What are the best programs to use with windows 7 ultimate

LCorral77

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Hello,
I have windows 7 ultimate on my system and i would like to know what the best compatible programs are for my OS.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
As Herr_Koos said it would be helpful to know what you use your computer for to make specific recommendations. There are many free programs available that can be useful to most computer users. I'll list some of the ones that I find useful and that work well in Windows 7.

"CCleaner" is a very popular program for cleaning out a lot of the junk that builds up in your system like browser history, temp files, etc.

"VLC Player" a media player that has the uncanny ability to play just about any media file you can throw at it, including broken files that stump other players.

"Open Office" a free alternative to paid office programs.

"Irfanview" very competent image viewer and editor.

"Audacity" a sound recorder with many options. By default, it will not record "Stereo Mix" in Windows 7, but it is easy to enable.

"Thunderbird" a good free email program, since Windows 7 does not come with one.

"Google Earth" If you want to travel, but you don't have any money.

For more choices go to Gizmo's Freeware Reviews where you will find an extensive list of useful programs.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/

Also you may want to check out alternatives to Windows built-in Internet browser. Other browsers like Firefox, Chrome and Opera all have their fans, but since they're free you can try them all and pick your favorite.

Of course, the two most important programs you should have on your computer are a good anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall program and a backup program. There are some good paid and free security programs. Check Gizmo's list.
As far as backup goes, you can use Windows built-in backup or opt for something with more options. The important thing is use something, don't wait. These forums have frequent visitors wanting to know how to recover their important files because something went wrong.

---Max