Roaming profiles query?

If this is in the wrong group perhaps someone could let me know where it
should go?

I have a really really simple question about the different types of logins
you can have when you've joined a domain. The reason is because I want to
design an office where about 20 people can hot-desk between machines...

I've made my computer join a domain hosted by a Primary Domain Controller.
Great.

When I login, I can either keep my work locally on the "client" computer, or
have the account setup as a roaming profile which downloads the profile from
the server to a local copy, then synchronises the data on logout.

However lets assume someone has a 2Gb email database. That a hell of a lot
of data to transfer. Then lets assume you've got 20 of them. Come login time
the network is going to get thrashed.

Is there another type of login I'm too stupid to know about where all the
data is all kept on the server and you simplyuse it off the server?

If not can I modify the policies for a roaming profile so that certain
folder are excluded (basically email data)

I'm trying to make a system were people's My Docs folder, bookmarks etc. can
follow the around the network, but not necessarily there email. We don't use
Exchange for email, just POP. So would using an IMAP mail account reduce the
thrashing the server and network receives?

If anyone has links to "idiots guides to hot-desking" web sites that would
be fabulous.

TIA.
5 answers Last reply
More about roaming profiles query

    bonge

    exclude the outlook path via group policy user configuration\administrative
    templates\system\user profiles\exclude directories in roaming profile

    "Bonge Boo!" wrote:

    > If this is in the wrong group perhaps someone could let me know where it
    > should go?
    >
    > I have a really really simple question about the different types of logins
    > you can have when you've joined a domain. The reason is because I want to
    > design an office where about 20 people can hot-desk between machines...
    >
    > I've made my computer join a domain hosted by a Primary Domain Controller.
    > Great.
    >
    > When I login, I can either keep my work locally on the "client" computer, or
    > have the account setup as a roaming profile which downloads the profile from
    > the server to a local copy, then synchronises the data on logout.
    >
    > However lets assume someone has a 2Gb email database. That a hell of a lot
    > of data to transfer. Then lets assume you've got 20 of them. Come login time
    > the network is going to get thrashed.
    >
    > Is there another type of login I'm too stupid to know about where all the
    > data is all kept on the server and you simplyuse it off the server?
    >
    > If not can I modify the policies for a roaming profile so that certain
    > folder are excluded (basically email data)
    >
    > I'm trying to make a system were people's My Docs folder, bookmarks etc. can
    > follow the around the network, but not necessarily there email. We don't use
    > Exchange for email, just POP. So would using an IMAP mail account reduce the
    > thrashing the server and network receives?
    >
    > If anyone has links to "idiots guides to hot-desking" web sites that would
    > be fabulous.
    >
    > TIA.

    On 9/6/05 2:16 pm, in article
    E5932C7E-E162-4805-AECB-C5FD46C891FD@microsoft.com, "The AD Designer"
    <TheADDesigner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > bonge
    >
    > exclude the outlook path via group policy user configuration\administrative
    > templates\system\user profiles\exclude directories in roaming profile

    As I don't have a Windows server to play with, just a Samba based one, is
    this something I can do on the Admin account on each of the desktops? Go
    round on each desktop and do? And if so could I do a Registry export of the
    relevant keys? Might speed it up a bit.

    One major worry is the crash/resync situation. Does the server overwrite the
    client, or can the client force a sync on restart and then login?

    Please read your initial question. what does this have to do with SAMBA?

    --
    The AD Designer
    (For a limited period only)

    "Bonge Boo!" wrote:

    > On 9/6/05 2:16 pm, in article
    > E5932C7E-E162-4805-AECB-C5FD46C891FD@microsoft.com, "The AD Designer"
    > <TheADDesigner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > bonge
    > >
    > > exclude the outlook path via group policy user configuration\administrative
    > > templates\system\user profiles\exclude directories in roaming profile
    >
    > As I don't have a Windows server to play with, just a Samba based one, is
    > this something I can do on the Admin account on each of the desktops? Go
    > round on each desktop and do? And if so could I do a Registry export of the
    > relevant keys? Might speed it up a bit.
    >
    > One major worry is the crash/resync situation. Does the server overwrite the
    > client, or can the client force a sync on restart and then login?

    On 9/6/05 4:15 pm, in article
    4E967E19-6D14-4CDE-86A6-4BC7BA15ED7B@microsoft.com, "The AD Designer"
    <TheADDesigner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Please read your initial question. what does this have to do with SAMBA?

    Err. Everything. I don't think I said anywhere that I was using a Windows
    server as the PDC, or as the machine hosting the roaming profiles. Any SAMBA
    server can replace a Windows server for this purpose quite happily, which is
    what I am doing.

    I just wanted to get clear in my mind the different types of accounts a user
    can have on a domain.

    My question about how I would exclude certain folders, by editing the group
    policies on the client machines still stands.

    And again: One major worry is the crash/resync situation. Does the server
    overwrite the client, or can the client force a sync on restart and then
    login

    Hi

    you are posting in microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory its
    kinda assumed unless specified you are using MS servers

    :-)

    --
    pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Roaming Profiles Active Directory Windows