apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I am getting ready to build my computer. most of the parts arrived today, except for the case and the floppy drive. I bought an OEM Seagate hard drive. I just noticed that it came with no documentation or software. Do I need a driver for this SETA drive. If so, where do I get one?
I am quite nervous that all of the parts will wind up as an expensive pile of junk. I do not want to start doing anything until the case arrives.
Thanks in advance to all of those that can lend a hand to a very nervous first time builder.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I think you meant SATA hard drive, and no you don't need any drivers for it. Windows XP (I'm assuming your using XP) has these drivers built in but you may have to install the bus drivers for what ever motherboard you have.

earnhardt2

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
When you build the computer, relax, take your time, and don't freak out if the computer does not work right after you build it. Usually a simple problem like a loose card or cable is the problem. The best advice I can provide to you is this: make sure you are careful about ESD, and don't force anything or push too hard on anything to get it to fit. Good luck on building your first computer, you will be fine.

MattC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
You may need to use a floppy disk during windows xp installation. If XP doesn't detect your HDD during installation, go to your mobo manufacturer's website and download the sata drivers. Read any instructions that come with them for making a floppy disk. During the first part of the graphical portion of xp installation, it will say (along the bottom bar) something like "Press F6 to load third party drivers". I think it's f6. The timing can be tricky, but patience will reward you.

The alternative is to do some research into slipstreaming and to burn a new copy of XP with those drivers built in. It's actually pretty easy, but I'd recommend doing this only if you don't have a floppy drive (xp cannot load drivers for SATA from anything but a floppy). This *may* have changed with more recently released copies of XP. I doubt it, though.

apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Thanks to all for your kind replies.
I have an Asus M2N-E board.
I looked on their website, and could not find SETA drivers. I also looked on the Seagate site and was not able to find one there either.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
As I said, don't worry about it until you have problems. 90% of the time both bios and windows will recognize your hard drive without additional drivers.

SETA is a bunch of nerds looking for martians....
SATA is an interface for connecting hard drives to your motherboard...

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Hi apprentice25,
I have an Asus M2N-E board.
This is a modern nForce mobo for AM2.
It supports both SATA2 harddisk and optical drive natively - no drivers, no F6 - just go!
I just did the build in my Sig, and it was painless, no floppy drive even - it boots from SATA CD or HD no problem, just like IDE :^)
Don't worry, you'll be fine - (just read the book) LoL
Regards