AD help "the target prinicpal name is incorrect"

Hi Folks , Im hoping osmeone can get me out of this jam. I have a win2k
advanced server I went to click on active directory users and computers and
got the the message above. "the target principal name is incorrect" I tried a
couple of Win utils with no luck when I try a dcdiag I get "LDAP bind failed
error 31" "the device attahced to the system is not functioning" I dont know
what device its refering to. The only thing that was done prior to this
happening that I could think of was I tried to do a backup to NAS win 2003
server unsuccessfully. FYI, this is the only domain controller on the
network. Thanks in advance for all help this is killing me!

TT

This behavior is symptomatic of a broken secure channel between the local
computer and its domain controller.

To fix the problem:

1. Open a CMD.EXE prompt.

2. Type the following commands, pressing Enter after is one:

nltest /SC_CHANGE_PWD:<DomainName>
netdom reset <ComputerName> /domain:<DomainName>

This was taken directly from here:
http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBP/tip7700/rh7767.htm

"TTRAV" wrote:
> Hi Folks , Im hoping osmeone can get me out of this jam. I
> have a win2k
> advanced server I went to click on active directory users and
> computers and
> got the the message above. "the target principal name is
> incorrect" I tried a
> couple of Win utils with no luck when I try a dcdiag I get
> "LDAP bind failed
> error 31" "the device attahced to the system is not
> functioning" I dont know
> what device its refering to. The only thing that was done
> prior to this
> happening that I could think of was I tried to do a backup to
> NAS win 2003
> server unsuccessfully. FYI, this is the only domain controller
> on the
> network. Thanks in advance for all help this is killing me!
>
> TT

Hi,

Can you install the adminpak.msi tools on your Client workstation and
access AD that way? If so then AD is fine and it is just the tools.

You can try reinstalling them. I have also found that a restart also
helps in these situations. However, restarting a server is a bit
tricky waiting for downtime.

You need to check the DNS and make sure that the DNS IP of the DC is
there and everything is OK.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-AD-help-quot-target-prinicpal-incorrect-quot-ftopict543024.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1712576

Thanks lara for the reply but Im trying to do this right from the server not
a client. when I go to active directory right from the server console I get
this message Also dns seems to be ok as far as I know.

TT

"lforbes" wrote:

> "TTRAV" wrote:
> > Hi Folks , Im hoping osmeone can get me out of this jam. I
> > have a win2k
> > advanced server I went to click on active directory users and
> > computers and
> > got the the message above. "the target principal name is
> > incorrect" I tried a
> > couple of Win utils with no luck when I try a dcdiag I get
> > "LDAP bind failed
> > error 31" "the device attahced to the system is not
> > functioning" I dont know
> > what device its refering to. The only thing that was done
> > prior to this
> > happening that I could think of was I tried to do a backup to
> > NAS win 2003
> > server unsuccessfully. FYI, this is the only domain controller
> > on the
> > network. Thanks in advance for all help this is killing me!
> >
> > TT
>
> Hi,
>
> Can you install the adminpak.msi tools on your Client workstation and
> access AD that way? If so then AD is fine and it is just the tools.
>
> You can try reinstalling them. I have also found that a restart also
> helps in these situations. However, restarting a server is a bit
> tricky waiting for downtime.
>
> You need to check the DNS and make sure that the DNS IP of the DC is
> there and everything is OK.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lara

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-AD-help-quot-target-prinicpal-incorrect-quot-ftopict543024.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1712576

you need to reset the machines secure channel with another DC.

NETDOM RESETPWD /Server:domain-controller /UserD:user /PasswordD:[password |
*]

Did you recently restore an AD object in directory services restore mode?

Regards

"TTRAV" wrote:

> Thanks lara for the reply but Im trying to do this right from the server not
> a client. when I go to active directory right from the server console I get
> this message Also dns seems to be ok as far as I know.
>
> TT
>
> "lforbes" wrote:
>
> > "TTRAV" wrote:
> > > Hi Folks , Im hoping osmeone can get me out of this jam. I
> > > have a win2k
> > > advanced server I went to click on active directory users and
> > > computers and
> > > got the the message above. "the target principal name is
> > > incorrect" I tried a
> > > couple of Win utils with no luck when I try a dcdiag I get
> > > "LDAP bind failed
> > > error 31" "the device attahced to the system is not
> > > functioning" I dont know
> > > what device its refering to. The only thing that was done
> > > prior to this
> > > happening that I could think of was I tried to do a backup to
> > > NAS win 2003
> > > server unsuccessfully. FYI, this is the only domain controller
> > > on the
> > > network. Thanks in advance for all help this is killing me!
> > >
> > > TT
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can you install the adminpak.msi tools on your Client workstation and
> > access AD that way? If so then AD is fine and it is just the tools.
> >
> > You can try reinstalling them. I have also found that a restart also
> > helps in these situations. However, restarting a server is a bit
> > tricky waiting for downtime.
> >
> > You need to check the DNS and make sure that the DNS IP of the DC is
> > there and everything is OK.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Lara
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-AD-help-quot-target-prinicpal-incorrect-quot-ftopict543024.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1712576

>Thanks lara for the reply but Im trying to do this right from the
>server not a client. when I go to active directory right from the
>server console I get this message Also dns seems to be ok as far as I
>know.

Hi,

Actually I meant it to just test. There could be two problems here:
1> AD is hooped and you need a complete reinstall OR
2> The tools are just hooped in this case you are able to connect via
a client.

Have you tried reinstalling the adminpak.msi from
C:\Windows\system32?

I had an issue on one of my DC’s and reinstalling the tools and
restarting fixed the problem.

Cheers,

Lara

TRENDING THREADS