Internal DNS naming convention

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 9, 2005 5:21:02 PM

My understanding is microsoft recommend you use a fully qualified name that
is registered.

I have heard the following extensions used for an internal dns suffix,
".internal" and ".pri". With windows 2000 MS suggested you use ".local" - but
no more.

Is there an official dns suffix yet for internal usage, if not what do MS
recommend for an internal AD suffix.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:58:45 PM

This is a hotly contested question. I can not tell you what Microsoft
recommends ( pretty sure, though, that .local would be the 'main' answer ).
You can use anything that you like, really ( just as long as that
'extension' does not become used on the Internet..... ).

For simplicity I usually suggest using the same internal as external.

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24012

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com