tersagun

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
Hello,

I want to have an AGP card with 2 monitor outputs. My first question is, does any card with a DVI slot, have a conventional VGA output as well? Meaning that every card with a DVI output supports dual monitor output?

And I need your suggestions, which card would you suggest me for dual monitor gaming, in the 100-150$ area?

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Hello tersagun,
I have a nice old AGP rig here, and I put a Radeon X1600 Pro (AGP8x / 512MB) in it, very inexpensive.
It has 1 regular VGA-out, 1 DVI-I out, plus TV-out.
You can easily adapt the VGA for dual-DVI output, or adapt the DVI for dual-VGA output :^)
Regards

tersagun

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
I decided to go for Sapphire X800 GTO. With this card, I can play a game in one monitor and display desktop (surfing/chatting...) on the other one, right?

Do you all agree with me? :)

obagong

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
no i have bought the sapphire x1600 AGP 256MB but then I have £80 to burn and I might be wrong I will tell you if i am I don' t worry about it we all make decisions and some times we are wrong I will tell you if i am but I have made it so therfore I am right until I prove otherwise and it will be by my own reasons and expectaqtions that either prove or validate this card. Lets see how it goes.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
You can display the desktop on the other monitor, indeed every nVidia card since the GeForce 4 Ti series can do that.

However, if you are running a game full screen on Monitor 1, then as soon as you click anything on Monitor 2 the game will minimise.

Also, some games wont scroll properly when you move the cursor over the edge as it will goto the other monitor. (this is solved either by disabling the 2nd screen or using a tool like Ultramon to lock the mouse to the first screen.)

There are other modes availible, a 'clone' mode to replicate the same image on both screens, usefull for presentations etc, and a 'span' mode so that Windows sees both screens as one ultra wide monitor.

The problem with gaming on said ultra wide virtual monitor is that the split between them is right in the middle, horrible for FPS games.

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
If you can afford $10 more then I'd for for the linked 7600gs for $160. It has both dvi and analog outputs and an adaptor will turn the dvi into another analog output.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130036

Unfortunately they are currently out of stock but this is the best card out of everything suggested so far.
I'm going to have to disagree with that. You can go to ATI.com and get an X800XL for $120 and it has both a DVI and Analog output, and will outperform a 7600GS.

aj6065

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Hello,

I want to have an AGP card with 2 monitor outputs. My first question is, does any card with a DVI slot, have a conventional VGA output as well? Meaning that every card with a DVI output supports dual monitor output?

And I need your suggestions, which card would you suggest me for dual monitor gaming, in the 100-150$ area?

Here is everything you're looking for.
Newegg Search