Canon IP5000 or IP8500?

Since I'm testing the iP5000 -- and reading up on the later models -- I'm
thinking: maybe I should get the iP8500? Is it the top of the line Pixma?

Is it better than the iP5000? If so, in what way, or in which specific
areas? Worth getting instead of the iP5000? Any downsides?

Many thanks for your input
Sarah

Sarah Feliz wrote:

>Since I'm testing the iP5000 -- and reading up on the later models -- I'm
>thinking: maybe I should get the iP8500? Is it the top of the line Pixma?

Yes for narrow carriage. It has the same print engine as the wide
format i9900. These two printers are the flagship of the Canon line.

>Is it better than the iP5000?

Better for photos. It is a pure photo printer. The IP5000 would be
better for non-photo work.

>If so, in what way, or in which specific
>areas? Worth getting instead of the iP5000? Any downsides?

Like a higher powered car you will burn more ink. There are 2
additional light load inks. Since there is not a pigmented black ink
the printer will mix its own black when required using up individual colors.

>Many thanks for your input
>Sarah

BURT

Since I do not have the IP 8500 I can not speak with great authority - I am
using a Canon i960 (six color printer) which, in my estimation, makes
beautiful prints. If the IP 8500 is like other 8 color printers in the
Canon line it does have dye-based black and does not have to mix colors to
create black. My six color printer has black, yellow, cyan, photo cyan
(less dye load), magenta, and photo magenta. The eight color printers add
red and green, reputed to create more vivid red and green on your prints. I
would venture a guess that all inkjet printers, when printing black, use
mostly ink from the black tank, but there is probably a trace of some colors
used as well.

> Sarah Feliz wrote:
>
>>Since I'm testing the iP5000 -- and reading up on the later models -- I'm
>>thinking: maybe I should get the iP8500? Is it the top of the line Pixma?
>>
> Yes for narrow carriage. It has the same print engine as the wide format
> i9900. These two printers are the flagship of the Canon line.
>
>>Is it better than the iP5000?
> Better for photos. It is a pure photo printer. The IP5000 would be
> better for non-photo work.
>
>>If so, in what way, or in which specific
>>areas? Worth getting instead of the iP5000? Any downsides?
>>

> Like a higher powered car you will burn more ink. There are 2 additional
> light load inks. Since there is not a pigmented black ink the printer
> will mix its own black when required using up individual colors.
>
>>Many thanks for your input
>>Sarah

All I can say Sarah is that I have recently purchased the iP 8500 printer.
It is a superb printer. I frequently print A4 size landscape photographs
from my digital camera and scanned 35mm slides. The resulting A4 prints are
better than what you would get from quickie type film printing services. It
paid for itself from developing all our relative's digital photos from our
daughter's recent wedding. You will have no regrets purchasing the iP 8500.

P.S. Be careful buying non canon ink refills. I did that and the results
were aweful. I isolated the problem down to the photo cyan and photo
magnenta non canon ink cartridges.

Hope this helps you in your choice.

Cheers

Ron from Downunder.

wazzad wrote:

>All I can say Sarah is that I have recently purchased the iP 8500 printer.
>It is a superb printer. I frequently print A4 size landscape photographs
>from my digital camera and scanned 35mm slides. The resulting A4 prints are
>better than what you would get from quickie type film printing services. It
>paid for itself from developing all our relative's digital photos from our
>daughter's recent wedding. You will have no regrets purchasing the iP 8500.
>
>P.S. Be careful buying non canon ink refills. I did that and the results
>were aweful. I isolated the problem down to the photo cyan and photo
>magnenta non canon ink cartridges.

Where did you get the bad aftermarket ink from?

>Hope this helps you in your choice.
>
>Cheers
>
>Ron from Downunder.
>
>"Sarah Feliz" <sfeliz@nada.com> wrote in message
>

>>Since I'm testing the iP5000 -- and reading up on the later models -- I'm
>>thinking: maybe I should get the iP8500? Is it the top of the line Pixma?
>>
>>Is it better than the iP5000? If so, in what way, or in which specific
>>areas? Worth getting instead of the iP5000? Any downsides?
>>
>>Many thanks for your input
>>Sarah

Measekite I purchased my ink refill cartridges from one of the supposedly
better ink cartridge refiller franchise stores. My bad experience with the
colour reproduction was enough to make me dip into my pockets for the
genuine canon ink cartridges and throw the ink refill cartridges in the bin,
where they belonged. Over here in Australia there are many ink refillers,
but my experiences have not been any good with any of them. Hope this helps.

