Sign in with
Your question

nforce 4 sli for intel edition

Last response: in CPUs
July 18, 2006 12:33:12 AM

Hello

i have the above chipset on my asus p5nd2 sli deluxe. I would like to try conroe when it is out. but i do not want to spend too much.

do you guys think that the above chipset will support conroe after some bios upgrade. I know it is not possible . but do you guys think Asus will support the cpu eventually?

Thank you.
July 18, 2006 12:44:09 AM

No, you would need an nForce5 motherboard, the nForce4 chipset just is'nt compatible.

Check out This list of "Conroe Ready" motherboards.

So you're stuck with Netburst, STBU :?
July 18, 2006 12:58:59 AM

It's not that the nForce 4 chipset isn't Conroe compatible, it is, and there are nForce 4 Conroe motherboards. It's that your motherboard's voltage regulators don't meet Conroe spec. This is the same reason why older i975 chipset motherboards don't support Conroe either.

As SidVicious said, you're limited to Netburst unless you physically try to modify your motherboard. I wouldn't recommend it though if you're not experienced. I'm not either. I don't know what specs you have now, but a 945D is coming out soon and at 3.4GHz and $163 it's still a pretty good deal. Slower than the E6300, but cheaper ($20) too.
Related resources
July 18, 2006 1:18:04 AM

Well, considering that C2D compatibility just was'nt a part of the nForce4 chipset specs, what makes you think that physically modifying his motherboard would magically allow it to run a Conroe CPU ?

There is more to it than VRMs, even the BIOS code itself would have to be modified in order to allow that CPU to run.
July 18, 2006 2:41:01 AM

Well C2D compatibility wasn't exactly part of i975x spec either. I think the major requirement is really 1066MHz FSB support. In terms of BIOS support, I suppose that would be required too although it might still work just it doesn't fully recognize so their may be a performance or feature drop.

Even in the link you provided MSI provides C2D support in their P4N SLI V2.0. nVidia's website saids that C2D is supported in nForce4 SLI X16 and Ultra.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce4_intel_cpu_support....

The regular nForce4 SLI doesn't claim C2D support, but you never know because that list said that Cedar Mills aren't supported either, but ASUS saids they are, all they way up to C1 stepping.
July 18, 2006 3:16:21 AM

Quote:
Well C2D compatibility wasn't exactly part of i975x spec either. I think the major requirement is really 1066MHz FSB support. In terms of BIOS support, I suppose that would be required too although it might still work just it doesn't fully recognize so their may be a performance or feature drop.

Even in the link you provided MSI provides C2D support in their P4N SLI V2.0. nVidia's website saids that C2D is supported in nForce4 SLI X16 and Ultra.

The regular nForce4 SLI doesn't claim C2D support, but you never know because that list said that Cedar Mills aren't supported either, but ASUS saids they are, all they way up to C1 stepping.

Hello

It would be nice if my motherboard can support conroe. It does support 1066 MHZ FSB.

I can buy another board unless i can use the old board . it is not the end of the world.

Thank you for your response.

Thura.
July 18, 2006 4:06:42 AM

As far as I can tell, your motherboard can't support Conroe. Your board also doesn't officially support Presler either so the 945D I previously suggested also won't work. (The lack of Presler support is strange because you board does support the 65nm single core Cedar Mill 6x1s).

Anyways, if you want Conroe you're going to have to get a new motherboard. It would be for the best anyways, since the original nForce4 SLI (2 PCIe 8x) is getting a bit old now and would have limited Conroe anyway due to the memory controller. If you are looking to keep SLI support the nForce5 is the way to go. Crossfire would require the i975X or yet to be released motherboards based on ATI's RD600. If you don't need either, motherboards based on the new P965 chipset are a good choice for the price. I would hold out a few weeks though, until they clear up the issue of whether P965 chipsets can install Windows from their IDE ports.
July 18, 2006 4:41:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:
P4N SLI V2.0 - nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition - ATX - Not available

That motherboard has yet to hit the market which pretty much a requirement for a would-be modder, without a template, it is almost impossible to figure how unlock features in a motherboard.

Incompatible motherboards could very well be a big problem for the C2D launch when you consider the loops and holes a user has to jump through in order to find compatible (or moddable) one.

For example, most local stores here in Montréal (Canadakistan) don't discriminate between "Conroe Ready" and "STBU, Stuck with Netburst" mobos, this is quite a letdown for the industry leader when the opposing team got very clear cut CPU support guidelines, it fit the socket or it doesn't.
July 18, 2006 4:51:38 AM

It just goes to the irony that all current motherboards have been overdesigned to run Netburst and overclock it without problems, but can't handle the little power sips that Conroe takes. Bigger obviously isn't always better.

The problem is the slow appearance of P965 motherboards and the fact that G965, Q965, and Q963 motherboards haven't even launched yet. That's why Intel's policy is usually to never do a double transition, but this time they've decided to debug a new chipset and transition production from 130nm 200mm wafers to 90nm 300mm wafers at the same time. Without mainstream Intel boards you've got a huge gap in most of the market.

On a side note, I thought I should point out that BIOS support isn't always necessary.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

Here the BIOS doesn't support Kentsfield, but it works just fine. You just can't overclock FSB.
!