NT4 migration w2k3

> Now, I have NT4 domain that migration to Windows server 2003.
> If I join a new w2k3 member server in NT4 domain.
> Can I DCPROMO the w2k3 to DC to replace NT4 PDC??

This will result in a new domain being created and rejoining your users to
the new domain and resetting up all profiles.

On a NT 4.0 domain the NT 4.0 PDC is the only DC that holds a writeable copy
of the SAM. The only way to carry that NT 4.0 SAM into the AD domain is to
upgrade the PDC first.

To move to Win 2k3 from NT you either upgrade by upgrading the existing PDC
first or migrate by setting up the Win 2k3 domain "side by side" on the same
wire and using ADMT to migrate your users from the NT domain to the AD
domain.

You may also remove Win 2k3 from the new server and install NT 4.0 on it as
a BDC while connected to your existing domain, promote to PDC, then upgrade
to Win 2k3.

You should research each way to determine which way suits your environment
best. Each has it's pro's and con's you need to be aware of them to make an
informed decision.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"towacow" <towacow.1qde4o@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> Now, I have NT4 domain that migration to Windows server 2003.
> If I join a new w2k3 member server in NT4 domain.
> Can I DCPROMO the w2k3 to DC to replace NT4 PDC??
>

> --
> towacow
> towacow's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2111

Does your exisiting PDC meet the requirements to be upgrade to windows 2003.
If not the easiest method would be to rebuild the new server as a NT 4
server - ensuring you have all the correct drivers. create it as an NT 4 bdc
and move the pdc role to it then upgrade to 2003.

This method will take the domain from nt 4 to AD and you do not have to
change domain membership of the pc's, and the users are upgraded to an AD
domain with no changes as they would experience it.

You will obviously have to give consideration to DNS and a DNS name - but
checkout plenty of ms articles on the considerations for an in-place upgrade.