Sign in with
Your question

Need a decent graphics card upgrade (that can play Oblivion)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 18, 2006 3:04:52 PM

Hi,

I have a computer that's a few years old and I'm looking to upgrade a few things. I'd like to be able to play Oblivion on it as well. I don't need it to be on the highest settings, but enjoyable enough, and I'd like to play other new games as well if I so desire.

Ok, so I have an HP Pavilion 764n with the basics it came with -- I haven't upgraded anything yet. It's a 2.66 Ghz Processor, Win XP, 512 PC2100 / PC1600 DDR SDRAM (I plan to upgrade to 1GB), and an NVIDIA Geforce4-MX440 128 MB DDR (AGP interface card).

According to Gamespot, my video card doesn't even satisfy the minimum requirements for the game. The recommended is an ATI Radeon x800 or GeForce 6800. Minimum is GeForce 5700 or Radeon 9500.
What I'd like to know is how well the game would play with the recommended, which one would work better for my computer, or any other recommendations instead of these cards. I am on a budget, and would like to stay under $150--but if it would make a huge difference, I don't mind spending an extra $10-20. Any more than that would be pushing it, as I need to buy a new monitor as well.

I also wouldn't mind if anyone could tell me whether this is even worth it--will the game play smoothly enough on my computer or would it be a waste of money to upgrade it?

Thanks for any help.
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2006 3:13:56 PM

Forget any FX, forget the R9500.

The X800 would be the better between the X800 and GF6800.

Unfortunately you're on AGP so your options are limited.

And based on the list provided the X1600Pro can be had for your price range and would outperform the GF6600s, but the X800s would top that.

Ati's been having a sale on their site recently and some of their X800 series have been going for cheap.

I'd suggest looking there.
Related resources
July 18, 2006 3:14:33 PM

I don't think it'll be a waste. You won't get the greatest frame rates with a 2.66ghz processor, but if you upgrade the graphics card and the ram, you should be able to play it with medium settings fairly well. I've ordered an X850Pro for the same reason you're upgrading. The ole' 9600 wasn't cutting it in Oblivion. I'd suggest buying either an X850Pro or an X800XL from ATI.com. They're on clearance and come with free shipping and warranties. The X800XL's are refurbished by ATI, but should run like new. Here's a link:

http://shop.ati.com/searchresults.asp?dept_id=39

There's several of us AGP gamers on the board who have capable CPU's, but just haven't had the money to upgrade to PCI-E. This is probably the most cost-effective solution.

Just another note: If you order the X850Pro, you can flash the bios to X850Xt PE and get 4 more pipelines and hight clock speeds, which means much more perfomance for $0. However, they haven't got the shipment in for the X850Pro's yet, so it might be a week or two before they're going to ship them out, as opposed to the X800XL which is in stock.
July 18, 2006 3:22:46 PM

I can tell you right now you will not play Oblivion with an AGP card. You are like me you need a new computer system, starting with an PCI express motherboard.
July 18, 2006 3:32:02 PM

Quote:
I can tell you right now you will not play Oblivion with an AGP card. You are like me you need a new computer system, starting with an PCI express motherboard.

AGP will do fine in Oblivion. It has more to do with the card's specs than it's interface. In fact, AGP is just as fast or fater in many games as it's PCI-E counterpart. Here's a comparison of AGP vs. PCI-E using an X800XL:

http://www.tcmagazine.info/articles.php?action=show&sho...

Pretty interesting.
July 18, 2006 3:32:31 PM

Thanks for the quick replies.

The x850Pro looks like a decent price. I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks if it's a good card. You think that's the best bet for me?

Do others play Oblivion with AGP or am I really pushing it?
July 18, 2006 3:34:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies.

The x850Pro looks like a decent price. I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks if it's a good card. You think that's the best bet for me?

Do others play Oblivion with AGP or am I really pushing it?

I've ordered an X850Pro AGP to play Oblivion. It should run it fairly well, but of course not the best, as any card thrown at Oblivion is shredded. Oblivion is an extremely demanding game.
July 18, 2006 4:02:23 PM

When you say shredded, how high are your standards? I'm (obviously) not a serious gamer.
July 18, 2006 4:05:52 PM

Hi,

I'm playing oblivion with:

Athlon XP3000
1Gb PC2700 RAM
GeFOrce 6800 Ultra (AGP)

It plays very well with settings set at medium.
July 18, 2006 4:18:55 PM

Quote:
When you say shredded, how high are your standards? I'm (obviously) not a serious gamer.