Cheers mate

Ron from Downunder.

> wazzad wrote:
>
> >All I can say Sarah is that I have recently purchased the iP 8500
printer.
> >It is a superb printer. I frequently print A4 size landscape photographs
> >from my digital camera and scanned 35mm slides. The resulting A4 prints
are
> >better than what you would get from quickie type film printing services.
It
> >paid for itself from developing all our relative's digital photos from
our
> >daughter's recent wedding. You will have no regrets purchasing the iP
8500.

> >P.S. Be careful buying non canon ink refills. I did that and the results
> >were aweful. I isolated the problem down to the photo cyan and photo
> >magnenta non canon ink cartridges.
> >

> Where did you get the bad aftermarket ink from?
>
> >Hope this helps you in your choice.
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >Ron from Downunder.
> >
> >"Sarah Feliz" <sfeliz@nada.com> wrote in message
> >

> >>Since I'm testing the iP5000 -- and reading up on the later models --
I'm
> >>thinking: maybe I should get the iP8500? Is it the top of the line
Pixma?

> >>Is it better than the iP5000? If so, in what way, or in which specific
> >>areas? Worth getting instead of the iP5000? Any downsides?
> >>
> >>Many thanks for your input
> >>Sarah

Ink refillers, who take your cartridge and re"charge" it, are a
different breed of ink vendor than 3rd party ink sellers, in general,
although some do both.

I have seen some major problems with refilling, although I am not sure
it all can fall on the shoulders of the refillers themselves. The
cartridges may be quite old, may have numerous formulations of ink
passing through they or mixed within them. They may be incorrectly
refilled, etc.

I'm sure many are fine, but for accurate and repeatable color, OEM or
pre-packaged 3rd party are probably best.

Art

wazzad wrote:

> Measekite I purchased my ink refill cartridges from one of the supposedly
> better ink cartridge refiller franchise stores. My bad experience with the
> colour reproduction was enough to make me dip into my pockets for the
> genuine canon ink cartridges and throw the ink refill cartridges in the bin,
> where they belonged. Over here in Australia there are many ink refillers,
> but my experiences have not been any good with any of them. Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers mate
>
> Ron from Downunder.
>

> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>wazzad wrote:
>>

>>>All I can say Sarah is that I have recently purchased the iP 8500
>
> printer.
>
>>>It is a superb printer. I frequently print A4 size landscape photographs
>>
>>>from my digital camera and scanned 35mm slides. The resulting A4 prints
>
> are
>
>>>better than what you would get from quickie type film printing services.
>
> It
>
>>>paid for itself from developing all our relative's digital photos from
>
> our
>
>>>daughter's recent wedding. You will have no regrets purchasing the iP
>
> 8500.
>
>>>P.S. Be careful buying non canon ink refills. I did that and the results
>>>were aweful. I isolated the problem down to the photo cyan and photo
>>>magnenta non canon ink cartridges.
>>>

>>Where did you get the bad aftermarket ink from?
>>

>>>Hope this helps you in your choice.
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>
>>>Ron from Downunder.
>>>
>>>"Sarah Feliz" <sfeliz@nada.com> wrote in message

> I'm

> Pixma?

This is an example of what I have been professing on this NG for quite
some time but the members of the AfterMarket Club keep defending these
types of resellers.

Do you happen to know the actual mfg/formulator of the junkie refills
you tossed?

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Ink refillers, who take your cartridge and re"charge" it, are a
> different breed of ink vendor than 3rd party ink sellers, in general,
> although some do both.

They may target a different audience but they get their raw materials
from the same places the "aftermarket" vendors get theirs from.

> I have seen some major problems with refilling, although I am not sure
> it all can fall on the shoulders of the refillers themselves. The
> cartridges may be quite old, may have numerous formulations of ink
> passing through they or mixed within them. They may be incorrectly
> refilled, etc.
>
> I'm sure many are fine, but for accurate and repeatable color, OEM or
> pre-packaged 3rd party are probably best.
>
> Art
>
> wazzad wrote:
>
>> Measekite I purchased my ink refill cartridges from one of the
>> supposedly
>> better ink cartridge refiller franchise stores. My bad experience
>> with the
>> colour reproduction was enough to make me dip into my pockets for the
>> genuine canon ink cartridges and throw the ink refill cartridges in
>> the bin,
>> where they belonged. Over here in Australia there are many ink
>> refillers,
>> but my experiences have not been any good with any of them. Hope this
>> helps.
>>
>> Cheers mate
>>
>> Ron from Downunder.
>>

>> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> printer.

