DC Upgrade,a few oddites since

Had a ye ole regular Windows 2000 Server that we set up as a member server.
It stayed in that role for a few weeks. It was never running anything
really. No DNS/WINS/DHCP. Using DCPROMO last week, upgraded it to a domain
controller. We have 3 other Domain Controllers on our network and a Exchange
2000 Server. Still, it is NOT running DNS or WINS or DHCP.

One of the odd things I noticed, is when I go into ‘Active Directory Users
and Computers.’ I enable ‘Advanced View’ and right click on a
user>properties. I SHOULD be seeing 4 Exchange related tabs in the users
account (Exchange General, Exchange Advanced, Exchange Features, E-mail
Address).

But When I right click on a users account, these tabs never show up. They
are present on other Domain Controllers when I go into AD Users and Computers.

I looked in the event viewer on this new Domain Controller and I don’t see
any alerts/error messages in either ‘System’ or Directory.

Anyone have an idea of what went wrong?

Hi corntney

Looks like you need to install the exchange tools.

Regards

"Courtney R" wrote:

> Had a ye ole regular Windows 2000 Server that we set up as a member server.
> It stayed in that role for a few weeks. It was never running anything
> really. No DNS/WINS/DHCP. Using DCPROMO last week, upgraded it to a domain
> controller. We have 3 other Domain Controllers on our network and a Exchange
> 2000 Server. Still, it is NOT running DNS or WINS or DHCP.
>
> One of the odd things I noticed, is when I go into ‘Active Directory Users
> and Computers.’ I enable ‘Advanced View’ and right click on a
> user>properties. I SHOULD be seeing 4 Exchange related tabs in the users
> account (Exchange General, Exchange Advanced, Exchange Features, E-mail
> Address).
>
> But When I right click on a users account, these tabs never show up. They
> are present on other Domain Controllers when I go into AD Users and Computers.
>
> I looked in the event viewer on this new Domain Controller and I don’t see
> any alerts/error messages in either ‘System’ or Directory.
>
> Anyone have an idea of what went wrong?

Thanks for the tip......

Now where do I find these tools? Do I add them from the W2K Server CD,
Exchange 200 CD? or is it something I add by typing it in at the command
prompt?

Thanks

"The AD Designer" wrote:

> Hi corntney
>
> Looks like you need to install the exchange tools.
>
> Regards
>
> "Courtney R" wrote:
>
> > Had a ye ole regular Windows 2000 Server that we set up as a member server.
> > It stayed in that role for a few weeks. It was never running anything
> > really. No DNS/WINS/DHCP. Using DCPROMO last week, upgraded it to a domain
> > controller. We have 3 other Domain Controllers on our network and a Exchange
> > 2000 Server. Still, it is NOT running DNS or WINS or DHCP.
> >
> > One of the odd things I noticed, is when I go into ‘Active Directory Users
> > and Computers.’ I enable ‘Advanced View’ and right click on a
> > user>properties. I SHOULD be seeing 4 Exchange related tabs in the users
> > account (Exchange General, Exchange Advanced, Exchange Features, E-mail
> > Address).
> >
> > But When I right click on a users account, these tabs never show up. They
> > are present on other Domain Controllers when I go into AD Users and Computers.
> >
> > I looked in the event viewer on this new Domain Controller and I don’t see
> > any alerts/error messages in either ‘System’ or Directory.
> >
> > Anyone have an idea of what went wrong?

run exchange setup on the dc. install the management tools

regards

"Courtney R" wrote:

> Thanks for the tip......
>
> Now where do I find these tools? Do I add them from the W2K Server CD,
> Exchange 200 CD? or is it something I add by typing it in at the command
> prompt?
>
> Thanks
>
> "The AD Designer" wrote:
>
> > Hi corntney
> >
> > Looks like you need to install the exchange tools.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > "Courtney R" wrote:
> >
> > > Had a ye ole regular Windows 2000 Server that we set up as a member server.
> > > It stayed in that role for a few weeks. It was never running anything
> > > really. No DNS/WINS/DHCP. Using DCPROMO last week, upgraded it to a domain
> > > controller. We have 3 other Domain Controllers on our network and a Exchange
> > > 2000 Server. Still, it is NOT running DNS or WINS or DHCP.
> > >
> > > One of the odd things I noticed, is when I go into ‘Active Directory Users
> > > and Computers.’ I enable ‘Advanced View’ and right click on a
> > > user>properties. I SHOULD be seeing 4 Exchange related tabs in the users
> > > account (Exchange General, Exchange Advanced, Exchange Features, E-mail
> > > Address).
> > >
> > > But When I right click on a users account, these tabs never show up. They
> > > are present on other Domain Controllers when I go into AD Users and Computers.
> > >
> > > I looked in the event viewer on this new Domain Controller and I don’t see
> > > any alerts/error messages in either ‘System’ or Directory.
> > >
> > > Anyone have an idea of what went wrong?

Courtney,

As The AD Designer stated, you will need to install the Exchange Tools on
the Domain Controllers in order to see the Exchange related tabs. I would
also suggest that if you are running Exchange 2000 SP3 then after you do the
custom install ( in order to install the tools ) that you also drop in the
Exchange 2000 Service Pack 3 CD and install that. It is important to have
the tools all at the same 'specs'.

I would also suggest that you might consider doing all of your AD work from
a workstation that has the Adminpak installed instead of sitting at a Domain
Controller ( either directly in front of it or via RDP or via some version
of VNC or whatnot ).

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24012

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"Courtney R" <CourtneyR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Had a ye ole regular Windows 2000 Server that we set up as a member
> server.
> It stayed in that role for a few weeks. It was never running anything
> really. No DNS/WINS/DHCP. Using DCPROMO last week, upgraded it to a
> domain
> controller. We have 3 other Domain Controllers on our network and a
> Exchange
> 2000 Server. Still, it is NOT running DNS or WINS or DHCP.
>
> One of the odd things I noticed, is when I go into 'Active Directory Users
> and Computers.' I enable 'Advanced View' and right click on a
> user>properties. I SHOULD be seeing 4 Exchange related tabs in the users
> account (Exchange General, Exchange Advanced, Exchange Features, E-mail
> Address).
>
> But When I right click on a users account, these tabs never show up. They
> are present on other Domain Controllers when I go into AD Users and
> Computers.
>
> I looked in the event viewer on this new Domain Controller and I don't see
> any alerts/error messages in either 'System' or Directory.
>
> Anyone have an idea of what went wrong?

TRENDING THREADS