What I mean is, you're going to have to adjust the graphics options a lot to get the game to run smoothly and look ok. Even the top of the line cards need some adjustment in Oblivion to run smoothly. It's just a very, very demanding game.
July 18, 2006 4:26:52 PM

Quote:

AGP will do fine in Oblivion. It has more to do with the card's specs than it's interface. In fact, AGP is just as fast or fater in many games as it's PCI-E counterpart. Here's a comparison of AGP vs. PCI-E using an X800XL:

Pretty interesting.

I guess if you like playing games at 800x600 resolution and crappy graphics you could play it barely. But then what is the point if you can't enjoy the graphics?
July 18, 2006 4:28:58 PM

Quote:
What I mean is, you're going to have to adjust the graphics options a lot to get the game to run smoothly and look ok. Even the top of the line cards need some adjustment in Oblivion to run smoothly. It's just a very, very demanding game.

Oh ok.

I'm confused about something...why is the x800 better than the x1600? Isn't 1600 the later model?
July 18, 2006 4:35:19 PM

Quote:

Pretty interesting.

I guess if you like playing games at 800x600 resolution and crappy graphics you could play it barely. But then what is the point if you can't enjoy the graphics?
You obviously didn't read the article, so here's a picture:

July 18, 2006 4:38:56 PM

Quote:

Oh ok.

I'm confused about something...why is the x800 better than the x1600? Isn't 1600 the later model?
The X800 is faster, as in more pipelines, faster clock speeds, etc. but it's built on older technology and doesn't have some of the features the X1600 does, like shader model 3. However, since you're getting an AGP card to update an old system, you really don't need some of those new features and you will need the fastest card for your money, i.e. the x850Pro or x800XL.
July 18, 2006 4:47:30 PM

Quote:

Oh ok.

X800 is the high-end of the previous generation. x1600 is the mid-grade model of the current generation. The x1600 supports some newer features (I believe Shader Model 3.0 to be one of them) but the internal hardware (# of pipelines etc) doesn't match up to the x800. Check out the interactive VGA charts and you'll see the X800 outperforms the x1600 easily.
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2006 4:55:00 PM

Hi LisaXC,
Your PC could be upgraded cost-efficiently - it is still pretty good.
AGP vidcards actually cost a bit more than their PCI-E counterparts, but not too much to be a big deal.
You must upgrade your memory, and of course your vidcard.
You have single-channel DDR memory, and a compact case with tiny powersupply...
Therefore I recommend adding at least 1GB of PC3200 memory.
Do you have 1 x 512MB now? You don't have 2 x 256MB do you?
PC3200 is inexpensive. Stock up!
I would not spend a great deal of $$ on a new vidcard - but you can improve the heck out of YOUR vidcard, for cheap :^)
A Radeon X1600 Pro (512MB) is very inexpensive. A GeForce 6800 (512MB) is a bit more, but still inexpensive.
Any 'killa' vidcard (like GeForce 7800 AGP) will cost big, and strain your powersupply.
ATI X800 is excellent, it's practically an X850 and their performance is great - but they too will suck power and cost more than X1600. It should! (better vidcard) but I dunno, can't say... they are not current.
Suppose you got Radeon X1600 and 1.5GB RAM - could you play Oblivion?
Sure... no problem. But you won't be getting all the candy, LoL ;^)
That game brings EVERYTHING to its knees...
Regards
July 18, 2006 5:02:46 PM

I see. So the 850 pro is still the best bet for me then?

I was just looking at the specs/requirements on ATI's site, and I want to make sure my puter can take it. If you don't mind, could you take a look at my puter's specs for me? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us...

I assume if it says it has 1 4x AGP expansion slot, that's the extra one that ATI requires besides the one on the motherboard. But seeing as I know very little about this, I'd appreciate if someone could clear it up for me before I buy it. (Also, is 4x enough for the game?)

Thanks...I really appreciate all this.
July 18, 2006 5:02:52 PM

Quote:

OK... first, I think that your name gives everything away. I've run Oblivion on a 9700Pro and on a 6600go at settings better than you describe and its not unplayably slow. Since a card like an x800xl is about twice as fast as either of these it SHOULD run better even with higher settings. Sure you can't crank it up all the way on an x800, but then again I can't do that on my 7800GT either...

-mcg
a c 365 U Graphics card
July 18, 2006 5:11:55 PM

Quote:

Oh ok.

