DNS Question on NT4 to AD upgrade

Hello Everyone,

I have a question on the best way to get DNS up and running for a Windows
NT domain to Active Directory upgrade.

The current NT domain is running on a PDC/BDC pair of servers, and I'm to
replace the PDC with a newer server. This PDC is already running DHCP
and WINS. I've got a server being delivered that is coming with Windows
2000, and will be rotated in during the upgrade to replace the PDC after
the upgrade, but I need to upgrade the NT domain to AD before shifting
the root to the new server.

The question is... What is the recommended, and easiest, way to upgrade
the DHCP, the WINS and add DNS during the upgrade? Should I leave the
DHCP and WINS on the current server, upgrade it to AD, then move the
upgraded DHCP, WINS and AD-integrated DNS to the new server after
DCPROMO'ing it...or should I move the DHCP and WINS to the new server,
install DNS and configure it as a standard primary zone on the 2000 box,
upgrade the NT box to AD and have it use the DNS for the upgrade, then
make the new server the root and update the DNS to AD-integrated?

I know I have to move the FSMO roles and GC from the upgraded PDC to the
new 2000 server in order to decommission the old server, but want to make
the upgrade as painless as possible.

Thanks.

----------

Mark L. Woods
Saint Louis, MO USA
3 answers Last reply
More about question upgrade

    Who said you had to upgrade the current PDC :-)?

    Do the following

    Install a new BDC in your NT environment on your new server. Promote it to
    become the PDC> then upgrade it the windows 2003 active directory.

    Secondly do you really need WINS? You only require it if you have downlevel
    clients from windows NT > Win 9x. DHCP should upgrade easily but you have to
    upgrade to win 2k then win 2k3 if your going the WIN 2k3 route. But as a
    precaution back up the databases of WINS and DHCP, and the registry keys and
    values for both services.
    HKLM\System\currentcontrolset\services\wins and dhcp respectively.

    Regards
    Stephen

    "Mark Woods" wrote:

    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I have a question on the best way to get DNS up and running for a Windows
    > NT domain to Active Directory upgrade.
    >
    > The current NT domain is running on a PDC/BDC pair of servers, and I'm to
    > replace the PDC with a newer server. This PDC is already running DHCP
    > and WINS. I've got a server being delivered that is coming with Windows
    > 2000, and will be rotated in during the upgrade to replace the PDC after
    > the upgrade, but I need to upgrade the NT domain to AD before shifting
    > the root to the new server.
    >
    > The question is... What is the recommended, and easiest, way to upgrade
    > the DHCP, the WINS and add DNS during the upgrade? Should I leave the
    > DHCP and WINS on the current server, upgrade it to AD, then move the
    > upgraded DHCP, WINS and AD-integrated DNS to the new server after
    > DCPROMO'ing it...or should I move the DHCP and WINS to the new server,
    > install DNS and configure it as a standard primary zone on the 2000 box,
    > upgrade the NT box to AD and have it use the DNS for the upgrade, then
    > make the new server the root and update the DNS to AD-integrated?
    >
    > I know I have to move the FSMO roles and GC from the upgraded PDC to the
    > new 2000 server in order to decommission the old server, but want to make
    > the upgrade as painless as possible.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > ----------
    >
    > Mark L. Woods
    > Saint Louis, MO USA

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhlIEFEIERlc2lnbmVy?=
    <TheADDesigner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Who said you had to upgrade the current PDC :-)?

    My boss, the IT Operations Manager for the company. The current PDC is
    the server that is being replaced in this switcheroo. Everything that is
    on it...file shares, printers, WINS, DHCP have to be moved in one way or
    another to the new server, along with upgrading the site's NT domain to
    Windows 2000 Active Directory and the new server becoming the root of the
    forest/domain for the site.

    > Do the following
    >
    > Install a new BDC in your NT environment on your new server. Promote
    > it to become the PDC> then upgrade it the windows 2003 active
    > directory.

    Won't work. The new server is a Dell PowerEdge 2850, and Dell doesn't
    support or provide installation assistance with Windows NT 4.0 on this
    model. It is being shipped pre-loaded with Windows 2000, and we do not
    want to wipe it to install a previous OS version, just to re-install W2K
    on it again.

    > Secondly do you really need WINS? You only require it if you have
    > downlevel clients from windows NT > Win 9x. DHCP should upgrade easily
    > but you have to upgrade to win 2k then win 2k3 if your going the WIN
    > 2k3 route. But as a precaution back up the databases of WINS and DHCP,
    > and the registry keys and values for both services.
    > HKLM\System\currentcontrolset\services\wins and dhcp respectively.

    Yes, WINS is a requirement. This site still has quite a few Win9x
    computers, and some of our production applications require NetBIOS to
    communicate, as well as each of our production sites is an individual
    domain/AD forest with trusts between the forests, which require NetBIOS
    for authentication...and don't comment about that. That was an IT
    management decision, not my decision.

    So, the question remains...should I move the WINS, DHCP from NT 4.0 to
    Windows 2000 and install DNS on Windows 2000...THEN upgrade the NT 4.0
    PDC to Windows 2000/Active Directory, promote the new Windows 2000
    server, and reconfigure DNS for AD-integrated, then move the GC and FSMO
    roles...or should I leave WINS and DHCP on the current PDC, upgrade it to
    Windows 2000 (with installing DNS), then move DNS, WINS, DHCP, GC and
    FSMO roles after the upgrade?

    --
    ----------

    Mark L. Woods
    Saint Louis, MO USA

    Mark

    With the dell you can install NT4.0 it is just is not supported by dell.
    This is to with the perc driver.

    Move all your services over first to the Windows 2000 box (what other option
    do you have?). Then perform your upgrade on the NT 4.0 Machine although this
    is the long way round. With DHCP install the new scope on the win 2k box and
    move any reservations you have for printers etc. Install WINS and replicate
    with your existing WINS Server and make sure your downward clients are
    pointing to the new WINS server on the first dhcp scope. Updat eall server
    setting to reflect the new scope, after turn off replciation once all clients
    and severs are using the new WINS Server.

    Moving the scope can be tricky as all clients will need to perform a
    ipconfig release && ipconfig /renew or a reboot may be necessary.

    I hope this helps.

Servers DNS Active Directory Windows