Nvidia cheating again? with 16 bit precision...

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Here's a shot of two images from Rydermark:

ATI
atishader.jpg

Nvidia

nshader.jpg

hball

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
ATI's looks nicer, especially on the water. Nicer shadows, and quality.

Interesting.

Really quite interesting, as I see the Nvidia pic being nicer, just look at the boat; its lines are smoother and less jagged than the ATI pic.

hball

Vash-HT

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I thought the same thing, the water up close may look different, but I wouldnt say the ATI pic is especially better. Things in the distance look better in the nvidia pic to me, especially the boat and the waves coming off it.

zyberwoof

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
The ATI one looks photoshoped to me...

ati-nvidiacomparison.jpg

In the box I have drawn on each picture you can see where on the ATI photo there is a discrete line. On the left side is how the water looks on the rest of the ATI photo. On the right side, the water matches the water on the nvidia photo.

I'm not a graphics or photoshop pro by any means but that is what it looks like to me.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
The only difference I can see is the shade of blue on the water, neither looks actually lower in color depth but the ATI one appears to be much lighter. If anything I'd agree that the Nvidia one actually looks better due thanks to the water's darker color and it blending better with the edges.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
The ATI one looks photoshoped to me...
I agree. Flipping back and forth between the images, the ATI one distinctly looks like it has been sharpened in Photoshop in the region around the boat and its wake.
Looks like the poster is cheating if you ask me.
I don't doubt that there may be a visible difference due to the 16bit precision, I just don't think that this pic is the proof.

-mcg

Arlaine

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Hehe, thats pretty funny, but its so horribly photoshopped, im not sure which side the inquirer has decided to take on that particular article, but theyre definately trying to push something.
You can see for yourself if you switch between the two pictures fairly quickly, you will notice that there is a section that looks like someone took the sharpen tool to it, its really quite easy to see and could have been far better done. -_-

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Hehe, thats pretty funny, but its so horribly photoshopped, im not sure which side the inquirer has decided to take on that particular article, but theyre definately trying to push something.
You can see for yourself if you switch between the two pictures fairly quickly, you will notice that there is a section that looks like someone took the sharpen tool to it, its really quite easy to see and could have been far better done. -_-

Copycat! :D

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
I have to agree too. I've been using Photoshop for a while, and the waves in the ATI capture look like sharpened. It's really noticeable.
And there's that line to the left of the boat, on the right edge of the image...
Really suspicious... :?

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I have to agree too. I've been using Photoshop for a while, and the waves in the ATI capture look like sharpened. It's really noticeable.
And there's that line to the left of the boat, on the right edge of the image...
Really suspicious... :?

I also noticed a 'line' that cuts UP out of the water.

Look off from the boat at approx. 10 o' clock.... part of the fence where a person is standing behind it is lightened and sharpened along with the water.

I call Photoshopped,.. and on top of that, must've used a mouse.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
That was my first impression when i saw this on the inquirer website.
WTF!?! nvidia's looks better.

Then if you switch between the two quickly in the same spot you'll realize the water just gets brighter in the ATI pick.

Then there are those obvious cropping lines some of you have highlighted.

I think we just caught the Inquirer spreading FUD once again.

I have work to do right now, but i wasn't busy i'd run a difference filter on those two pictures and see what comes up..
should be a big jagged box over the water if its a photoshop job. :wink:

ATI's looks nicer, especially on the water. Nicer shadows, and quality.

Interesting.

Well at least you noticed what WAS different. BRAVO!
w00tmd6.gif

Whereas alot of other people here seem to making up differences in order to convince themselves of something.
Seriously people, it's a benchmark rendered on a predetermined path with the image taken at the same point, do you not know that there's image apps out there that can analyze the diff? ML obviously doesn, and I bet the InQ does too. Which is why the accusations of Fanbois against the InQ is faQin' hillarious.

ML, I'll save you the time, if you haven't already done it yet to your own embarassment. Here's the pixel per pixel differences;
rydermarkcomparetexturesvb8.jpg

Now show me those areas of difference outside the water again, like the thing in the distance or was that distant water?
faqck0.gif

Now obviously thee's a difference, the question for the author's or Rydermark is what the refrast, and who's the one not measuring up.

So let me understand the counter argument that people are trying to make here. IT doesn't mater that someone may be rendering this incorrectly you prefer the partial precision (kinda like vasoline on a lense, eh? :roll: ) so therefore it's ok, or damn the InQ for brinding it to anyone's attention.

Maybe I'm mis-rendering you argument due to your lack of precision people, set me straight, explain your position cause I'm missing your points obviously. Sounds like the typical mentality of the ends justifying the means. I guess we've got a bunch of BarryBonds-BenJohnson suporters here, or maybe I need some of what you guys are taking.
pillsqz1.gif

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
nvidia seems anti-aliased to me. It could be some difference on the AA algorithm for instance.
nvidia looks better to me. The sharp water area and blurred landscape just dont seem to fit in the ati scene.

PhoenixKnight

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Wow, that has got to be the worst lasso job I've ever seen in Photoshop. If they were going to cheat this blatantly, they should've at least taken the extra 5 minutes to use the polygonal lasso or quickmask and done it right.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
If you brighten that picture of yours you can clearly see the cropping marks around the water.

inquirercheating.jpg

Furthermore i went ahead and applied the sharpen more filter on the nvidia screen shot... and well anything look familiar?

inquirercheating2.jpg

It seems that the ATI card is equipped with a photoshop sharpen filter that improves quality.
You heard it first at the Inquirer. :lol: