looking for beginners guide on pki

The company i work, a few selected staff have pki cards so they can read
certain emails. However they are unable to log on to their WinXP
workstation using the card. Could someone point me to some beginners
guide/background theory/ tutorial on how this all works. Just as important
is there a step-by-step on how to implement PKI/smartcards
from scratch on a small network?
1 answer Last reply
More about looking beginners guide

    "root" <root@papernapkin.net> wrote in message
    > The company i work, a few selected staff have pki cards so they can read
    > certain emails. However they are unable to log on to their WinXP
    > workstation using the card. Could someone point me to some beginners
    > guide/background theory/ tutorial on how this all works. Just as important
    > is there a step-by-step on how to implement PKI/smartcards
    > from scratch on a small network?

    The articles below will get you started; they were found with
    the following Google search:

    [ "step-by-step" "smart cards" site:microsoft.com ]

    FYI: PKI means "Public Key Infrastructure" and today most
    implementations of SmartCards use public key certificates so
    most people would just say "Smartcards" or if being specific:
    "Smartcards with a public certificate".

    The "infrastructure" is all of the 'plumbing' needed to make
    this and other public key security work, e.g., (certificate
    servers, web sites, CRL-certificate revocation lists, the
    certificate MMC, maybe Group Policy etc.)

    Step-by-Step Guide to Setting up a Certification Authority
    This step-by-step guide will help you set up a public key certification ...
    For example, some smart cards may not accept certificates issued by a CA
    that ...
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/security/casetupstep
    s.asp>

    Step-by-Step Guide to Enforcing Strong Password Policies in ...
    This step-by-step guide details methods for defining strong password
    policies... such as biometrics, smart cards, and one-time passwords, are
    available
    for ...
    <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies
    /directory/activedirectory/stepbystep/strngpw.mspx>

    Installing and Using a Smart Card Reader on Windows 2000 Professional
    A further benefit is that smart cards lock after a PIN is entered
    incorrectly a
    small number of ... Step-by-Step Guide to Setting up a Certificate Authority
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/
    windows2000serv/howto/smrtcard.mspx>

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP