the 'normal' price.

On other platforms however, for existing AM2 users just looking to upgrade, the prices look excellent. I doubt they are good enough to swing the mainstream away from the Core 2 Duo where most new users buying afresh will go to, but it is a decent counter-punch. Of course, a counter-punch doesn't normally have much oomph if you've just been hit with a piledriver.
July 17, 2006 9:13:46 PM

The FX-62 will drop to the sub $400 category soon :wink:
July 17, 2006 9:23:17 PM

Quote:
The FX-62 will drop to the sub $400 category soon :wink:


Great.

That's useless to me though - I don't want to change my mobo and RAM now - I'll do that all 6 months after Vista has arrived and matured. I want a 12 month stop gap and a cheap 939 upgrade would do that.

I'm hoping sincerely that this is just a lack of information, and not AMD cutting off the 939 platform abruptly 5 months ahead of their schedule.
July 17, 2006 9:23:22 PM

Thanks !

No mention of S939 X2s though...

EDIT : Sorry ! On closer inspection, S939 are affected too :lol: 
July 17, 2006 9:23:31 PM

Well my impression is that, with this price cuts, AMD is far from regaining the price/performance crown as claimed, but they're definitely in the game for the mainstream.
Basically you can look at the X2s as intermediate steps in the C2D pricing... especially considering the total platform price.
But you're right S939 does not look too good at the moment, let's hope that something will be done about that, as i think it could be a very good market for AMD and prevent a lot of "fans" to switch sides.
But i'll refrain, FX-62 prices at the moment don't make sense.
July 17, 2006 9:26:37 PM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
July 17, 2006 9:34:01 PM

The FX62's price doesn't make any sense. Maybe when 4X4 comes out they will have a buy one get one free deal. :) 
July 17, 2006 9:38:38 PM

I've felt for a while that AMD might do this. It appears that they are placing all attention on saving marketshare than profits. Let's face it, AMD has report MANY quarters in the red in the past with only a few recent ones in the black so investors are already used to seeing them operate this way. However, the real momentum comes from their stock which they plan to use as leverage for building new factories...and possibly buyouts(ATI). The primary driver behind their stock has been the gain in market share, so, without marketshare, stock will go down which ultimately has a direct affect on their expansion plans.

So, at this point in the game, marketshare is sacred ground for AMD, and is why they are willing to sacrifice profits.
July 17, 2006 9:38:49 PM

This should keep AMD in the game since their motherboards are so much cheaper. A complete system should be price/performace comparable to Conroe even though the individual CPUs aren't. (Close, but not quite.)

I hope AMD can still afford to develop K8L (and 45nm, let alone perfect 65nm). Price cuts this deep combined with retooling and building Fabs leaves one to wonder...
July 17, 2006 9:47:03 PM

you mean that AMD is only cutting the price of the AM2's & not the 939's. why would they do this? if i have to buy a new board & ram, i'll go conroe.
July 17, 2006 9:48:12 PM

Quote:
I've felt for a while that AMD might do this. It appears that they are placing all attention on saving marketshare than profits. Let's face it, AMD has report MANY quarters in the red in the past with only a few recent ones in the black so investors are already used to seeing them operate this way. However, the real momentum comes from their stock which they plan to use as leverage for building new factories...and possibly buyouts(ATI). The primary driver behind their stock has been the gain in market share, so, without marketshare, stock will go down which ultimately has a direct affect on their expansion plans.

So, at this point in the game, marketshare is sacred ground for AMD, and is why they are willing to sacrifice profits.


Uh ... AMDs stock price has halved in the last 6 months.
July 17, 2006 9:52:24 PM

WOW! Thats great pricing for the x2's. Given that conroe will not be more than 40% by christmas of outgoing CPU's and AMD having a ton of AM2 stock as it is, they should do very well. Add on top of that, the fact that motherboards are more expensive for Intel and the pricing seems very in-line.(yes except for the fx but its not TOO bad).
July 17, 2006 9:54:58 PM

Quote:
I can hear BM crowing at your post...

I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!!



Its been no secret AMD was planning to cut its prices, and, based on that chart, they didnt cut them nearly enough to keep the price/perfromance crown once Conroe is released.

A Far Cry (pun intended) from MrsD's (aka MMM) prediction of a $280 FX 62.