Think in terms of family generations instead of simply just model numbers.

The most recent ATI generation is the Radeon X1xxx line which includes:

X1900XTX
X1900XT
X1900GT
X1800XT
X1600XT
X1300

You can use model numbers here to determine which is the faster card.

The previous ATI generation is the Radeon Xxxx series which includes:

X850XT
X850XL
X800XT
X700
X300

Again, You can use model numbers here to determine which is the faster card.

The difference between the two generations basically boils down to features. For example the X800 will not allow for HDR (High Dynamic Range) in Oblivion, but the X1600XT will give you the option to run with HDR even though it is a slower video card. Overall, newer generations are faster than older generation video cards.

HDR (High Dynamic Range) is light effect that makes graphics more realistic. For example, it is mid afternoon on a bright sunny day. You are standing next to a building and look up to stare at the sun.

Non HDR = You will see the sun as a simple bright circle in the blue sky.

HDR = You will see an extremely bright halo around the sun blotting out part of the sky. You look towards the building an notice that the bright light sort of "bleaches" the colors of the building because it is such a bright and sunny day.
July 18, 2006 5:13:05 PM

If you are going to get an X8x0 series card I'd recommend an XL or XT if you can find them. The Pro models have fewer pipes, so even at higher clocks they aren't as fast. 4x AGP should be fine. From what I've read 8x AGP doesn't help much in most cases, even with the fastest cards.
The only potential problem I can see is with your power supply, and the website doesn't list specs for it. You might want to look into replacing it although I'm not sure if HP uses standard ATX power supplies, or if they use non-standard supplies like Dell and friends...

-mcg
July 18, 2006 5:16:49 PM

Quote:
Hi LisaXC,
AGP vidcards actually cost a bit more than their PCI-E counterparts, but not too much to be a big deal.

Hi,

I have 1 512mb, with 1 spare slot. I was planning to buy another 512, as I can get the one I need (PC3200-- PNY D512MPC32OPT) for about $45. Would 1 gb total (my current one is pc2100...hope they mix well?) not be enough?

Quote:
A Radeon X1600 Pro (512MB) is very inexpensive. A GeForce 6800 (512MB) is a bit more, but still inexpensive.
Any 'killa' vidcard (like GeForce 7800 AGP) will cost big, and strain your powersupply.
ATI X800 is excellent, it's practically an X850 and their performance is great - but they too will suck power and cost more than X1600. It should! (better vidcard) but I dunno, can't say... they are not current.

The x850 pro seems to be cheaper than the x1600...so if it'll serve me just as well, I'd prefer the 850.

Quote:

I would not spend a great deal of $$ on a new vidcard - but you can improve the heck out of YOUR vidcard, for cheap :^)

You mean the card I have now? How so?

Thanks again!
July 18, 2006 5:23:31 PM

Quote:
Hi LisaXC,

Hi,

I have 1 512mb, with 1 spare slot. I was planning to buy another 512, as I can get the one I need (PC3200-- PNY D512MPC32OPT) for about $45. Would 1 gb total (my current one is pc2100...hope they mix well?) not be enough?

Quote:

The x850 pro seems to be cheaper than the x1600...so if it'll serve me just as well, I'd prefer the 850.

Quote:

You mean the card I have now? How so?

Thanks again!
1gb total should be enough, but more wouldn't hurt. I dont know what that guy is talking about, but I wouldn't listen to him.
July 18, 2006 5:25:05 PM

Oops...just realized my puter can only support up to pc2100, so the 3200 won't even help me much, will it?
July 18, 2006 5:33:13 PM

Quote:
If you are going to get an X8x0 series card I'd recommend an XL or XT if you can find them. The Pro models have fewer pipes, so even at higher clocks they aren't as fast. 4x AGP should be fine. From what I've read 8x AGP doesn't help much in most cases, even with the fastest cards.
The only potential problem I can see is with your power supply, and the website doesn't list specs for it. You might want to look into replacing it although I'm not sure if HP uses standard ATX power supplies, or if they use non-standard supplies like Dell and friends...

-mcg

ATI does have a refurbed XL for a good price...I'll have to look closer into that.

How can I find out about my power supply?
July 18, 2006 5:34:39 PM

I play it at medium settings and at 800x600 resolution with a Geforce 6600GT AGP... Game plays smoothly and the graphics are enjoyable enough....

