NT 4.0 PDC to 2000 SERVER AD admt question

Hello,

I would like to upgrade NT 4.0 PDC to Windows 2000 Server Active
Directory on to a new hardware.

Have a question on the ADMT tool :

If source domain is different than target domain that means
all workstation have to rejoin the new domain ?

Thanks,

Andras Kende
http://www.kende.com
7 answers Last reply
More about 2000 server admt question

    I mean if source and target domain has to be different at admt and
    windows 2000 domain cant be renamed,
    then the workstations still be the member of the old domain ???

    admt:
    source domain: OLDDOMAIN
    target domain: NEWDOMAIN

    But how all workstations will be changed to NEWDOMAIN membership ?
    under their system properties > computer name > member of domain:
    page?

    Thanks,

    Andras Kende
    http://www.kende.com

    You mean:

    1. upgrade nt4 to w2k old hardware
    2. dcpromo w2k old hardware
    3. install clean w2k on new hardware dcpromo

    (this should be additional dc ??)

    4. FSMO transfer role
    5. dcpromo down old hardware

    Andras Kende
    http://www.kende.com

    You don't need to migrate the objects with ADMT, simply upgrade the NT4 machine
    to 2K and then DCPromo the new hardware, move the FSMO roles, then dcpromo down
    the old NT4 upgraded machine.

    www.joeware.net

    andras@kende.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to upgrade NT 4.0 PDC to Windows 2000 Server Active
    > Directory on to a new hardware.
    >
    > Have a question on the ADMT tool :
    >
    > If source domain is different than target domain that means
    > all workstation have to rejoin the new domain ?

    ADMT has an option to migrae workstations as well as users account

    --
    Tomasz Onyszko
    http://www.w2k.pl

    andras@kende.com wrote:
    > I mean if source and target domain has to be different at admt and
    > windows 2000 domain cant be renamed,
    > then the workstations still be the member of the old domain ???
    >
    > admt:
    > source domain: OLDDOMAIN
    > target domain: NEWDOMAIN
    >
    > But how all workstations will be changed to NEWDOMAIN membership ?
    > under their system properties > computer name > member of domain:
    > page?

    <quote>
    Computer Migration

    One of the most overlooked ADMT features is the Computer Migration
    Wizard. At first glance, it appears this feature is used only to
    re-create identical computer accounts within Active Directory. However,
    the tool goes much further than that. Remember that logging on to a
    Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 workstation with a new user account, even
    with the same login name, creates a new user profile on the machine.
    This means all previous settings, such as desktop appearance, shortcuts,
    and printers, are lost. This can cause problems for users and the
    administrators that support them. The Computer Migration Wizard can
    dispatch an agent to the NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 workstation that will
    migrate all local user profiles, so when the users log on to the
    workstation with their new Windows 2000 account, they will receive the
    same profile settings as before.
    </quote>

    --
    Tomasz Onyszko
    http://www.w2k.pl

    Joe Richards [MVP] wrote:
    > You don't need to migrate the objects with ADMT, simply upgrade the NT4
    > machine to 2K and then DCPromo the new hardware, move the FSMO roles,
    > then dcpromo down the old NT4 upgraded machine.

    Joe, Andres wants to change the name of a domain with this migration -
    that how it looks for me form his question and his next posts

    --
    Tomasz Onyszko
    http://www.w2k.pl

    andras@kende.com wrote:
    > You mean:
    >
    > 1. upgrade nt4 to w2k old hardware
    > 2. dcpromo w2k old hardware
    > 3. install clean w2k on new hardware dcpromo
    >
    > (this should be additional dc ??)
    >
    > 4. FSMO transfer role
    > 5. dcpromo down old hardware

    Yes- this is correct procedure - You have to ensure also to have DNS
    server with AD data zone on new server and to make this new server also GC.

    --
    Tomasz Onyszko
    http://www.w2k.pl

Domain Servers Active Directory Windows