Looks to me like every one can tell MrsD and the "poster we do not speak of" ...."I told you so"

Peace :) 
July 17, 2006 9:55:43 PM

Quote:
The FX-62 will drop to the sub $400 category soon :wink:


You may well be right!! :wink:
July 17, 2006 9:57:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I've felt for a while that AMD might do this. It appears that they are placing all attention on saving marketshare than profits. Let's face it, AMD has report MANY quarters in the red in the past with only a few recent ones in the black so investors are already used to seeing them operate this way. However, the real momentum comes from their stock which they plan to use as leverage for building new factories...and possibly buyouts(ATI). The primary driver behind their stock has been the gain in market share, so, without marketshare, stock will go down which ultimately has a direct affect on their expansion plans.

So, at this point in the game, marketshare is sacred ground for AMD, and is why they are willing to sacrifice profits.


Uh ... AMDs stock price has halved in the last 6 months.


http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/1y/i/intc
July 17, 2006 9:57:42 PM

Well, why so?
Just calculate the price and performance of X2+mobo VS C2D+mobo... of course the high end is all Intel, but the midrange and entry level are quite even..
July 17, 2006 9:59:04 PM

That's just perfect, for what I was willing to pay for a single core 3800, now I can get a dual core!
July 17, 2006 9:59:54 PM

Quote:
I've felt for a while that AMD might do this. It appears that they are placing all attention on saving marketshare than profits. Let's face it, AMD has report MANY quarters in the red in the past with only a few recent ones in the black so investors are already used to seeing them operate this way. However, the real momentum comes from their stock which they plan to use as leverage for building new factories...and possibly buyouts(ATI). The primary driver behind their stock has been the gain in market share, so, without marketshare, stock will go down which ultimately has a direct affect on their expansion plans.

So, at this point in the game, marketshare is sacred ground for AMD, and is why they are willing to sacrifice profits.


Uh ... AMDs stock price has halved in the last 6 months.


http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/1y/i/intc

Seems that Big Blue man group has followed a similar path.
July 17, 2006 10:09:43 PM

The price of that 5000+ is really so tempting, wow, thats a huge price cut, at nearly 57%

It may even be worth reconsidering my future PC because of that price - will have to see how that translates into £'s and what a competitive system is going to cost. Good times to be a consumer!
July 17, 2006 10:11:54 PM

Quote:
Well, why so?
Just calculate the price and performance of X2+mobo VS C2D+mobo... of course the high end is all Intel, but the midrange and entry level are quite even..



Ya, but adding in the ram cost, whose latency I have been informed is much more critical for the AMD systems performance than Conroes, drives the AMD systems price back up, assuming you buy the cheap ram for the conroe and the better ram for the AMD.
July 17, 2006 10:12:27 PM



Intel: 25 -> 18 ~ -28%

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AMD&t=1y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c...
AMD: 40 -> 21 ~ -50%

:roll:


I think both will continue to go down. Stockholders are not going to like the next couple of P&Ls with margins this low.
Intel will probably be better off since with 65nm, it can produce cheaper. Plus they can make money on motherboard sales.
AMD is probably not even making a dime at these retails until they can start rolling in 65nm.
Either way, I think mainstream is waiting for Vista before upgrading their computers.
July 17, 2006 10:21:41 PM

Quote:
I've felt for a while that AMD might do this. It appears that they are placing all attention on saving marketshare than profits. Let's face it, AMD has report MANY quarters in the red in the past with only a few recent ones in the black so investors are already used to seeing them operate this way. However, the real momentum comes from their stock which they plan to use as leverage for building new factories...and possibly buyouts(ATI). The primary driver behind their stock has been the gain in market share, so, without marketshare, stock will go down which ultimately has a direct affect on their expansion plans.

So, at this point in the game, marketshare is sacred ground for AMD, and is why they are willing to sacrifice profits.


Uh ... AMDs stock price has halved in the last 6 months.

Correct, and if they have any hopes of keeping it from halving(or more) again in the next six months, they had to do something drastic.

I don't know if you remember or not, but AMD's stock was in the $5+ range through most of 2003...and without those investment dollars, their growth plans will be stymied because profits alone won't carry them.
July 17, 2006 10:47:12 PM

Quote:


Uh ... AMDs stock price has halved in the last 6 months.


Of course Intel's ahsn't done much better, it's pretty much tanked over the last 6 months... its got me wondering what is going on as one of the two companies should be doing well IMO (more Intel at this point IMO)
July 17, 2006 11:00:21 PM

Quote:

AMD's stock was artificially inflated...


