Account won't stop locking up!! HELP!!!

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,
I have a 5 bad password policy set before accounts on my domain lock.
I've been an admin long enough to know that every now and then someone is
going to change their password and forget to change a process and their
account is going to lock. Okay, so now it's happened to me. I've had the
same psassword for over a month, been sitting at my desk all day working and
now I can't go 10 minutes without my account getting locked. What is the
BEST way to figure out where I'm getting locked at? I've looked through my
DC logs and all I see is a bunch of 538, 540 and 576's with my user ID and
oh, of course I see myself unlocking my account every 10 minutes... HELP!!!
Dan

There are a bunch of reasons that this can happen. Did this start occuring
right after you changed your password? If so, then here are some
possibilities:
1. There is a service running under your user name that is using your old
password.
2. There is a persistant mapped drive that is using your old password.

I can't think of any other examples right now, but hopefully those will
help...

"Dan" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a 5 bad password policy set before accounts on my domain lock.
> I've been an admin long enough to know that every now and then someone is
> going to change their password and forget to change a process and their
> account is going to lock. Okay, so now it's happened to me. I've had the
> same psassword for over a month, been sitting at my desk all day working and
> now I can't go 10 minutes without my account getting locked. What is the
> BEST way to figure out where I'm getting locked at? I've looked through my
> DC logs and all I see is a bunch of 538, 540 and 576's with my user ID and
> oh, of course I see myself unlocking my account every 10 minutes... HELP!!!
> Dan

This could also happen if you are logged into another machine with your old
password.

"Dan" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a 5 bad password policy set before accounts on my domain lock.
> I've been an admin long enough to know that every now and then someone is
> going to change their password and forget to change a process and their
> account is going to lock. Okay, so now it's happened to me. I've had the
> same psassword for over a month, been sitting at my desk all day working and
> now I can't go 10 minutes without my account getting locked. What is the
> BEST way to figure out where I'm getting locked at? I've looked through my
> DC logs and all I see is a bunch of 538, 540 and 576's with my user ID and
> oh, of course I see myself unlocking my account every 10 minutes... HELP!!!
> Dan

Down load the account lockout and management tools.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=7af2e69c-91f3-4e63-8629-b999adde0b9e

When this happens it is usually another machine with an old password still
authenticated.

After you download the tools I have found the greatest help is
EventCombMT.exe use the builtin searches and then Account Lockouts. This
will scour your Event logs on your dc's and create a text file.

Dan wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a 5 bad password policy set before accounts on my domain lock.
> I've been an admin long enough to know that every now and then someone is
> going to change their password and forget to change a process and their
> account is going to lock. Okay, so now it's happened to me. I've had the
> same psassword for over a month, been sitting at my desk all day working and
> now I can't go 10 minutes without my account getting locked. What is the
> BEST way to figure out where I'm getting locked at? I've looked through my
> DC logs and all I see is a bunch of 538, 540 and 576's with my user ID and
> oh, of course I see myself unlocking my account every 10 minutes... HELP!!!
> Dan

I saw this at my workplace where the server end up running out of licenses and
would cause accounts to be locked as soon as they were authenticated so if they
logged out and attempted to get back in later their account was already locked.

Dan

Did you perform a directory restore recently? Looks like one of your Dc's
may not be syncronising correctly, are PC's falling out also?. The lockout
tool will help from paul as a starting point.

Regards