Problems Defragmenting After Windows XP Installed

I have been having a problem ever since I upgraded to
Windows XP from Windows ME. It seems that the first time
I defragmented, it took about 45 minutes. It has now
been almost a year and still takes at least a half an
hour to defragment. Should it be doing this because of
the upgrade or is their something I can do to fix this?

Janine
3 answers Last reply
More about problems defragmenting windows installed

    In news:3a3501c4aa58$83939df0$a401280a@phx.gbl,
    Janine <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    >I have been having a problem ever since I upgraded to
    > Windows XP from Windows ME. It seems that the first time
    > I defragmented, it took about 45 minutes. It has now
    > been almost a year and still takes at least a half an
    > hour to defragment. Should it be doing this because of
    > the upgrade or is their something I can do to fix this?

    Half an hour doesn't sound at all bad, and there is probably
    nothing to fix.

    Among the things that affect how long it takes to defrag are how
    much data you have on the drive and how badly fragmented it is.
    So there's no amount of time that anyone can tell you is
    "normal"; the right answer is "it depends."

    I wouldn't worry about it.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    That is not an unusual time. A much faster defragger is Diskeeper 8.0 or
    Diskeeper 8/0 Pro (for XP Pro) from Executive Software. It also has a
    boot-time defragger to sort out the directory structure for NTFS. This is
    useful for conversions to NTFS. Systems converted to NTFS from FAT32 run
    slower than systems installed with a full NTFS formatting (clean install)
    unless you run a defrag of the file structure.

    "Janine" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been having a problem ever since I upgraded to
    > Windows XP from Windows ME. It seems that the first time
    > I defragmented, it took about 45 minutes. It has now
    > been almost a year and still takes at least a half an
    > hour to defragment. Should it be doing this because of
    > the upgrade or is their something I can do to fix this?
    >
    > Janine

    Delete some of your temporary files.

    Andre
    "Janine" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been having a problem ever since I upgraded to
    > Windows XP from Windows ME. It seems that the first time
    > I defragmented, it took about 45 minutes. It has now
    > been almost a year and still takes at least a half an
    > hour to defragment. Should it be doing this because of
    > the upgrade or is their something I can do to fix this?
    >
    > Janine

Microsoft Windows XP