Deploying Java 5 through Group Policy not installing IE pl..

Sun's Java 5 JRE ships as an InstallShield-generated MSI package. I can
extract the MSI from the executable installer, and I can Assign it to a
domain's machines through Group Policy. However, it seems to skip a crucial
step: Registering with the web browser.

Java otherwise installs correctly and I can run Java applets independent of
IE.

Is there a simple way to register the Java Plug-in with IE after installing?
Perhaps something I can add to the domain login script or something I could
put into a second MSI package I can make myself?

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E): <http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting@pan-am.ca.asc>
Prevent problems before they happen and help others avoid bad design.

the msi should have some swicthes, you could then write a script which will
do what you require.

--
The AD Designer
(For a limited period only)

"Gordon Fecyk" wrote:

> Sun's Java 5 JRE ships as an InstallShield-generated MSI package. I can
> extract the MSI from the executable installer, and I can Assign it to a
> domain's machines through Group Policy. However, it seems to skip a crucial
> step: Registering with the web browser.
>
> Java otherwise installs correctly and I can run Java applets independent of
> IE.
>
> Is there a simple way to register the Java Plug-in with IE after installing?
> Perhaps something I can add to the domain login script or something I could
> put into a second MSI package I can make myself?
>
> --
> PGP key (0x0AFA039E): <http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting@pan-am.ca.asc>
> Prevent problems before they happen and help others avoid bad design.
> <http://www.pan-am.ca/antiwindowscatalog/>

> the msi should have some swicthes, you could then write a script which
will
> do what you require.

This being Sun using InstallShield, they didn't provide any documentation on
command line switches.

It's funny if it would require switches, as all of the options I need are
their defaults. Unless the MSI has a script that checks what browser you
have, which could fail if running as the SYSTEM user (which is what happens
when you Assign an application through GP).

Next stop, Sun's support site.

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E): <http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting@pan-am.ca.asc>
Prevent problems before they happen and help others avoid bad design.
<http://www.pan-am.ca/antiwindowscatalog/>

That was easier than I thought. For future reference:

<http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000011100.xml>

I had to create a transform (MST) file using Orca (the MSI editor that MS
provides for free) that changed one property (iexplorer to "1"). Then I had
to add the transform file to the Java package with the "Advanced Assign or
Publish" option in Group Policy.

Unfortunately, I can't post the MST file because the transform will be
different depending on the version of the JVM you install. And there's no
way to specify a command line option in Group Policy that I could see.

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E): <http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting@pan-am.ca.asc>
Prevent problems before they happen and help others avoid bad design.
<http://www.pan-am.ca/antiwindowscatalog/>

TRENDING THREADS