System:

P4 3.0 Ghz
1 Gig RAM
Geforce 6600GT (AGP)
Soundblaster Audigy
July 18, 2006 5:48:47 PM

Quote:

How can I find out about my power supply?

You'll have to take the side off of your case and look on your power supply. It should have a label that will tell it's total watts.
July 18, 2006 5:52:31 PM

Quote:
Oops...just realized my puter can only support up to pc2100, so the 3200 won't even help me much, will it?

You can use PC3200 in a computer that supports PC2100. It won't run at PC3200 speeds, but it'll work fine.

As for the power supply, removing the case cover and writing down whatever info from the power supply that you can would be helpful. Especially the distribution of amperage across the different voltages.
Should look something like this(Stole this from another thread):

-mcg
July 18, 2006 5:57:12 PM

your processor is a bit slow for oblivion you might want to think about overclocking if possible. Try to aim for 3ghz if you can.
July 18, 2006 6:04:28 PM

Quote:
your processor is a bit slow for oblivion you might want to think about overclocking if possible. Try to aim for 3ghz if you can.

First of all, she has an HP system so, more than likely, she won't be able to overclock. Second, that's probably past her abilities. Her CPU should be adequate for Oblivion.
July 18, 2006 6:07:04 PM

Quote:

You can use PC3200 in a computer that supports PC2100. It won't run at PC3200 speeds, but it'll work fine.

Does that affect much or is pc2100 sufficient?

As for the power supply, removing the case cover and writing down whatever info from the power supply that you can would be helpful. Especially the distribution of amperage across the different voltages.
[/quote]

Thanks. I'm at work now, so it'll ahve to wait for another time, but when i have a chance I'll open it up.
July 18, 2006 6:15:00 PM

Quote:

First of all, she has an HP system so, more than likely, she won't be able to overclock. Second, that's probably past her abilities. Her CPU should be adequate for Oblivion.

I agree. I don't see oblivion as being terribly CPU dependent unless its a REALLY slow CPU. With a decent graphics card and enough RAM Oblivion should run playably.

-mcg
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2006 6:16:50 PM

Quote:

You are living up to your name with comments like that. The $120 X800XL that I'd also say is the best bang for buck AGP upgrade card now, outperforms a 7600GT in Oblivion when using fsaa. It just lacks the ability to do HDR. A X850Xt will outperform a 7800GT in Oblivion. Shoot, I played Oblivion for quite a while at 10x7 medium with HDR on a 6800U AGP.

Here is a X800XL in Oblivion.
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_mainstream...
July 18, 2006 6:32:01 PM

Quote:

Does that affect much or is pc2100 sufficient?

RAM speed shouldn't be too big of a deal. It can help, but there is nothing you can do about it without upgrading your entire system anyway.

Quote:

Thanks. I'm at work now, so it'll ahve to wait for another time, but when i have a chance I'll open it up.

No rush... its funny though since I'm at work too :D 

Quote:
A X850Xt will outperform a 7800GT in Oblivion. Shoot, I played Oblivion for quite a while at 10x7 medium with HDR on a 6800U AGP.

It will??!!! I think I'm going to cry :cry: 

-mcg
July 18, 2006 6:48:22 PM

Quote:

The difference between the two generations basically boils down to features. For example the X800 will not allow for HDR (High Dynamic Range) in Oblivion, but the X1600XT will give you the option to run with HDR even though it is a slower video card. Overall, newer generations are faster than older generation video cards.

Would my computer even be able to handle HDR or is it completely out of the question? If I can't get it and the 1600 can't offer me anything more than the 800's do, then I guess (once I determine my power supply) it's a question between the x850 Pro, x800XL and x800XT?
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2006 6:57:44 PM

Don't cry. :wink: You get to use HDR while the X850XT owner can't but can instead use fsaa and a bit higher details in the outdoor areas.

I figured I better provide one link supporting that claim.

1280x1024 high with bloom
7800GT average 19.4 minimum 10 fps
X850XT average 20.9 minimum 15 fps
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2746&p=5

And look how well the X850XT did against the 7800GT in the medium quality tests which is more what the 7800GT and X850XT can handle: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2746&p=7

In that one, the X800XL > 7800GT. Now it may be time to cry. :p 
July 18, 2006 7:06:35 PM

There's also bloom, which looks similar to HDR, and the X800's support bloom. You're really not missing out on anything if you don't have HDR enabled. Considering you need all the raw power you can get, because you're on a low end system, your best bet is to get the X800XL or X850Pro from ATI.com.
July 18, 2006 7:17:34 PM

Quote:
There's also bloom, which looks similar to HDR, and the X800's support bloom. You're really not missing out on anything if you don't have HDR enabled. Considering you need all the raw power you can get, because you're on a low end system, your best bet is to get the X800XL or X850Pro from ATI.com.

