Internal DNS naming convention

My understanding is microsoft recommend you use a fully qualified name that
is registered.

I have heard the following extensions used for an internal dns suffix,
".internal" and ".pri". With windows 2000 MS suggested you use ".local" - but
no more.

Is there an official dns suffix yet for internal usage, if not what do MS
recommend for an internal AD suffix.
1 answer Last reply
More about internal naming convention

    This is a hotly contested question. I can not tell you what Microsoft
    recommends ( pretty sure, though, that .local would be the 'main' answer ).
    You can use anything that you like, really ( just as long as that
    'extension' does not become used on the Internet..... ).

    For simplicity I usually suggest using the same internal as external.

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24012

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "aa1uk" <aa1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My understanding is microsoft recommend you use a fully qualified name
    > that
    > is registered.
    >
    > I have heard the following extensions used for an internal dns suffix,
    > ".internal" and ".pri". With windows 2000 MS suggested you use ".local" -
    > but
    > no more.
    >
    > Is there an official dns suffix yet for internal usage, if not what do MS
    > recommend for an internal AD suffix.

Microsoft DNS Active Directory Windows