Timing for a mid-range card buy

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
I'm looking to upgrade my Athlon 2800+ with a new video card. I'm using an aging Radeon 9500 Pro right now, and am looking at this Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO as a replacement based on my reading of the stickies in the forum here.

Is the price on this AGP card likely to drop beyond where it is now, or are we at a point where the AGP cards will simply not be stocked anymore?

I'm also interested in any threads, FAQs or tutorials regarding the overclocking of this card. I've never tried to overclock anything and I have health problems to boot, but it seems that unlocking 4 extra pipelines could boost performance significantly. If it isn't too hard, I'd be game to try it, perhaps with the help of a friend or something.

Thanks all,

Andy

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
Ooh, nice finds. I have nothing against a refurbished card.

Same question applies to these or any other suggestions that might come... Will prices likely drop for AGP cards, or will they simply disappear before that can happen?

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Most AGP cards actually cost significantly more than their PCI-E counterparts. AGP is a dying interface and is on it's last leg. If prices do drop, by the time it'd happen, the cards would be useless in gaming anyways. The next AGP card you buy should be your last.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Most AGP cards actually cost significantly more than their PCI-E counterparts. AGP is a dying interface and is on it's last leg. If prices do drop, by the time it'd happen, the cards would be useless in gaming anyways. The next AGP card you buy should be your last.
yes, that's the same case with pci video cards or pc133 memory for instance. they still exist, but are really hard to find.. and when you find it's expensive

pauldh

Illustrious
Honestly, I feel once ATI sells out of those, your price will climb. It will be a long time before you'll get an AGP card of that caliber for $120 again. A couple months ago those cards were rarely ever seen under $200.

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
Thanks for the advice.

The "refurb" carries with it the implication that something is wrong with the card. Is it just used but otherwise the same? I have nothing against buying used from a reliable source like ATI, but I just want to be sure.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
The refurb does come with a 1 year limited warranty. That's better than most other places. Like Pauldh said, you won't find another card of that calibur in that price range unless it's used or off eBay, which is about as good as used. I doubt you'll get a warrany of much from such.

Currently, those should be the only two AGP cards one should consider at this time when you factor in what you're getting for your money and they aren't going to last for long.

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
I ordered me up the 800 refurb. Great tip. Thanks everybody.

Here's a slightly related question...

I have a small hi-definition tv attached to my card, and use it as a dual monitor or for viewing DVDs sometimes. Unfortunately, there is a mild striping on the screen. My DVI cable is a 20 footer. Is that the problem, or is this something else? How can I fix it?

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Not sure. You might want to pose the question directly to Cleeve, Genetic Weapon or TheGreatGrapeApe (that's in alpha order, don't want to play favorites :wink: ).