Ok great. Thanks :) 
July 18, 2006 7:18:52 PM

Quote:

Ok great. Thanks :) 
Be sure to check your power supply though. It's crucial.
July 18, 2006 7:20:48 PM

Quote:

Yeah, before I buy anything I'll check that out and get back to you guys. Do the cards on clearance at ATI's site usually sell out quickly?
July 18, 2006 7:22:34 PM

Quote:

Yeah, before I buy anything I'll check that out and get back to you guys. Do the cards on clearance at ATI's site usually sell out quickly?
I have no idea. If I had to guess, though, I'd say no. They're AGP and last generation cards, so I'm geussing they're not in high demand.
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2006 7:27:39 PM

Quote:
I dont know what that guy is talking about, but I wouldn't listen to him.

Something wrong, friend? If you don't know what I'm talking about, I won't hold it against you - we are all learning.
Re: Improve your current card for cheap - I mean buy a new inexpensive one.
PC3200 memory will run perfectly well @ PC2100 or PC2700 speeds - it will run better actually, and costs the same :^)
Add 1 x 512MB, very inexpensive. Or add 1GB!
With 1536MB, then, one day in future you can yank the 512 stick and install a second 1GB...
L8R
July 18, 2006 7:54:33 PM

Quote:

Re: Improve your current card for cheap - I mean buy a new inexpensive one.
PC3200 memory will run perfectly well @ PC2100 or PC2700 speeds - it will run better actually, and costs the same :^)
Add 1 x 512MB, very inexpensive. Or add 1GB!
With 1536MB, then, one day in future you can yank the 512 stick and install a second 1GB...
L8R

Well, since my computer seems to be pretty outdated already, I don't want to put too much money into it. By the time I want more than 1gb memory, I may want a new computer already. Not gonna buy one now, but I'd like to put the least amount of money into this one on things I can't use in a later model (ie. I'll be more picky about my monitor, since I would use it with my next puter as well).
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2006 8:03:50 PM

LoL :^) I understand completely.
I was just pointing out that memory is inexpensive and you need 1GB minimum.
Vidcards (and powersupplies) can cost more...
Good luck to you,
Regards
July 18, 2006 8:07:58 PM

Quote:

Actually, 1gb is the recommended. 512 is the minimum.
a c 365 U Graphics card
July 18, 2006 9:22:39 PM

Quote:

Would my computer even be able to handle HDR or is it completely out of the question? If I can't get it and the 1600 can't offer me anything more than the 800's do, then I guess (once I determine my power supply) it's a question between the x850 Pro, x800XL and x800XT?

It's not the question of the CPU, but of the graphics card. Since the only AGP card in the current generation of ATI Radeons is the X1600Pro. But you are trading in a lot of performance just to get eye candy when you compare it to a X800 series card.

I forgot to mention about the BLOOM effect. As Gary_Busey pointed out, it is similar to HDR, but it doesn't look as "nice". But you will not take a substantial performance hit using bloom. HDR will cause a bigger performance hit.
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2006 9:29:59 PM

Quote:

Actually, 1gb is the recommended. 512 is the minimum.
That was my policy until BF2 came out. In BF2 1GB is the minimum and 2GB my recommendation for smooth gameplay.
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2006 9:33:08 PM

Quote:
1gb total should be enough, but more wouldn't hurt.

Your own words... and I agree exactly. (It is inexpensive.)
Hey, I have 512MB in my old Pentium2-400, y'know? She is trying to play Oblivion... you need 512MB vidcard not system RAM, LoL.
Do they actually say that for Oblivion - 512MB minimum? Good luck, heheheh. Wouldn't you agree that is, ahem - optimistic, Gary_Busey?
Not a very pleasant playing experience,
Regards
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2006 9:35:57 PM

This Tweakguide comes in very handy for getting the most out of your system in Oblivion. There is a HDR vs bloom screenshot as well as a description of both on that page.
a c 365 U Graphics card
July 19, 2006 12:26:36 AM

This is just plain Oblivion. No bloom or HDR:

This is bloom:

This is HDR:

!