Domain name/replication issues

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hey Everyone!

I currently have a DC named "Fileserver" on my domain which I need to
replace. I want to build a new server, install AD, allow replication so that
I have all the AD info on the new server, then use the new server to replace
the old one (the old server will no longer be on the network).

My problem is - I need the new server to have the same name, "Fileserver",
(and the same IP, but I don't think that will be a problem!) as the old
server.

Is there a way I can do this? I built the new server and called it
"Fileserver2", just to test the replication - which works fine.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!
Thank you,
- Rob

"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey Everyone!
>
> I currently have a DC named "Fileserver" on my domain which I need to
> replace. I want to build a new server, install AD, allow replication so
that
> I have all the AD info on the new server, then use the new server to
replace
> the old one (the old server will no longer be on the network).

It is easiest to UPGRADE the server even if you wish to
change hardware.

> My problem is - I need the new server to have the same name, "Fileserver",
> (and the same IP, but I don't think that will be a problem!) as the old
> server.

Especially in that case.

> Is there a way I can do this? I built the new server and called it
> "Fileserver2", just to test the replication - which works fine.

Not really. Renaming DCs requires Win2003 most advance domain
mode (or DCPromo to regular server which defeats your purpose.)

Do it this way: Backup old server -- restore old server to new hardware
(optionally just pull and move System/Boot drive if that is all on C: or
one disk spindle.)

On the new hardware run the Repair Install to straighten out any
hardware glitches (practically always works but you still have both
the old hardware AND the backup.)

The above is mainly for Win2000 since in Win2003 they made it
so that an ASR Backup and Restore does most of it for you since
doing the above Repair Install turned out to be so effective at switching
hardware.

ASR = Automatic System Repair

Repair Install (and even ASR) are the best kept secrets in Win2000+.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE