How to remove auto start program.

December 9, 2004 3:50:12 PM

I installed Magic e-map, on the PC when it finished I selected "Run and
exit", this closed the PC install and started the program on the Pocket PC
(Mobile 2003). My problem is now the program always starts whenever I turn
on my PPC. I've tried:
-uninstalling, and installing without running it.
-there's no link in the start menu.
-if I remove the software I get a message on power up that it can't find the
program.
-I can't find that path reference in the registery, so not sure where in the
system this setting is.
-a hard reset is not an option.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Donald Adams
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 3:50:13 PM

"Donald Adams" <BDA_2003@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I installed Magic e-map, on the PC when it finished I selected "Run and
> exit", this closed the PC install and started the program on the Pocket PC
> (Mobile 2003). My problem is now the program always starts whenever I
turn
> on my PPC. I've tried:
> -uninstalling, and installing without running it.
> -there's no link in the start menu.
> -if I remove the software I get a message on power up that it can't find
the
> program.
> -I can't find that path reference in the registery, so not sure where in
the
> system this setting is.
> -a hard reset is not an option.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Donald Adams

Did you look in the startup folder? That's how most programs on a soft
reset.
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 3:50:13 PM

"Donald Adams" <BDA_2003@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I installed Magic e-map, on the PC when it finished I selected "Run and
> exit", this closed the PC install and started the program on the Pocket PC
> (Mobile 2003). My problem is now the program always starts whenever I
> turn
> on my PPC. I've tried:
> -uninstalling, and installing without running it.
> -there's no link in the start menu.
> -if I remove the software I get a message on power up that it can't find
> the
> program.
> -I can't find that path reference in the registery, so not sure where in
> the
> system this setting is.
> -a hard reset is not an option.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

You don't specifically state it, but you did check the windows\startup
folder itself... A lot of the time a shortcut will be placed here.

Is it possible that the program is running in memory when you attempt to
uninstall it, and the uninstall is actually failing? If available, check
out the machine running a process viewer. If you have the development tools
Microsoft's remote process viewer does rather well.
December 9, 2004 8:24:39 PM

I have the same problem, i unstalled the program called eWallet but
everytime i start i get the "Cannot execute....." error - annoying.

I checked in the startup folder but there is nothing other than poutlook.

Can someone help is please

thank you
-arun

"Donald Adams" <BDA_2003@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I installed Magic e-map, on the PC when it finished I selected "Run and
> exit", this closed the PC install and started the program on the Pocket PC
> (Mobile 2003). My problem is now the program always starts whenever I
turn
> on my PPC. I've tried:
> -uninstalling, and installing without running it.
> -there's no link in the start menu.
> -if I remove the software I get a message on power up that it can't find
the
> program.
> -I can't find that path reference in the registery, so not sure where in
the
> system this setting is.
> -a hard reset is not an option.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Donald Adams

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 6:36:00 PM

When I said, "-there's no link in the start menu." I meant "Windows\Startup"
folder, sorry I wasn't clear on that point. I removed all my links from
that folder and tested, but still the same.
I have done soft resets, I'm sure that would remove any processes from
memory.
The uninstall was successful, ie. it didn't fail. It seems that the problem
is, the install didn't cleanup the instruction(whereever it is) to auto run
the program.

Donald Adams

> >I installed Magic e-map, on the PC when it finished I selected "Run and
> > exit", this closed the PC install and started the program on the Pocket
PC
> > (Mobile 2003). My problem is now the program always starts whenever I
> > turn
> > on my PPC. I've tried:
> > -uninstalling, and installing without running it.
> > -there's no link in the start menu.
> > -if I remove the software I get a message on power up that it can't find
> > the
> > program.
> > -I can't find that path reference in the registery, so not sure where in
> > the
> > system this setting is.
> > -a hard reset is not an option.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
> >

> You don't specifically state it, but you did check the windows\startup
> folder itself... A lot of the time a shortcut will be placed here.
>
> Is it possible that the program is running in memory when you attempt to
> uninstall it, and the uninstall is actually failing? If available, check
> out the machine running a process viewer. If you have the development
tools
> Microsoft's remote process viewer does rather well.

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 9:27:41 PM

Reply to message from "Donald Adams" <BDA_2003@hotmail.com> (Fri, 10 Dec
2004 03:36:00) about ""Re: How to remove auto start program."":

DA> When I said, "-there's no link in the start menu." I meant "Windows\
DA> Startup" folder, sorry I wasn't clear on that point. I removed all my
DA> links from that folder and tested, but still the same. I have done
DA> soft resets, I'm sure that would remove any processes from memory.
DA> The uninstall was successful, ie. it didn't fail. It seems that the
DA> problem is, the install didn't cleanup the instruction(whereever it
DA> is) to auto run the program.

DA> Donald Adams

I suspect that you have the same problem I had when I uninstalled a
keyboard driver - that that message is coming from the notification queue -
I used MemMaid, a program I already own, to get rid of it.

Don

Bye
Donald E. Stidwell <don.stidwell@nospam.net> Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:14:36 -
0400

===
Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 6:31:30 PM

Thanks, that was it. Also, I discovered I had 200+ duplicate notify enties.

Donald Adams

!