>> are

>> It

>> our

>> 8500.

>>> Where did you get the bad aftermarket ink from?

>> I'm

>> Pixma?

BURT

> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> Ink refillers, who take your cartridge and re"charge" it, are a different
>> breed of ink vendor than 3rd party ink sellers, in general, although some
>> do both.
>

> They may target a different audience but they get their raw materials from
> the same places the "aftermarket" vendors get theirs from.
(snip)

Perhaps you missed Arthur's point - Refilling firms collect used cartridges,
refill them, and sell them. They don't know how many times a cart has been
refilled, what inks have been through them, or what the state of the sponge
and exit port filter (BCI 6) are. Successful refilling by home or business
users requires that the cartridge is not fully emptied before trying to
refill, that it isn't permitted to dry out once removed from the printer,
and that predictably good inks are used. Third party vendors of filled
cartridges use newly manufactured carts, and reliable vendors fill them with
reliable inks. Some vendors have been in business for many years and their
products have proven to be reliable, as reported by users of their products.

Burt wrote:

>>Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>

>>>Ink refillers, who take your cartridge and re"charge" it, are a different
>>>breed of ink vendor than 3rd party ink sellers, in general, although some
>>>do both.
>>>

>>They may target a different audience but they get their raw materials from
>>the same places the "aftermarket" vendors get theirs from.
>>

>(snip)
>
>Perhaps you missed Arthur's point - Refilling firms collect used cartridges,
>refill them, and sell them.

When referring to raw materials (not parts or carts themselves) I was
referring to ink. Last I heard is that aftermarket resellers sell ink
either in bottles or prefilled in carts.

>They don't know how many times a cart has been
>refilled, what inks have been through them, or what the state of the sponge
>and exit port filter (BCI 6) are. Successful refilling by home or business
>users requires that the cartridge is not fully emptied before trying to
>refill, that it isn't permitted to dry out once removed from the printer,
>and that predictably good inks are used. Third party vendors of filled
>cartridges use newly manufactured carts, and reliable vendors fill them with
>reliable inks.

There really is a mix. You may have some reliable vendors filling with
reliable inks. You may have unreliable vendors filling with reliable
inks. You also may have unreliable vendors filling with unreliable ink.

>Some vendors have been in business for many years and their
>products have proven to be reliable,

It is very easy for them to accept a new deal (far lower price) from
someone and just continue on with selling under their store label and
fool the public for a while.

>as reported by users of their products.

BURT

I'm afraid I didn't explain myself well enough for you to understand -
Companies who take in used carts and refill them appear to be the problem.
They would have a greater possibility of selling a cart that does not
function properly than someone who purchases new third party carts filled
with aftermarket inks. No need to buy refilled canon BCI3 or BCI6 carts as
there are many vendors who sell prefilled NEW third party carts and bulk
inks. The most successful refilling at home is done in OEM carts after one
uses the OEM ink. The least successful seems to be with some of the
"improved" third party carts that are designed much differently from the OEM
carts.

As I understand it, no one can mfg a third party HP cart and so the only
third party filled carts are OEM carts that have been refilled. Some people
who do their own refilling with HP carts report success, but I have read
that the process is very technique sensitive. Most important is to not run
the tank empty before refilling.

As Arthur has said reliable vendors who have been in business for many years
realize that it is in their best interest to NOT switch to an inferior
product as they, like most businesses, value repeat business and good PR
from satisfied customers.

Burt wrote:

>I'm afraid I didn't explain myself well enough for you to understand -
>Companies who take in used carts and refill them appear to be the problem.
>They would have a greater possibility of selling a cart that does not
>function properly than someone who purchases new third party carts filled
>with aftermarket inks. No need to buy refilled canon BCI3 or BCI6 carts as
>there are many vendors who sell prefilled NEW third party carts and bulk
>inks. The most successful refilling at home is done in OEM carts after one
>uses the OEM ink. The least successful seems to be with some of the
>"improved" third party carts that are designed much differently from the OEM
>carts.

You can only refill the Canon carts so many times before they begin to
deteriorate.

> Burt wrote:
>
>>I'm afraid I didn't explain myself well enough for you to understand -
>>Companies who take in used carts and refill them appear to be the problem.
>>They would have a greater possibility of selling a cart that does not
>>function properly than someone who purchases new third party carts filled
>>with aftermarket inks. No need to buy refilled canon BCI3 or BCI6 carts
>>as there are many vendors who sell prefilled NEW third party carts and
>>bulk inks. The most successful refilling at home is done in OEM carts
>>after one uses the OEM ink. The least successful seems to be with some of
>>the "improved" third party carts that are designed much differently from
>>the OEM carts.
>>

> You can only refill the Canon carts so many times before they begin to
> deteriorate.

(snip)

You are quite right that you can only refill them so many times, but I
understand that the problem is less deterioration than dried ink eventually
making the sponge material unable to take up ink or the exit port filter
less able to release ink on demand from the printer. I have the original
OEM set, nearly a year old, still working with as many as 8 or 9 refills in
some of the carts. Recently one of them started to do some banding. The
fix was really simple. First blow gently into the air vent to see if ink
drips out of the exit port. If it is not coming out easily you can turn it
upside down, put 8 to 10 drops of alcohol in the exit port, seal the exit
port with the cap that came with the OEM cart (hold on with rubber band),
turn it back upright, open the fill hole, put it into the microwave (covered
in case something unexpected happens!), together with a glass of water to
absorb most of the microwave energy, and zap it at ten second intervals
until the reservoir part of the cart reaches about 150 - 160 degrees. Then
refill and let the little bit of alchohol-diluted ink drip out of the exit
port. Apparently, heating the cart with ink in it redesolves that tiny
amount of dried ink in the sponge/filter. This is about a ten minute
project. For someone who doesn't want to bother, you can instead buy a new
OEM cart and start the process of refilling over. Some people have had
great success buying Alotofthings carts and refilling them, and your initial
investment in the cart is much less.

Yes, Measekite, I have always been a tinkerer and that is why I had a
successful career as a rocket scientist. (just kidding!) Actually, my career
involved precision work in the range of fractions of millimeters with very
small tolerances using very precise instruments. Photography, woodworking,
car repair, gardening, ceramics, wood block printing, and fishing - these
are all things I enjoy as a rest from the more cerebral and demanding
efforts that my work of 40 years involved. Dealing with inks/carts
absolutely isn't rocket science. I'm not intimidated by a $150 printer and
the simplest of tasks, refilling ink carts. It is just a no-thought-process
quick task that I can do when necessary between prints.

Measekit when I rang him up re: the appalling colour rendition of the
refilled canon BC 6 photo cyan and photo magnenta and asked him whether
these were specifically formulated canon inks he appeared somewhat evasive.
He stated that his inks were the finest inks that he purchased from Germany.
These cartridges gave such a bad tint that they could not be adjusted even
with manual settings through my manual settings. All areas of my A4 printed
photos had a horrible bluey cast colour. The name of the ink refiller
franchise is 'Cartridge World' which refills your cartridges for $13 each
with their ink (BC6 series), which is not cheap for refilled cartridges in
Australia.

Cheers mate.

Ron from Downunder.

wazzad wrote:

>Measekit when I rang him up re: the appalling colour rendition of the
>refilled canon BC 6 photo cyan and photo magnenta and asked him whether
>these were specifically formulated canon inks he appeared somewhat evasive.
>He stated that his inks were the finest inks that he purchased from Germany.
>These cartridges gave such a bad tint that they could not be adjusted even
>with manual settings through my manual settings. All areas of my A4 printed
>photos had a horrible bluey cast colour. The name of the ink refiller
>franchise is 'Cartridge World' which refills your cartridges for $13 each
>with their ink (BC6 series), which is not cheap for refilled cartridges in
>Australia.

The USA price for a new Canon OEM BCI6 cart at Costco is $9.00. I do
not know what that translates to in Aussie dollars.

>Cheers mate.
>
>Ron from Downunder.

>>This is an example of what I have been professing on this NG for quite
>>some time but the members of the AfterMarket Club keep defending these
>>types of resellers.
>>
>>Do you happen to know the actual mfg/formulator of the junkie refills
>>you tossed?
>>
>>wazzad wrote:
>>

>>>Measekite I purchased my ink refill cartridges from one of the supposedly
>>>better ink cartridge refiller franchise stores. My bad experience with
>>>

>the
>

>>>colour reproduction was enough to make me dip into my pockets for the
>>>genuine canon ink cartridges and throw the ink refill cartridges in the
>>>

>bin,
>

>>>where they belonged. Over here in Australia there are many ink refillers,
>>>but my experiences have not been any good with any of them. Hope this
>>>

>helps.
>

>>>Cheers mate
>>>
>>>Ron from Downunder.
>>>

>>>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>printer.

>photographs

>>>are

>services.
>

>>>It

>>>our

>>>8500.

>results

>>>I'm

>>>Pixma?

BURT

> wazzad wrote:
>
>>Measekit when I rang him up re: the appalling colour rendition of the
>>refilled canon BC 6 photo cyan and photo magnenta and asked him whether
>>these were specifically formulated canon inks he appeared somewhat
>>evasive.
>>He stated that his inks were the finest inks that he purchased from
>>Germany.
>>These cartridges gave such a bad tint that they could not be adjusted even
>>with manual settings through my manual settings. All areas of my A4
>>printed
>>photos had a horrible bluey cast colour. The name of the ink refiller
>>franchise is 'Cartridge World' which refills your cartridges for $13 each
>>with their ink (BC6 series), which is not cheap for refilled cartridges in
>>Australia.
>>

> The USA price for a new Canon OEM BCI6 cart at Costco is $9.00. I do not
> know what that translates to in Aussie dollars.

(snip)

As I recall, you can not buy one at a time but must buy them in packs of
three with a cost of $31 per three pack. A bit more than $10 apiece plus
tax. Still cheaper per cart than the list price, but you need to buy three
of a color to save about $2 per cart. To effect this savings on your five
color printer you will need to spend $155 to purchase all the colors needed
for replacement at any given time. Effective savings is about $30. No
criticism intended. Just stating the facts on savings via Costco OEM Canon
carts.

But that's not the issue.

Although I do refill some cartridges, I also recognize there are more
perils involved. There is a risk of contamination during the refill
process from environmental contaminants or from changes within the ink
cartridge (dried inks, incompatibility between inks, foam breakdown,
build up of ink foaming, air bubbles trapped, etc) and the ink, which
may have been exposed to excessive oxygen and oxidized, over-evaporated
fluids or solvents, etc.. The ink cartridge which are virgin are
manufactured typically in a very hygienic and professionally managed
situation, and the cartridge is fresh when filled. There are many less
variables involved in a factory filled cartridge.

Art

Burt wrote:

>>wazzad wrote:
>>

>>>Measekit when I rang him up re: the appalling colour rendition of the
>>>refilled canon BC 6 photo cyan and photo magnenta and asked him whether
>>>these were specifically formulated canon inks he appeared somewhat
>>>evasive.
>>>He stated that his inks were the finest inks that he purchased from
>>>Germany.
>>>These cartridges gave such a bad tint that they could not be adjusted even
>>>with manual settings through my manual settings. All areas of my A4
>>>printed
>>>photos had a horrible bluey cast colour. The name of the ink refiller
>>>franchise is 'Cartridge World' which refills your cartridges for $13 each
>>>with their ink (BC6 series), which is not cheap for refilled cartridges in
>>>Australia.
>>>

>>The USA price for a new Canon OEM BCI6 cart at Costco is $9.00. I do not
>>know what that translates to in Aussie dollars.
>>

>(snip)
>
>As I recall, you can not buy one at a time but must buy them in packs of
>three with a cost of $31 per three pack. A bit more than $10 apiece plus
>tax.

No Shipping. You do not buy 1 ounce of ink at a time either.

>Still cheaper per cart than the list price, but you need to buy three
>of a color to save about $2 per cart.

INCORRECT AGAIN. Costco sells a 3 pack of color. One each of the
primary colors. These usually run out within weeks of each other. You
are actually purchasing one cart per color in the packaged. With the
dye black there are 3.

> To effect this savings on your five
>color printer you will need to spend $155 to purchase all the colors needed
>for replacement at any given time.

All of the colors do not go at one time. In the 8 months I have had my
printer I replaced all of the colors one time. Both blacks have not
been replaced. The price was about $27.00 for the colors. I have not
even received low warnings on the blacks.

>Effective savings is about $30. No
>criticism intended. Just stating the facts on savings via Costco OEM Canon
>carts.

Exactly!

