Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Well, it seems that AMD's price cuts in response to Conroe are in line with what i had speculated in other threads, and are now competitive with Intel's offerings. (Source: Daily Tech)
$282 for an X2 5000+ coupled with cheaper mainboards, make it definitely a viable alternative to an E6600.
The 3800+ is now 150$, and very interesting are also the energy efficient versions.
FX-62 is now at 799$, though it does not seem (to me) to have a real market, unless 4x4 delivers sensible perfomance on common applications AND they manage to lock the platform on FX only CPUs; otherwise, i can see a pair of 5000+ getting in the case of many enthusiasts..
The price war is heating up, and it has never been a better moment to upgrade your CPU.

Wombat2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Good for AMD ... they claimed they would offer price/performance parity with Intel and they have, more or less. Not the FX62 of course :lol:

E6600 is equivalent to a FX62 and it is $350.

Not enough to keep me from Conroe though! But at least the rabid AMD fanbois get cheaper swag now.

PS: AMDs 4x4 is worthless if its locked to FX chips ... it seems certain to be, X2s dont have enough cHT links for dual socket computing. Dual Woodcrests will cost the same and be twice as fast as any 4x4 AMD system.

PPS: X2s use much more power than Conroes

The prices do seems pretty competitive, with the exception of the FX-62. Then again, that's not very surprising. This is definitely good for anyone who wants to stick with AMD. At these prices I think the best option really is the X2 5000+ because it is the fastest non Athlon FX CPU. Going for a slower AM2 CPU is kinda pointless to me because the S939 version will basically perform the same as the AM2 version of the same model.

However, if people are looking for performance this is better than the X2 5000+ and costs less than the FX-62, then they will have to look at the Conroe E6600 and E6700. The X2 5000+ street price will be less than the E6600, but the E6600 can beat the FX-62 in most benchmarks (if not all).

Regardless of which brand people are buying, the consumers are the ultimate winners. The only real losers will be the stockholders since pricewars ususally means less revenues and less net profits after taxes. That means lower stock prices.

RichPLS

Champion
I can hear BM crowing at your post...

I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!!

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Good find - this is very interesting.

The cuts are more dramatic than people had initially thought. Even though recent quotes from AMD suggested that they might go this far, the fanboys refused to believe that AMD would have to cut so much. BM was spouting about the 5000+ being at $400 and everyone else was saying that nobody would buy at that price. I guess AMD thought the same.

What is very interesting is that AMD have basically stuck 2 fingers up at anyone running a socket 939 system. No quoted prices for hardly any of the 939 line, only the bottom end chips, and this line was supposed to continue until the end of 2006.

If any of these users (like me) want to upgrade, what sort of message is that sending? Basically, stick your 939 and choose between AM2 or whatever Intel is offering. Oh, and you'll have to buy a new motherboard and some new RAM as well.

Nobody is going to buy those FX60s and X2 4800+s at the 'normal' price.

On other platforms however, for existing AM2 users just looking to upgrade, the prices look excellent. I doubt they are good enough to swing the mainstream away from the Core 2 Duo where most new users buying afresh will go to, but it is a decent counter-punch. Of course, a counter-punch doesn't normally have much oomph if you've just been hit with a piledriver.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
The FX-62 will drop to the sub $400 category soon :wink:

Great.

That's useless to me though - I don't want to change my mobo and RAM now - I'll do that all 6 months after Vista has arrived and matured. I want a 12 month stop gap and a cheap 939 upgrade would do that.

I'm hoping sincerely that this is just a lack of information, and not AMD cutting off the 939 platform abruptly 5 months ahead of their schedule.

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Well my impression is that, with this price cuts, AMD is far from regaining the price/performance crown as claimed, but they're definitely in the game for the mainstream.
Basically you can look at the X2s as intermediate steps in the C2D pricing... especially considering the total platform price.
But you're right S939 does not look too good at the moment, let's hope that something will be done about that, as i think it could be a very good market for AMD and prevent a lot of "fans" to switch sides.
But i'll refrain, FX-62 prices at the moment don't make sense.

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
I've felt for a while that AMD might do this. It appears that they are placing all attention on saving marketshare than profits. Let's face it, AMD has report MANY quarters in the red in the past with only a few recent ones in the black so investors are already used to seeing them operate this way. However, the real momentum comes from their stock which they plan to use as leverage for building new factories...and possibly buyouts(ATI). The primary driver behind their stock has been the gain in market share, so, without marketshare, stock will go down which ultimately has a direct affect on their expansion plans.

So, at this point in the game, marketshare is sacred ground for AMD, and is why they are willing to sacrifice profits.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
This should keep AMD in the game since their motherboards are so much cheaper. A complete system should be price/performace comparable to Conroe even though the individual CPUs aren't. (Close, but not quite.)

I hope AMD can still afford to develop K8L (and 45nm, let alone perfect 65nm). Price cuts this deep combined with retooling and building Fabs leaves one to wonder...

roncpem

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
you mean that AMD is only cutting the price of the AM2's & not the 939's. why would they do this? if i have to buy a new board & ram, i'll go conroe.

Wombat2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
I've felt for a while that AMD might do this. It appears that they are placing all attention on saving marketshare than profits. Let's face it, AMD has report MANY quarters in the red in the past with only a few recent ones in the black so investors are already used to seeing them operate this way. However, the real momentum comes from their stock which they plan to use as leverage for building new factories...and possibly buyouts(ATI). The primary driver behind their stock has been the gain in market share, so, without marketshare, stock will go down which ultimately has a direct affect on their expansion plans.

So, at this point in the game, marketshare is sacred ground for AMD, and is why they are willing to sacrifice profits.

Uh ... AMDs stock price has halved in the last 6 months.

jodo

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
WOW! Thats great pricing for the x2's. Given that conroe will not be more than 40% by christmas of outgoing CPU's and AMD having a ton of AM2 stock as it is, they should do very well. Add on top of that, the fact that motherboards are more expensive for Intel and the pricing seems very in-line.(yes except for the fx but its not TOO bad).

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I can hear BM crowing at your post...

I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!! I told you so!!!

Its been no secret AMD was planning to cut its prices, and, based on that chart, they didnt cut them nearly enough to keep the price/perfromance crown once Conroe is released.

A Far Cry (pun intended) from MrsD's (aka MMM) prediction of a $280 FX 62.

Looks to me like every one can tell MrsD and the "poster we do not speak of" ...."I told you so"

Peace :)

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Wombat2 said:

http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/1y/i/intc

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Well, why so?
Just calculate the price and performance of X2+mobo VS C2D+mobo... of course the high end is all Intel, but the midrange and entry level are quite even..

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005

http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/1y/i/intc

Seems that Big Blue man group has followed a similar path.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
The price of that 5000+ is really so tempting, wow, thats a huge price cut, at nearly 57%

It may even be worth reconsidering my future PC because of that price - will have to see how that translates into £'s and what a competitive system is going to cost. Good times to be a consumer!

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Well, why so?
Just calculate the price and performance of X2+mobo VS C2D+mobo... of course the high end is all Intel, but the midrange and entry level are quite even..

Ya, but adding in the ram cost, whose latency I have been informed is much more critical for the AMD systems performance than Conroes, drives the AMD systems price back up, assuming you buy the cheap ram for the conroe and the better ram for the AMD.