I couldn't agree with you more. I found it strange that so many investors were so willing to jump on AMD stock after such a short run of success. Perhaps they were bedazzled by the possibility of AMD someday achieving a level of success of the same magnitude as Intel. It's becoming doubtful that this will happen though...hence the drastic drop in AMD share price.
July 17, 2006 11:01:26 PM

Quote:
Well, it seems that AMD's price cuts in response to Conroe are in line with what i had speculated in other threads, and are now competitive with Intel's offerings. (Source: Daily Tech)
$282 for an X2 5000+ coupled with cheaper mainboards, make it definitely a viable alternative to an E6600.
The 3800+ is now 150$, and very interesting are also the energy efficient versions.
FX-62 is now at 799$, though it does not seem (to me) to have a real market, unless 4x4 delivers sensible perfomance on common applications AND they manage to lock the platform on FX only CPUs; otherwise, i can see a pair of 5000+ getting in the case of many enthusiasts..
The price war is heating up, and it has never been a better moment to upgrade your CPU.



Here are the new mobile CPU prices:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3362 :lol: 
July 17, 2006 11:08:40 PM

Quote:
Good find - this is very interesting.

The cuts are more dramatic than people had initially thought. Even though recent quotes from AMD suggested that they might go this far, the fanboys refused to believe that AMD would have to cut so much. BM was spouting about the 5000+ being at $400 and everyone else was saying that nobody would buy at that price. I guess AMD thought the same.

What is very interesting is that AMD have basically stuck 2 fingers up at anyone running a socket 939 system. No quoted prices for hardly any of the 939 line, only the bottom end chips, and this line was supposed to continue until the end of 2006.

If any of these users (like me) want to upgrade, what sort of message is that sending? Basically, stick your 939 and choose between AM2 or whatever Intel is offering. Oh, and you'll have to buy a new motherboard and some new RAM as well.

Nobody is going to buy those FX60s and X2 4800+s at the 'normal' price.


On other platforms however, for existing AM2 users just looking to upgrade, the prices look excellent. I doubt they are good enough to swing the mainstream away from the Core 2 Duo where most new users buying afresh will go to, but it is a decent counter-punch. Of course, a counter-punch doesn't normally have much oomph if you've just been hit with a piledriver.


Those N/A's may mean AMD is dropping those CPU's from mass production as Intel only has 2 CPU's to compare with the X2's. The FX-62 price means nothing as the FX-64 is comming next month but forcasts last month had it at $999.

After seeing the small, FX line, gains over the X2 5000+ I wouldnt buy those CPU's but I have to see the FX-64's performance and new price.

Those new prices also should force the AM2 line over the 939's for AMD.
a c 472 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
July 17, 2006 11:16:46 PM

Quote:
I can hear BM crowing at your post...

I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!!


:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Probably. But everyone has their price point and performance expectations.

Since I'm ready to mothball (give away actually) my current Athlon XP-M PC, I'll be going for the E6600.
July 17, 2006 11:33:35 PM

Quote:
....
Nobody is going to buy those FX60s and X2 4800+s at the 'normal' price.
....


Those N/A's may mean AMD is dropping those CPU's from mass production as Intel only has 2 CPU's to compare with the X2's. The FX-62 price means nothing as the FX-64 is comming next month but forcasts last month had it at $999.

After seeing the small, FX line, gains over the X2 5000+ I wouldnt buy those CPU's but I have to see the FX-64's performance and new price.

Those new prices also should force the AM2 line over the 939's for AMD.

I know that but you're missing the point. There is no pricing information on those chips, and they are still being produced - some 939s will be produced for the next 11 months. I've zero interest in a X2 5000+ or an FX-62 / 64. They operate on another platform - AM2.

The 939 platform was a real enthusiast favourite adopted very early. It would be nice to see some sort of confirmation around the price cuts in this area.
July 18, 2006 12:34:08 AM

Quote:
....
Nobody is going to buy those FX60s and X2 4800+s at the 'normal' price.
....


Those N/A's may mean AMD is dropping those CPU's from mass production as Intel only has 2 CPU's to compare with the X2's. The FX-62 price means nothing as the FX-64 is comming next month but forcasts last month had it at $999.

After seeing the small, FX line, gains over the X2 5000+ I wouldnt buy those CPU's but I have to see the FX-64's performance and new price.

Those new prices also should force the AM2 line over the 939's for AMD.

I know that but you're missing the point. There is no pricing information on those chips, and they are still being produced - some 939s will be produced for the next 11 months. I've zero interest in a X2 5000+ or an FX-62 / 64. They operate on another platform - AM2.

The 939 platform was a real enthusiast favourite adopted very early. It would be nice to see some sort of confirmation around the price cuts in this area.
No, AMD wants to move on to the AM2 board is the point and they want to only sale their low cost 512K X2's at that low price on the 939.

The FX-62 is slated for the 939 and sould be released when the FX-64 comes to the AM2 boards.
July 18, 2006 12:57:44 AM

Quote:
The FX-62 is slated for the 939 and sould be released when the FX-64 comes to the AM2 boards.