Art

Burt wrote:

> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>

>>>Ink refillers, who take your cartridge and re"charge" it, are a different
>>>breed of ink vendor than 3rd party ink sellers, in general, although some
>>>do both.
>>

>>They may target a different audience but they get their raw materials from
>>the same places the "aftermarket" vendors get theirs from.
>
> (snip)
>
> Perhaps you missed Arthur's point - Refilling firms collect used cartridges,
> refill them, and sell them. They don't know how many times a cart has been
> refilled, what inks have been through them, or what the state of the sponge
> and exit port filter (BCI 6) are. Successful refilling by home or business
> users requires that the cartridge is not fully emptied before trying to
> refill, that it isn't permitted to dry out once removed from the printer,
> and that predictably good inks are used. Third party vendors of filled
> cartridges use newly manufactured carts, and reliable vendors fill them with
> reliable inks. Some vendors have been in business for many years and their
> products have proven to be reliable, as reported by users of their products.

Measkite, you need to READ what's written before replying:

How much clear can that description be?

Yes, think can change overnight with a ink vendor. Guess what? The
same thing can happen (and in fact has happened) with an OEM supplier.

I have seen several OEM companies change the "location" of their ink
facility. You think they are using the same inks? They aren't. They
hire new companies to make their inks.

Art

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> But that's not the issue.
>
> Although I do refill some cartridges, I also recognize there are more
> perils involved. There is a risk of contamination during the refill
> process from environmental contaminants or from changes within the ink
> cartridge (dried inks, incompatibility between inks, foam breakdown,
> build up of ink foaming, air bubbles trapped, etc) and the ink, which
> may have been exposed to excessive oxygen and oxidized,
> over-evaporated fluids or solvents, etc.. The ink cartridge which are
> virgin are manufactured typically in a very hygienic and
> professionally managed situation, and the cartridge is fresh when
> filled. There are many less variables involved in a factory filled
> cartridge.

And for a few dollars more you avoid the pain in the ass (for some)
There are people who like a pain in the ass. If my print load ever gets
to a point that I no longer want to pay for OEM ink my first step would
be to researched prefilled carts.

Also with all of the talk about BRANDS of ink I have not read much here
on BRANDS of cartridges. Who makes them and what ones are good and what
ones are poor.

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Measkite, you need to READ what's written before replying:

> How much clear can that description be?
>
> Yes, think can change overnight with a ink vendor. Guess what? The
> same thing can happen (and in fact has happened) with an OEM supplier.
>
> I have seen several OEM companies change the "location" of their ink
> facility. You think they are using the same inks? They aren't. They
> hire new companies to make their inks.
>
> Art

I understand this but in the case of Canon, Epson, and HP it is not so
much as who makes the ink as it is what they are making. In all of
these caes these companies own and control the ink formulations and the
inks are make to their specifications and the they also administer a
quality control program.

>>>The USA price for a new Canon OEM BCI6 cart at Costco is $9.00. I do not
>>>know what that translates to in Aussie dollars.>(snip)
>>
>>As I recall, you can not buy one at a time but must buy them in packs of
>>three with a cost of $31 per three pack. A bit more than $10 apiece plus
>>tax.
> No Shipping. You do not buy 1 ounce of ink at a time either.

Incredibly, as usual you are right again! Let me explain some simple math.
I am a low volume user of bulk inks so I buy them in 2 oz. containers. At
$5 per 2 oz. container for my six color printer I spend $30 for 2 oz. each.
That plus shipping is roughly equivalent to your purchase of three costco
OEM carts plus tax. An OEM cart has about 13 ml. of ink, but not all of it
is useable as you are warned to replace the cart before it totally runs out
of ink to protect your print head. A 2 oz. bottle of ink will give the
equivalent of five or more OEM cartridges. You are good at math - for my
$36 (the retail cost of three carts) I get the equivalent of more than 30
new carts, or an equivalent value of about $360 retail. For your $29
(estimating tax) you get ---uh---three carts for the equivalent value of
$36 retail.

You may now correctly reply that there is some labor involved and that is
worth something. Lets follow the labor expended. I buy the product on
line. Time expended is five minutes. Refilling each cart is less than five
minutes, including cleanup. Two and one-half hours max total. No extra
cash expended and actual cash flow of $36.

