I broke DNS, I think ...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

So I've got the ADS/GC that seems to be working OK but I think I found
somewhere I might have broken DNS. My domain is home.domain.com. So that's
what I setup for a forward lookup zone and an according reverse lookup zone.
I seem to be able to get out to the web and all without issues but I seem
some strange things.

If I drop to a command prompt and do a ping or nslookup on say,
www.microsoft.com; instead of getting back www.microsoft.com
[ip.address.of.server] I get back www.microsoft.com.home.domain.com
[external.ip.of.cablemodem].

What did I do wrong here, it's like it's forcing my internal domain to be a
suffex on everything I lookup, including things that aren't local. How do I
fix this?

Thanks,

-brian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

Make sure on your clients and DC/server that your DNS Server in the TCP/IP
settings are set to your DC's IP and only your DC's IP (unless you have a
secondary *internal* DNS server).

Then on your DC setup DNS to have forwarders, add your cable companies (or
any public) DNS servers into this list.

This way your DC manages DNS inside the router on your home network but when
it can't find an address (say microsoft.com) it will ask a public DNS server
for the record.

-Les