Brother Printer software

My sister's printer would not work. I uninstalled the software and
then, because her cd rom was not working, installed the software
drivers from the web instead of from disk. Now when I put a document
in the slot for scanning it does not invoke the scanning software. As
near as I can tell it doesn't even have scanning software. I don't
know if it ever had scanning software. It did install a brother
directory and has a fax set up program and a few other set up programs
but no scanning software. Shouldn't it automatically run when you
put a document in the printer? How can I make it scan?
5 answers Last reply
More about brother printer software

    Is the printer also a scanner and a fax machine? In other words, is it an
    all-in-one machine? If not, you won't be scanning, faxing or copying
    anything. The fact that your sisters CD-ROM drive is not working is a flag.
    Get the CD drive working and then remove the printer software you installed.
    Then try the printer installation again.

    <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote:

    > My sister's printer would not work. I uninstalled the software and
    > then, because her cd rom was not working, installed the software
    > drivers from the web instead of from disk. Now when I put a document
    > in the slot for scanning it does not invoke the scanning software. As
    > near as I can tell it doesn't even have scanning software. I don't
    > know if it ever had scanning software. It did install a brother
    > directory and has a fax set up program and a few other set up programs
    > but no scanning software. Shouldn't it automatically run when you
    > put a document in the printer? How can I make it scan?

    Erm...talk about a vague request! It would help us help you if you gave
    a few details, such as: what model of Brother? what version of the
    software? what OS? etc., etc., etc.

    cheers,

    Henry

    Henry wrote:
    > <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote:
    >
    > > My sister's printer would not work. I uninstalled the software and
    > > then, because her cd rom was not working, installed the software
    > > drivers from the web instead of from disk. Now when I put a
    document
    > > in the slot for scanning it does not invoke the scanning software.
    As
    > > near as I can tell it doesn't even have scanning software. I don't
    > > know if it ever had scanning software. It did install a brother
    > > directory and has a fax set up program and a few other set up
    programs
    > > but no scanning software. Shouldn't it automatically run when you
    > > put a document in the printer? How can I make it scan?
    >
    > Erm...talk about a vague request! It would help us help you if you
    gave
    > a few details, such as: what model of Brother? what version of the
    > software? what OS? etc., etc., etc.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > Henry

    It is a multi function Brother 3240C. She has XP. I assume since I
    downloaded the drivers from the web it is the latest version. I guess
    what I should have also asked was......If you use drivers from the web
    do they come with all the functions as the disk that comes with the
    machine.

    My printer will run a scanner program when I put a document in the
    scanner slot. After installing the drivers for her printer I cant'
    even find scanner software to manually run.

    Kevin wrote:
    > Is the printer also a scanner and a fax machine? In other words, is
    it an
    > all-in-one machine? If not, you won't be scanning, faxing or copying
    > anything. The fact that your sisters CD-ROM drive is not working is
    a flag.
    > Get the CD drive working and then remove the printer software you
    installed.
    > Then try the printer installation again.
    >
    > <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote in message
    > > My sister's printer would not work. I uninstalled the software and
    > > then, because her cd rom was not working, installed the software
    > > drivers from the web instead of from disk. Now when I put a
    document
    > > in the slot for scanning it does not invoke the scanning software.
    As
    > > near as I can tell it doesn't even have scanning software. I don't
    > > know if it ever had scanning software. It did install a brother
    > > directory and has a fax set up program and a few other set up
    programs
    > > but no scanning software. Shouldn't it automatically run when you
    > > put a document in the printer? How can I make it scan?

    I ordered a CD Rom when I got home that night but I really don't think
    it has anything to do with the functions of the printer. I would like
    to be able to install the original disks to see if it contains software
    that the drivers from the web does not.

    You would think, though, that software from the web would be fully
    functional.

    Brother multifunction software can be flakey with XP SP-2 The first thing to
    try is to obtain a utility available on the brother website that cleans
    things up. Then try installing the downloaded driver package, or a CD pased
    package. Even with all this, I have one PC that has known good USB drivers
    and hardware, yet will only work fully with a 420CN when the printers LAN
    port is used. By fully, I mean all functionality, including fax. The PC in
    question has SP2 modules that were installed before sp2 was public. In
    addition, the PC has certain services disabled (Hard disabled) as a security
    measure. For instance, remote management cannot be enabled, because key
    modules are not available. The final conclusion was that the registry
    entries and configuration on this PC is enough different from the norm to
    cause problems with the brother software. Oddly enough, all other USB
    related software, drivers, and devices do not have a problem on this PC,
    including some that give many users problems.

    <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote in message
    > My sister's printer would not work. I uninstalled the software and
    > then, because her cd rom was not working, installed the software
    > drivers from the web instead of from disk. Now when I put a document
    > in the slot for scanning it does not invoke the scanning software. As
    > near as I can tell it doesn't even have scanning software. I don't
    > know if it ever had scanning software. It did install a brother
    > directory and has a fax set up program and a few other set up programs
    > but no scanning software. Shouldn't it automatically run when you
    > put a document in the printer? How can I make it scan?

Printers Software Brother Peripherals