If you buy one set of carts at a time at costco (low volume user as you've
mentioned several times) you will have made 10 trips to buy a set of three
carts at a time. The Costco I go to is a 20 to 30 minute drive, depending
on traffic so this represents at least an hour per trip plus shopping time.
Of course, while I am there I can also buy the little five pound jar of
jelly-bellies, the small gallon size of olive oil, etc. If your Costco is
as busy as ours with customers buying enough food and paper goods to stock a
month cruise on the Queen Mary, you will endure a reasonably long wait at
the register to save your $9 per three cart package, while I can sit
comfortably at my desk and do the three refills in about ten minutes total
for a savings of $33 as compared to buying retail carts. Oh, I forgot that
at almost $3 per gallon you will have burned a few dollars worth of gas on
each trip to offset your savings. Since you have an MBA you are
sufficiently savvy to weigh the investment and inventory issues of buying
all carts at once to save shipping and handling (your trip to Costco in your
no-maintenance-required, never-needs-to-be-repaired Acura) vs. making more
trips, keeping less inventory on hand, and keeping your cash flow lower.
One trip to buy all of them - up front cash outlay of $270 plus tax and the
cost of one trip in time and gas. Ten trips to buy one set of three on each
trip - $270 cash outlay over several months plus the cost of ten trips in
time and gas. Now please don't forget that when you replace a cart you have
to open the package, pop the little orange seal, remove the tape, remove the
old cart, and replace it with the new one. Even you don't move at the speed
of light, much less sound. That's at least two minutes if you keep the carts
right next to the printer. I remove the cart, refill it, and replace it in
about five minutes.

Kidding aside, you will spend the time and gas money going to the store for
one to ten trips to buy (at retail or otherwise) the product while I can sit
at my desk during a printing session and spend no more time, total, to
refill my carts. I just purchased my second set of MIS 2 oz. bottles of
ink. In the almost one year of use on my I960 printer I have saved about
$325 in ink cost with prints you can not distinguish from OEM prints and
with no printer problems. Costco doesn't carry all the colors of the six
color printer, but if they did, buying my carts at Costco would have saved
me about $90 instead for the same amount of printing. I saved myself the
cost of two of my printers so far, instead of less than the cost of one of
yours. Of course, both of us have to go there to stock up on Kirkland
paper, the one you and I love to use, so that may skew the time element a
bit in your direction, but you can't refute the basic premise, even if you
can weasel a bit on a few pennies one way or another.

>>Still cheaper per cart than the list price, but you need to buy three of a
>>color to save about $2 per cart.
> INCORRECT AGAIN. Costco sells a 3 pack of color. One each of the primary
> colors. These usually run out within weeks of each other. You are
> actually purchasing one cart per color in the packaged. With the dye
> black there are 3.

Your epithet, "incorrect again", implies that most of my posts are
incorrect? I suppose, in contradistinction to your "always correct" posts.
I'll leave that conclusion up to the others who participate on this NG.

>> To effect this savings on your five color printer you will need to spend
>> $155 to purchase all the colors needed for replacement at any given time.
>
> All of the colors do not go at one time.

Never said they did. I said "purchase all the colors," not change all the
colors, at any given time. About your misinterpreting my post I should
really refrain from saying to you, "incorrect again."

In the 8 months I have had my
> printer I replaced all of the colors one time. Both blacks have not been
> replaced. The price was about $27.00 for the colors. I have not even
> received low warnings on the blacks.
>
>>Effective savings is about $30. No criticism intended. Just stating the
>>facts on savings via Costco OEM Canon carts.

BURT

There are many brands of cartridges out there of which Arrow, Rainbow, and
Accujet are a few. These are made by factories, probably mostly in China
where I suspect that the OEM carts are made as well. Some are also filled
with inks that have been identified by vendors by brand. I would not
comment on which carts are suitable as I have only refilled using OEM and
MIS empty carts. Both work well with bulk inks from MIS.

By saying that "There are people who like a pain in the ass" with respect
to refilling, you again use a pejoritive term as a semantic device to
convince people of your subjective opinion. A more accurate statement might
be that you wouldn't enjoy the hands-on involvement of refilling carts, and
you would prefer the simpler approach of buying and installing either the
OEM cart or possibly an aftermarket cart if you were convinced that it would
give equal performance and not harm your printer. That with full knowledge
that you are trading off convenience for some savings in cost. I believe
that would accurately state your opinion without second guessing and, at the
same time, criticizing others who don't mind refilling. It seems to me that
your abraisive and confrontative approach lessens your credability. More
civility is often more convincing.