How do you set up a Global Catalog server?

jay

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Does anyone have any brief instructions as to how to define an existing
Win2K DC as a GC?

Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

open AD sites and services.
browse to the servers NTDS settings container.
sites/sitename/servers/servername/ntdssettings
Go to the properties of NTDS settings.
check the box on the general tab to promote to GC.

--
Glenn LeCheminant
CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security

"Jay" <JJay@jalopy.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any brief instructions as to how to define an existing
> Win2K DC as a GC?
>
> Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

What if the box doesnt exist? WIn2003.

"Glenn LeCheminant" wrote:

> open AD sites and services.
> browse to the servers NTDS settings container.
> sites/sitename/servers/servername/ntdssettings
> Go to the properties of NTDS settings.
> check the box on the general tab to promote to GC.
>

> --
> Glenn LeCheminant
> CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security
>
> "Jay" <JJay@jalopy.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone have any brief instructions as to how to define an existing
> > Win2K DC as a GC?
> >
> > Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

I am sure that there is something behind this question.

If the box does not exist then you clearly can not make it a Global Catalog
Server. Now, the box probably does not exist because it is not a Domain
Controller. All Global Catalog Servers are Domain Controllers but not all
Domain Controllers are Global Catalog Servers.

Does this help?

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24012