Bounty System

As I think I've mentioned before, I'm a Neverwinter Nights veteran who
just started Morrowind recently.

One of the many things I'm finding that I really like about Morrowind is
how they handle thieves and murderers, ie the bounty system.

I've decided to write a bounty system plugin for NWN builders who want
this kind of thing for their modules or online worlds. To that end, I'm
looking for FAQS or any other information that describe:

1. Any "generic" events that increase your bounty other than
murdering, thieving, or opening locks you shouldn't

2. How is the increase in bounty determined when you do something
illegal

3. If you choose the jail option, how long do you stay for different
bounty levels

The one thing I think that I'm going to add is an option that when your
bounty goes over a certain level, that jail no longer becomes an option
- those guards are out for blood only. :)

John Baker <baker-j@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>As I think I've mentioned before, I'm a Neverwinter Nights veteran who
>just started Morrowind recently.
>
>One of the many things I'm finding that I really like about Morrowind is
>how they handle thieves and murderers, ie the bounty system.

It's a shame there aren't any bounty hunters in Morrowind. Someone
needs to make a variant of the bloodmoon assassians. Have them come
looking for you when you have a bounty, and stop when it's removed.

>I've decided to write a bounty system plugin for NWN builders who want
>this kind of thing for their modules or online worlds. To that end, I'm
>looking for FAQS or any other information that describe:
>
>1. Any "generic" events that increase your bounty other than
> murdering, thieving, or opening locks you shouldn't
>
>2. How is the increase in bounty determined when you do something
> illegal

If you're caught without success, it seems to be 5 or 10 gold, but
sometimes as much as 50. But if you're detected and get away with
the items, it's the value of the merchandise you took. Murder seems
to be somewhat random. It's usually somewhere in the area of a $1000,
but something else must play a role, because it's not always.

>3. If you choose the jail option, how long do you stay for different
>bounty levels

Not really sure, I've only let my self be carted away twice.
I know the effects are stronger, the longer your stay though.
Your skills and stats are hit with a permanent loss of points

I guess bread, water and the occasional rat don't do much
for you.

>The one thing I think that I'm going to add is an option that when your
>bounty goes over a certain level, that jail no longer becomes an option
>- those guards are out for blood only. :)

That's the way it works in morrowind. After several crimes, and several
thousand gold you earn a death warrant.

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 00:32:09 GMT, John Baker <baker-j@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>The one thing I think that I'm going to add is an option that when your
>bounty goes over a certain level, that jail no longer becomes an option
>- those guards are out for blood only. :)

That's already true. I'm not sure just what the level is, but I've read
on this NG that if you kill too many people without making reparations,
they won't let you go to jail any more.
--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

Greg Johnson <gsj@labyrinth.net.au> wrote in message news:<ofujf0t7j3ajprke3c7aieh4bl6je8bu4m@4ax.com>...
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 00:32:09 GMT, John Baker <baker-j@ix.netcom.com>
> wrote:
>
> >The one thing I think that I'm going to add is an option that when your
> >bounty goes over a certain level, that jail no longer becomes an option
> >- those guards are out for blood only. :)
>
> That's already true. I'm not sure just what the level is, but I've read
> on this NG that if you kill too many people without making reparations,
> they won't let you go to jail any more.

Can't you just go to the thieves guild and pay the bounty there?

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 05:31:14 GMT, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) ":phant" <phant@usagi.comix> wrote:

>It's a shame there aren't any bounty hunters in Morrowind. Someone
>needs to make a variant of the bloodmoon assassians. Have them come
>looking for you when you have a bounty, and stop when it's removed.

That sounds like a great idea, though the level of the bounty hunters
should be based on the amount of the bounty on a characters head. For
example if the bounty on a character is 1,000 gold or less, NO random
bounty hunters will spawn (normal guard encounters should be enough)...

With a bounty of say 1,001 - 1,999 gp a single random 10th level bounty
hunter will spawn from time to time near the character and attack. With
maybe a bounty of 2,000 - 2,999 TWO 15th lever bounty hunters (with
increased weapons, armor, HP's, strength, agility, etc...) might spawn.
And for maybe every 1,000 gp increase in bounty, an additional bounty
hunter would randomly appear, all of them at +5 level, so that by the
time a character has a bounty of say 19,000 gold on their head, they'll
be randomly attacked by groups of 19 level 100 bounty hunters.

Then if a character STILL doesn't want to pay off the bounty on their
head, the number of level 100 bounty hunters could be increased by 5 for
every additional 1,000 gp bounty increase. I suspect that even God-Like
EVIL characters would quickly grow tired of being constantly attacked by
large numbers of High Level bounty hunters, especially if some of the
bounty hunters also have enhanced ranged or spell attacks! ^_^

Granted, such a bounty system MIGHT <L> inspire some high level (not
normally evil) characters to go on a killing spree or two or three for
awhile, just for an opportunity to once again enjoy a few tough fights
before they retire from the game...

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.