Sorry - I missed that there would be anything beyond the FX-60 for the 939. Thanks for that - any idea when it will be ready?
July 18, 2006 1:27:38 AM

Quote:
The FX-62 is slated for the 939 and sould be released when the FX-64 comes to the AM2 boards.


Sorry - I missed that there would be anything beyond the FX-60 for the 939. Thanks for that - any idea when it will be ready?
The FX-62 is slated for around the time the FX-64 comes out on the AM2 board. I'll try and dig up the article on it but I think its the only time line given.
July 18, 2006 1:34:52 AM

My god i hope these price cuts affect 939. I have got 2gigs of super low latency ram and i was hoping to pick up a dual core on the cheap with these price cuts (i have a 3700 right now).
July 18, 2006 1:48:41 AM

Quote:
My god i hope these price cuts affect 939. I have got 2gigs of super low latency ram and i was hoping to pick up a dual core on the cheap with these price cuts (i have a 3700 right now).

If you only use your system for gamming you may want to stay with your 3700. The X2 4600+ will only match it in single core gamming and you would be better off waiting for the K8L to get that shocking increase in performance.
July 18, 2006 2:37:02 AM

Awesome. They better be talking about S939 as well. I've been wanting a dual core processor for a while now. If AMD doesn't drop the S939 and shafts those customers I will remove the AMD fanboy declaration from my signature.
July 18, 2006 2:39:01 AM

In the chart, they have both a 3800 x2, and a 3800 x2 socket AM2 listed, so I'm sure the price of both AM2 and 939 will be $149
July 18, 2006 3:02:12 AM

Quote:
The FX-62 will drop to the sub $400 category soon :wink:


Moo.
Your Funny Cause Your A Women!
July 18, 2006 3:56:25 AM

Well, if I can't get a Core 2 in time then I guess AM2 will still be an option.
July 18, 2006 4:06:06 AM

Quote:
Awesome. They better be talking about S939 as well. I've been wanting a dual core processor for a while now. If AMD doesn't drop the S939 and shafts those customers I will remove the AMD fanboy declaration from my signature.


Apparently nobody bothered to look at the price chart. There are socket 939's listed all over the place. As was previously mentioned, they are the ones that are not specified as AM2.

S939 is included.

Look at the chart. Don't just complain that S939 isn't there.
July 18, 2006 4:58:11 PM

Quote:
Awesome. They better be talking about S939 as well. I've been wanting a dual core processor for a while now. If AMD doesn't drop the S939 and shafts those customers I will remove the AMD fanboy declaration from my signature.


Apparently nobody bothered to look at the price chart. There are socket 939's listed all over the place. As was previously mentioned, they are the ones that are not specified as AM2.

S939 is included.

Look at the chart. Don't just complain that S939 isn't there.

But retailers are not reducing 939 costs at the moment - only AM2.
July 18, 2006 5:10:10 PM

Quote:
Well my impression is that, with this price cuts, AMD is far from regaining the price/performance crown as claimed, but they're definitely in the game for the mainstream.
Basically you can look at the X2s as intermediate steps in the C2D pricing... especially considering the total platform price.
But you're right S939 does not look too good at the moment, let's hope that something will be done about that, as i think it could be a very good market for AMD and prevent a lot of "fans" to switch sides.
But i'll refrain, FX-62 prices at the moment don't make sense.


AMD will reach at least the X25000 with socket 939 for those of you who dont want to switch your current hardware.
July 18, 2006 5:13:38 PM

Quote:
Well my impression is that, with this price cuts, AMD is far from regaining the price/performance crown as claimed, but they're definitely in the game for the mainstream.
Basically you can look at the X2s as intermediate steps in the C2D pricing... especially considering the total platform price.
But you're right S939 does not look too good at the moment, let's hope that something will be done about that, as i think it could be a very good market for AMD and prevent a lot of "fans" to switch sides.
But i'll refrain, FX-62 prices at the moment don't make sense.


AMD will reach at least the X25000 with socket 939 for those of you who dont want to switch your current hardware.

Fine, as long as it matches or is cheaper than the AM2 price.
July 22, 2006 4:32:55 PM

How will these price drops work in retailer stores? Will drops happen immediately? Does that mean on the day? The announced AMD price drop will happen on Monday, July 24th. When will retailers such as Fry's and CompUSA drop their prices to match the dropped prices?
July 22, 2006 6:03:15 PM

Why do you compare the E6600 to the 5000+? Because they both are the 2nd CPU in their respective line-ups?
The 5000+ competes with the E6300 which is a 183-dollar-CPU.
!