• Yes

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 88.2%

• Total voters

kingofnoobs

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
I am new to the whole build your PC biz (i have tried building one before but ulimately it was already obselete) so now im build one that is sure to be future proof here's what i got.

Note: this includes EVERYTHING from motherboard to montior

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814102003
Video Card: Price: $359.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145566
Ram X2: Price: $208

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813127004
Motherboard: Price: $159.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16836121123
Speakers: Price: $32.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817103931
Power Supply: Price: $89.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16824116375
Montior: Price: $259.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811119047
Case: Price: $49.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16827151133
Optical Drive: $34.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822144392
Hard Drive: Price: $99.99

Processor: Core 2 Duo E6600: Price: $316

Total: $1,620.92

Please tell me if this is a good future proof, good to last at least 5 years setup.

kingofnoobs

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
exactly what i was going to do. I figured that this is future proof and when i need more power just add a few more parts. I think going SLI will make this setup even better though.

And yes i need to go to DDR2 800, since thats what you guys think i should do

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
In 5 years, Nehalem will be the new CPU to beat.

Things move so quick in computers these days, that there's no 5 year machine. Expect to have to upgrade your video card in the next 1-2 years.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
exactly what i was going to do. I figured that this is future proof and when i need more power just add a few more parts. I think going SLI will make this setup even better though.

Unless you want to play games on max resolution on 21" LCDs at 1920x1200, do not fall for the hype of SLI. It is just not worth it. If you must go SLI at least get the 7950 and do it on one card.

kingofnoobs

Distinguished
May 28, 2006

Unless you want to play games on max resolution on 21" LCDs at 1920x1200, do not fall for the hype of SLI. It is just not worth it. If you must go SLI at least get the 7950 and do it on one card.

good point then the LCD Montior i got is only 1280 X 1024 Max, which personally is good enough for me. So i should just stick with the X1900XTX?

Also

I updated the Ram

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
If you have the money, why worry about futureproofing? :lol:

I'm built my third rig five and a half years after my first. There's always some head slapping going on afterwards, but you can always upgrade or just wait until your next rig.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Any computer can last more than 5 years, it depends on what tasks you do. Also, there's no futureproof rig. You can crap out $5000 now, and in 6 months, have outdates parts, that's how it is.

The current setup might last 2 years tops if you're a gamer. You do have a pretty good upgrade path, so you can replace the video card, add more RAM etc.

Well said! Most don't see it this way, but the PC as we know it has become like car. There is and will always be regular services and upgrades that will cost labor and money. Sometimes it's something small like more ram or new video, or a migration to a new technology platform.

CannedTurkey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Even at that resolution you'll probably be happier with the 7950 GX2. I haven't been able to find a direct comparison between the two cards, but from what I have found it looks like the 7950 GX2 outperforms the x1900xtx and I believe it may even be a bit cheaper. (YMMV)

newtist

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
ummmmm no..... an x1900xtx will run like....what 400-500 where as a 7950 gx2 will be around 600.....besides, y would u think that a card that has "double" the memory would be less expensive???? i would say for the one who started the post, go with an nvidia for sure. they r always on top of new drivers and stuff like that. ati's heat up like a b*tch from what ive heard. and also go with a different motherboard. one that actually has reviews and can be researched to be a good mobo, like any of the asus mobo's or the couple of gigabyte ones that r out. more will be out for conroe once its released. i also agree with the one who said to get a bigger power supply. its always good to have more wattage.

biohazard420420

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Honestly if your building the Ultimate Pc you aren't spending much. Granted thats way more that I could spend on one but, I would go with the core2 extreme or a Xeon, 4GB of the fastest ram you can find, 2 or 4 400GB hdd in a raid array, a 30" flat panel from dell or apple and a good nVidia SLI set up. I mean no offence but if your going for the ultimate pc then spend the big bucks. If you can that is. LOL I need to upgrade mine but im only spending a measly 600 or so bucks. Only on a mobo, cpu and ram and maybe hdd though. If you reall have money to burn go get a top of the line Alienware or Falcon Northwest system.

newtist

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
o where to start.....first off...the term "ultimate" is loosely defined and is different from person to person. second, i dont think he has a 5,000 budget for the computer u just said. the 30" monitors r like $2100-2300 each not to mention 4gb of ram is way overkill right now anyways. raid is merely a preference and has the huge drawback of u know...one drive going and ALL is lost and besides...show me someone would could fill 1.6 TB for normal/gaming/editing/WHATEVER use...hell even the 800gb is extreme overkill. core2 extreme is also $1000 so thats 3,000 just from monitor and processor alone. and as for the last line.....the whole "top of the line alienware or falcon nw system" u pay for the NAME...thats all. u pay $3500+ just for the name and for the right to say that u chickened out and couldnt build it urself. u can get the parts for in the $2000-2500 range from newegg..granted u will have to build it urself...but thats the fun part right? lol

biohazard420420

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I agree Newtist, but when you say ultimate pc at least to me that means your going to be spending the big bucks. And if you use I belive its either a raid 1 or raid 2 array you can get striping and mirroring so you have more of a saftey net as far as failure goes. And with in a year or 2 I could probally come about half way to filling 1.6 TB. Hell I filled a 160 GB drive with just music in 6 months. But I do have to disagree though you can never have to much ram. Granted you may not be using it all the time but at least you have it on the odd chance you do need it. LOL I have always been in the camp that you can never have enough ram or storage. Granted for the normal person (non gamer) anything much over 100 GB hard drive space is overkill but come on if you could afford it wouldn't you just love to have over a TB of hard drive space.

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
- First, it's not my concept of the "Ultimate PC". :wink:
- Second, you should get a 2x 1 GB kit, DDR2-800 (if you can), to get the most of it.
- Third, I had some not pleasant experiences with Samsung optical drives. Be careful with that.

About everything else, I think it's fine. :D

The longevity depends on how much you demand from your PC.

One thing I can safely say is if you are an avid gamer, the X1900XT will not last you 5 years. Within 3 years it will be a runt. No joke. My 9800Pro was top of the line back in 2003, look where it is now.

I too expect to build a new PC around the E6600 and most likely a X1900XT too. I only expect it to last me 3 or 4 years. Actually, I expect to upgrade the CPU when the 45nm Conroes are available. The E6600 will be transplanted to my HTPC which is currently using an Athlon XP 2500+.

kingofnoobs

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
Isnt that a bad example? Cant you play all the lastest games? Just not highest settings? And if i ever need better ram 3 years from now, that can been done, same with everything else.

what i meant by last 5 years is how long it will last until i need a total rebuild.

Isnt that a bad example? Cant you play all the lastest games? Just not highest settings? And if i ever need better ram 3 years from now, that can been done, same with everything else.

what i meant by last 5 years is how long it will last until i need a total rebuild.

Nope because I said:

The longevity depends on how much you demand from your PC.

I don't really play that many games, but the games I do play I want to play at high or very high settings. The 9800Pro doesn't cut it anymore. Seriously it doesn't. Oblivion is the next game I want to play, but I'm not going to do so until after I build my next system.

Okay, if you mean 5 years before every single component is to be replaced then it's possible. But within 3 years you'll probably be thinking about upgrading your video card. 1 GB of RAM is pretty good for Windows XP. 2 GB isn't absolutely necessary, but when you decide to upgrade to Windows Vista 2 GB is recommended.

My current system is 4 years old. I was going to upgrade it earlier this year, but after reading about both Conroe and AM2, I decided to bite the bullet and hold off my build. Thus, postpone playing Oblivion since I don't want to play it on low to medium settings.